“Jaded traveller, LOVES this hotel”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Atlanta
“Jaded traveller, LOVES this hotel”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I travel a fair amount and while I appreciate and enjoy a good hotel, finding one that stands out from the crowd is a rare and wonderful treat. The Upper House is such a hotel. The design and details from the entrance to your room are truly one of a kind and manage to be distinctive without overwhelming you.

Often I find some hotel designs to be innovative and creative, but at the same time calling out for attention that make it difficult to relax. Andrew Fu's creation, has mastered the balance of fine detail, innovation and total relaxation (perfect after a busy day in busy Hong Kong). As soon as you enter the lobby, your stress levels melt away and once you are in your room, you are totally re-rejuvenated.

Cafe Grey upstairs serves great food and drink with outstanding views but be sure to reserve a table at either the bar or restaurant in advance as it can get crowded.

A special thanks to Marcel the manager and his staff who run a pitch perfect tight ship, without being stuffy or too intrusive in this one of a kind property. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to hear that you found in “our house” a hotel “which stands out”.

We appreciate your continued patronage and please do let me know if may ever assist with anything personally for your upcoming visits.

The Upper House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I travel a lot, I've been to hundreds of hotels. The Upper House is the best hotel I know. I really have nothing negative to say. The overall environment (design, atmosphere...) is exactly what I like, the rooms are truly amazing but what makes the difference is the quality of the service. It's simply in another league. I must have stayed at least 10 times, they never have once not over-delivered. This is truly an inspiration for what a hotel, at its very best, should feel like. I will never book another place in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: the rooms that end in 08 have the best view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Emmanuel212
Dear Emmanuel

Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We are very much honored to have you return time and time again! We are much flattered also to know about all your praises in regards to our services. We do indeed try to create a special experience for all of our guests; delightful to hear that you appreciate the way we do things.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon again. Let me know if I may ever assist with anything.

New York
Reviewed 26 April 2013

On a recent flight over to Hong Kong I started feeling unwell so was thrilled to check into this beautiful hotel upon arrival. I was escorted to my room by the extraordinarily GM Marcel Thoma and was treated to amazing service the rest of my stay. I came down with a terrible flu on my first day there and was upgraded to a suite with a stunning view of Hong Kong where for the next four days the incredible staff acted like a first class hospital. They did everything possible to make my difficult trip extraordinary. I have been back again and again and know this is Asia’s most extraordinary hotel. The flawless interior, incredible views, and perfect staff make this luxury hotel top notch.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Christopher

Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

All your positive feedback has been shared with the team; very motivating indeed for all of us to receive such praises.

Stay in touch and we are looking forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We've stayed in nice places before, but they all pale in comparison to The Upper House. Even the "standard" rooms are twice the size of any other hotel in Hong Kong, and because we were lucky enough to get upgraded to a suite, we nearly got lost in the bedroom, living room and bath room, they were so huge.

The place has a Zen-like quality to it--everything is very minimalist, and subdued, but luxurious beyond belief. One small example: the towels are big enough to dry off two large bodies!

And the staff? What can we say but 6-star as well. Special kudos to the manager Marcel, whose elegance and wry sense of humor make for a very warm welcome and stay. And everyone on his team is equally obsessed with service (a big shout out to Frankie, Sashi and Abigail for making us feel like royalty). They handle the check-in on an iPad, personally escort you to your room, sit with you and "consult" on anything you want to see in Hong Kong, and even show how to work all the electronics that run the lights, draw the curtains, and pipe in music from an iPod they lend you.

We were visiting as part of a birthday/anniversary celebration, and they even bestowed gifts on us to mark the occasions: a wonderful Upper House tote that looks nicer than most people's luggage, a scented candle and the best chocolate/raspberry cake we'd ever had. Even something as mundane as breakfast is elevated to the best of the best; between the stunning views from the restaurant, and food to match, you start your day in the most buoyant of spirits.

We truly regretted having to leave and return to the real world. If you want a heavenly experience, look no further than The Upper House, where staying 35 or 45 stories up is about as close to heaven as you can get.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bfromlosangeles
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback about your recent stay at “our house”.

