“Excellent customer service, location and room”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Upper house is beyond amazing. I stayed in Hong Kong for 8 days in 3 hotels. The first couple nights I stayed at Marriott near the airport which was pretty good too but very standard room in Hong Kong. Then I stayed one night in Hyatt in grand central and that experience was pretty bad because the hotel is really old and the suite was really small compared to the money spent. The remaining nights I stayed at Uppder House and the experience was EXCELLENT.
ROOM: The room is double of the size compared to the regular rooms in most of 4 or 5 star Hong Kong hotels although half of the room is used for bathroom space. I love the free snack and drink bar especially when I returned to the hotel late at night. The Hotel uses "REN" skincare products and I LOVE IT! They gave you one cosmetic bag full of REN products everyday even though you don't finish them. I had harbor veiw 70 room and the view is really amazing. I also loved the sitting area next to the huge windows over looking the ocean. I had my coffee and snack early in the morning or late at night looking at the view and listening to the iPod jazz songs the hotel provides. They also provide free wifi.

SERVICE: The customer service is amazing too. I had a package delivered oversea and the front desk helped me to track it while I was out. When I returned, it was sitting on my desk already. Anything I asked, they figured it out for me with very professional manner.

FOOD: I went to the 49th floor for breakfast and I wouldn't recommend it. There are TONS of good food out there. The breakfast was fancy but wayyyy over priced.

LOCATION: Excellent location. It's right next to Marriott and connected to Pacific Place which is one of the stops of subway, but it has the quietness outside of the busy mall. In my opinion, the location is great.

The ONLY thing I am a little bit disappointed is Upper House is sort of like an "Apartment" not really a "hotel", so it gives you lots of comfort feeling of a "home", so maybe that's the reason they don't have pool and spa. Therefore, I went to spas at both Mandarin Oriental and Ritz-Carlton. If you don't care about the 116th floors ocean view of Ritz-Cariton, you should consider going to the spa in Mandarin Oriental which is much better. I love their extra facilities and relaxation room.

If you are willing to spend a little extra money, Upper House is definitely your choice.

Room Tip: I stayed at 70 harbor view room on 39th floor and it's excellent and very very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer C
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Thank you for your detailed feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House. It is pleasing to hear that you rated us positively in comparison to other hotels during your stay in Hong Kong. It is wonderful to know also that you rated our service and location so highly.
We do aim to provide a more “home feel” environment hence our physical design lacks an abundance of leisure outlets. Being so close to other spas in the vicinity we do recommend several nearby spas as well as in-room massage services. The especially spaciously appointed bathrooms make for an ideal in-room spa experience.
Please do contact me personally if I may assist you with any future travel arrangements to Hong Kong or any other Swire Hotel.

Hong Kong

Write a ReviewReviews (2,391)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

It was my second time visiting The Upper House but it was the first time I have spent two nights in the Hotel. The location of the hotel is very good. It does not take long to tourists attraction as well it does not take long to causeway bay. We have had a really nice and spacious room where nothing was missing. If you are visiting this hotel, do not forget to take a drink in the bar and enjoy the wonderful view to Kowloon. As well the restaurant is a very good address. I wish I could spend more time at this wonderful place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Cathy

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write this review.
We are glad to know you enjoyed The Upper House.
Hopefully you will have more time to spend with us during your next visit to Hong Kong.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel has it all - location, service, view, design, comfort. The only thing i didn't find was a swimmingpool. I used the tub in my oversized bathroom instead, having a great view over Hongkong and looking at the news on the tv.

Comfortable beds with duvet blankets, a great minibar where i prepared excellent espresso.

The hotel is placed above the pacific place mall, where you can do all shopping needed. Chanel, dior or zara, at your choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank flyhighstaylow
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Hands down from arrival to departure the best service we have ever experienced. It was almost like they were reading your mind...
Both at the Cocktail bar with amazing views, as in the wonderful Restaurant we were stunned by the spotless-perfect service. Thanks so much for a wonderful experience!!! Made our weekend-stay in HK a wonderful experience and we'd always come back...

