I have stayed at the Upper House in Hong Kong about half a dozen times when I am there for pleasure not work and it has become my favourite hotel in Hong Kong after the Mandarin Oriental.
The best thing about the Upper House has to be the size of the rooms and the bathrooms reflecting the building's previous incarnation as serviced apartments for the JW Marriott. I have stayed in the Studio 70 (entry category room), Studio 80 and Upper Suites - the latter in particular are bigger than many people's apartments in Hong Kong. The rooms are decorated in a Scandinavian style (light wood, minimalist) and the bathrooms come with rainfall showers and a separate bathtub.
The hotel has a Michelin starred restaurant at the top (Café Grey Deluxe) and the food is very good. Make a reservation and snag a window table for a great view over HK harbour. Given how good the food is in the restaurant, I do not know why the room service food is not better. My only gripe about the UH is that the room service food is pretty bad - limited selection and it doesn't taste particularly good.
Would highly recommend this hotel but probably more suited to the leisure rather than business traveller. At least if your business requires you to be in a suit and tie.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Upper House is a highly individualized small luxury hotel designed by Hong Kong architect Andre Fu. The hotel’s 117 rooms (including 21 suites and 2 penthouses) start at 730sq ft – the largest in Hong Kong. They feature wonderfully spacious bathrooms and dressing areas, and offer either scenic harbour or island views. Calming and contemporary, the rooms are designed to provide a sense of relaxation, warmth and understated luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Upper House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upper House Hotel Hong Kong
- The Upper House Hong Kong