I am delighted to know that you had a good time and it was wonderful to personally meet you as well. I did not know my sense of humor could be described as “wry”. Your write up reads indeed wonderfully and I am sure many members of the tripadvisor community really appreciate your detailed write up.

Rest assured I have shared all your feedback with the rest of the team. Very motivating indeed and we try to create unique experiences for all our guests on a daily basis.

Let me know when you need a replacement of the tote bag, I will gladly send you another one.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We absolutely loved the Upper House, and will go back whenever we can.

Not much to add to the other reviewers' comments. Most Hong Kong hotels are relatively small, which is fine if you're travelling on your own for business, but not so great if you're travelling as a couple for pleasure. For the solo business traveller the Upper House only works if you're on a generous expense account, and would be an unnecessary luxury. For the holidaying couple you still need a generous expense account -- but it's well worth it.

The rooms are really big and all have views - we thought it was worth paying the extra for the harbour view although for the first two days the rain and the cloud meant there wasn't one! Service was as it should be: really efficient but unobtrusive - even when we had a few queries on our bill they were dealt with promptly and fairly.

Cafe Grey in the 49th floor serves fabulous food at pretty much the same prices as most other HK hotels, and has great views and a buzzy crowd. The gym is decent, but you don't get the sense that that's where most guests spend their time.

It's one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in, and although it's expensive by HK standards, it isn't in the context of other similar hotels worldwide.

Room Tip: Choose the harbour views if the outlook matters to you.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tones_Camille
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Upper House with the tripadvisor community.

We are delighted to know that you have chosen to stay with us during your recent holidays to Hong Kong.
We are also much honored to know that you perceived the service as “efficient and unobtrusive”.

We hope to welcome you again and please don’t hesitate if I may personally assist you with any future booking at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Beautiful, spacious rooms with great views and an amazing bathtub. From the efficient in-room iPad based check-in procedure and impeccable service, to the wonderful dining experience and super-comfy bed, we thoroughly enjoyed or 2 night stay at The Upper House.

The other reviews say it all, and it's all true. I was at first disappointed to see the Four Seasons slip from #1 position on Tripadvisor as it's an incredible hotel, but it's given way to a formidable opponent and while your hotel is more 'urban boutique', you deserve your ranking and we will surely return.

PS. Consider upgrading your bath amenities just a notch. What you have is good, what belongs in the room should match the minibar / coffee-bar and be great.

Room Tip: Always book a suite. Always, no matter where you stay, always book a suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DEK649
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 May 2013

We are much honored that you perceived you recent experience with us as “superb”. It is wonderful to hear that you also follow the ranking of HK hotels on tripadvisor.com

We do try to offer a slightly different luxury experience than other more traditional five star hotels; I am glad to hear you like the way we do business.

Thanks for your comments in regards to our bathroom amenities. We have used REN since the opening and whilst we have received much positive feedback from guests, we understand that the use of bathroom products is very personal.
Please feel free to send me an email at: marcelthoma@swirehotels.com before your next upcoming visit and we will gladly provide you with a brand of your choice.

Safe travels and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon again.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The Upper House stands head and shoulders above any other urban hotel experience. The sublime attention to detail, even prior to our arrival, is a testament to the character of this place.

The staff are always looking for ways to exceed your already heightened expectations, but in a manner more akin to a guest of the family.

The surroundings are sleek, yet warm and inviting. A number of opportunities are available to slip into an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong, with a quiet sense of serenity that belies its location.

The service is at another level. Staff are always welcoming, smiling and genuinely seem to want to please. Nothing is too difficult - whether organising a table at Felix at the last moment or assisting my partner locate hard to find shopping items.

I fear that this review could extend for pages, but I'll save the experience for when you book! Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Upper House in detail with the tripadvisor community.

We are much honored to receive your positive feedback; thanks for calling your experience at The Upper House “sublime”. I particularly liked reading your second paragraph; it is the essence of what we try to achieve every single day with our team.

How about you come back soon again and continue writing more about your stay?

I enjoyed reading your note and so surely did other like-minded travellers.

Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I may assist with any future travel plans to any of our Swire Hotels.