Room Tip: Harbour view is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PrimroseLady
Reviewed 22 March 2012

What is a sanctuary for me? A place where the most beautiful design meets the most impressive and ultimate comfort. It's also a place where you'll find a dedicated team trying their really best to anticipate all your needs and providing the highest standard of service. Consequently, it's really hard to find a sanctuary and more especially in a city where, usually, people are always in a rush. A sanctuary is also a kind of cocoon, a "home sweet home" where leaving from is so hard... It's something so special like a gem and when you find one, trust me, it gives a very amazing emotion...

A few days ago, maybe i've had one of the most incredible emotion of my life cause i not only find a urban sanctuary but THE urban sanctuary, the place i consider as the most fantastic city hotel of the world where everything has exceeded all the expectations.

First of all, The Upper House is superbly located between Central and Causeway Bay, up to the most elegant mall of Hong Kong. It offers stunning views on the bay but on the city as well and do not think the mountain view is uninteresting cause all the rooms facing the mountain offers a green breathtaking scenery and actually this is maybe my favorite view cause it's so relaxing.
All the accommodations of this very special and exclusive hotel are just amazing. Starting with 700sq. feet, all the studios and suites will be a peaceful and very elegant retreat during your entire stay. The Upper House has been designed by the very talented Andre Fu and the result is more than exquisite. The choice for materials is excellent and you'll fall in love for the scheme of colors melting light green with purple, grey and bright wood. Everything is beautiful and just unique and what to say about the bathrooms... I almost lost my voice the first time i saw the most sexiest bathrooms in the world with an elevated water area with a deep bathtub and a fabulous view on the city.

The Upper House is also the place where you'll find the most exclusive amenities ever. A very good selection of REN products but a very special comfort kit as well comparable as the one you could find in the best Airline First Class, a beautiful shopping bag and a very practical travel bag. I've been just impressed by it and hot milk and cookies during the turn down service is really well thinking. I loved the complimentary maxi bar with jar of candies and cookies replenished every day. very very special...

So, let's say i've been again so satisfied about this hotel which has a very important space in my heart. However, after my first visit, THE urban sanctuary as i like to qualificate this hotel, i complained a bit about the service which was not as good as i expected. This new visit erased the impression of my first visit a few years ago. Now, the team of The Upper House is absolutely amazing. Each person working in this hotel is incredibly nice, friendly and professional. They really don't stop to try their best to make your stay unforgettable and memorable. Everybody will greet you by your name with always a nice word. It's remarkable how great is the improvement and the management team headed by Dean Winter is simply fantastic. The Guest Relations manager Paul is adorable and he really makes our time in this property the most delightful time of our life.... I really want to thank all this team for this great job.

Now you understand that a stay at The Upper House is one of the most special thing to do in a life. Nothing can be better in Hong Kong, in Asia, in the world. This property is the most beautiful possible and you'll be treated as somebody very special at each second of your stay. It's not so pricey if you consider this is THE hotel experience of your life. just FANTASTIC... I'm total FAN...

Room Tip: An Upper Suite is like your own luxury flat in the heart of HK offering more then 1200 sq. feet of s...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RCBLHKG

Many thanks for this detailed review. We very much appreciate the time you took to write about your impressions on your recent stay in such a detailed manner! We are much honored that The Upper House has a special place in your heart. We do try to delivery exceptional service and it is feedback such yours which motivates our team.
We are looking forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This boutique hotel is really very, very nice!! The rooms and bathrooms are uber sexy and trendy and this has made us come back here.
Staff is very professional and helpful.
I have a gluten intolerance so I went to their restaurant and I asked what gluten free options they could reccomend me. Upon returning to my room, I found a freshly printed gluten free menu with my name on it, so it's easier for me to decide and order food in the future. Pretty awsome service :)

I gave the hotel a 4 star rating because unlike The Shangri-La, Marriott, Conrad and Four Seasons it doesn't have direct access to the Mall. Also, it doesn't have a SPA, a swiming pool, and your dining options are pretty limited to only one restaurant/cafe.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank NomadSoul88
Reviewed 11 March 2012

for space, comfort and ambience. Newer and more comfortable design than Four Seasons, Conrad, and Shangri-la, but quite pricey!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple