“A very impressive hotel and experience”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
London
“A very impressive hotel and experience”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed for one night at the Upper House with our 5 year old daughter. Check in was very efficient - done in our room with an ipad by our charming host. We were upgraded on arrival and our suite was AMAZING! Huge bedroom and bathroom with views over the harbour. The room was incredibly sumptuous and my daughter was thrilled with the complimentary snacks (M&M's, biscuits.) The mini bar was also complimentary and full of our favourite beverages.

Our daughter was very much welcomed - the was given a cuddly toy on check in and it came everywhere with us.

We dined in the bar that night as we wanted something low key and quick. She was allowed to sit in their with us and everyone was very friendly. The bar is very cool - brilliant views and populated by HK's 'in' crowd! We didn't feel out of place though and the staff were great. The food was good and the cocktails better. The restaurant looked incredible but alas our jet lag got the better of us.

The wonderful service in this hotel showed itself later than evening when my daughter was taken ill. She was very sick in the room - it was cleaned up quickly and efficiently by staff and her bed made up again as good as new. It smelled fresh and clean afterwards, miraculously! We were extremely grateful.

We loved this hotel - our stay here was faultless. We'd love to return one day.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Noo36
Many thanks for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to know that you and your family had a memorable stay. Thanks for describing your experience as “faultless”.

I like the way you talk about your experience at Café Gray Deluxe in regards to the visiting “in-crowd”. It is important to know for us that all our guests feel equally comfortable.

Please do let me know when you return next to Hong Kong or other Swire Hotels; I shall be happy to assist with anything for your upcoming visit.

The Upper House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel triumphs in every aspect and I cannot praise all the staff more highly.
You never have to ask the question about anything I felt they all had ESP.
I have travelled and stayed in many 5 star hotels and they have never been as attentive and insightful as the staff here.
On arrival you are greeted like a family friend. There is a seamless check in at the room no desk queues and everything is explained carefully.
The rooms are beautiful the design minimalist but environmentally great and the amenities and little extras spot on.The bathroom view is incredible bathing overlooking the harbour very interesting.
This trip was for pleasure and that's how the staff made it.My husband had his birthday at the wonderful restaurant and they were so attentive and made his day very special.
I hesitate to tell all about this hotel ( home) as I want it to be available very time I stay but I cannot be selfish. I am going to UK and will look at the other Swire properties.
I cannot name staff as that would be so difficult they were all incredible from every department of this house
Thank you all for making these days so memorable never change !

Room Tip: Noise level Nil amazing and we were on 4 floor
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to know that you perceived our service as “attentive and insightful”.

It is also pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your time at Café Gray Deluxe. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the team, it is indeed very motivating for all of us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I had heard great things from two good friends and had expect had high expectations of the Upper House - and were they right? Answer is totally!

The welcome I received and the kind attention from GM Marcel Thoma, Duty Manager Paul Stanton and all the staff I had dealings with was outstanding! Design, quality of finish, views across the city and standards of food and housekeeping constantly impressed me. Dinner or drinks in Cafe Grey is a must for anyone visiting Hong Kong (and is obviously a regular haunt of discerning Hong Kong residents) and I enjoyed a delicious dinner there complete with stunning views.

Would I return to the Upper House - absolutely! I fact the Upper House is good enough reason to return to Hong Kong at the earliest opportunity.

With thanks to all who made my stay so memorable!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear Frank

Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

I have shared your wonderful feedback with Paul. We are indeed very lucky to work with such amazing individuals.

It is great to hear that “our house” has become an important reason to return to Hong Kong soonest again.

Please do let me know when you return next; I shall be happy to assist with anything for your upcoming visit.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I cannot say that I think this is the best hotel I have ever been in....but if if isn't the best it is in the top 2. I would have to think real hard to come up with something even remotely disagreeable during the week.

The check in and check out process was quick, easy and efficient. The staff was fantastic and very attentive. I will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We do take the “five stars” and are happy to hear that you had a great time.

Especially delightful to know is the fact that you like our way of service delivery.

Atlanta
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I travel a fair amount and while I appreciate and enjoy a good hotel, finding one that stands out from the crowd is a rare and wonderful treat. The Upper House is such a hotel. The design and details from the entrance to your room are truly one of a kind and manage to be distinctive without overwhelming you.

Often I find some hotel designs to be innovative and creative, but at the same time calling out for attention that make it difficult to relax. Andrew Fu's creation, has mastered the balance of fine detail, innovation and total relaxation (perfect after a busy day in busy Hong Kong). As soon as you enter the lobby, your stress levels melt away and once you are in your room, you are totally re-rejuvenated.

Cafe Grey upstairs serves great food and drink with outstanding views but be sure to reserve a table at either the bar or restaurant in advance as it can get crowded.

A special thanks to Marcel the manager and his staff who run a pitch perfect tight ship, without being stuffy or too intrusive in this one of a kind property. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to hear that you found in “our house” a hotel “which stands out”.

We appreciate your continued patronage and please do let me know if may ever assist with anything personally for your upcoming visits.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I travel a lot, I've been to hundreds of hotels. The Upper House is the best hotel I know. I really have nothing negative to say. The overall environment (design, atmosphere...) is exactly what I like, the rooms are truly amazing but what makes the difference is the quality of the service. It's simply in another league. I must have stayed at least 10 times, they never have once not over-delivered. This is truly an inspiration for what a hotel, at its very best, should feel like. I will never book another place in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: the rooms that end in 08 have the best view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Emmanuel212
Dear Emmanuel

Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

We are very much honored to have you return time and time again! We are much flattered also to know about all your praises in regards to our services. We do indeed try to create a special experience for all of our guests; delightful to hear that you appreciate the way we do things.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon again. Let me know if I may ever assist with anything.

New York
Reviewed 26 April 2013

On a recent flight over to Hong Kong I started feeling unwell so was thrilled to check into this beautiful hotel upon arrival. I was escorted to my room by the extraordinarily GM Marcel Thoma and was treated to amazing service the rest of my stay. I came down with a terrible flu on my first day there and was upgraded to a suite with a stunning view of Hong Kong where for the next four days the incredible staff acted like a first class hospital. They did everything possible to make my difficult trip extraordinary. I have been back again and again and know this is Asia’s most extraordinary hotel. The flawless interior, incredible views, and perfect staff make this luxury hotel top notch.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Christopher

Thank you for your kind note on tripadvisor.com

All your positive feedback has been shared with the team; very motivating indeed for all of us to receive such praises.

Stay in touch and we are looking forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again.