“Just average”

Ranked #1 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Anaheim, California
“Just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I am not one to write reviews. In fact, this is the first review that I have ever written on tripadvisor despite the fact that I have been using this website for many years. However, this is the first time that my experience was so vastly different than the experience of other reviewers that I felt that I had to share my experience.

I booked this hotel at the advice of a travel agent and based on the reviews on tripadvisor. I booked the hotel on my own and perhaps if I had asked the travel agent to book for me instead I might have received better service (but a person really should receive the same service regardless!) After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I was very excited to experience the excellent service provided by the staff of the Upper House that so many people have raved about. However, I was quite disappointed. My boyfriend and I arrived at 3 pm to check into our room. We were provided with a wheelchair accessible room without being informed of this at check in. We thought nothing of it initially. However, when we attempted to use the toilet, we came up against some challenges. First of all, due to the layout of the toilet to make the room wheelchair accessible, I was unable to reach the toilet paper. In addition, there is a sink right in front of the toilet in the wheelchair accessible room and my boyfriend was unable to sit on the toilet without his knees hitting the sink. The shower in the room is different as well and splashes a significant amount of water on the floor outside of the shower. I can possibly understand being provided with the wheelchair accessible room if we arrived late at night and all of the other rooms are already taken. However, we checked in at 3 pm. It is hard to believe that there were no other rooms available. And if this truly was the only room left, I feel like it would have been nice to have been informed of this fact at check-in, and to have received an apology for the inconvenience, and to have received an offer to be moved to a new room the next day if possible. Later on the day of arrival, we did speak to the person that checked us in to the hotel to ask if we could be moved to a new room the next day. She stated that she would attempt to accommodate our request. The next morning, the same person was not there so we asked another person if we could move to a new room. It did not seem that any notes were left regarding our request from the previous day. The communication seemed to be very poor. In the end, we were provided with a new room, but it was a hassle as we had to re-pack our things once again. (We were at the end of a 3 week trip and were sick of re-packing). To make things worse, we were informed that we should just call to ask for help moving our bags once we were done re-packing. We did just that, but ended up waiting a long time with no one showing up to help us so we ended up moving our things on our own.

I was also disappointed with the concierge service that we received. On our day of arrival, we asked for restaurant recommendations nearby. The person did not seem to know what to recommend. The place that we ended up going to that she did recommend ended up being closed. So we ended up choosing a random place nearby and were disappointed with the meal.

Regarding Cafe Gray - The majority of the staff at the restaurant were excellent and the breakfast was very good. However, on our last morning there, we arrived for breakfast and were led to our seats and given our menus by a person who appeared to be the manager of the restaurant. After seating us, he seemed to frown and hesitated before giving us our menus. He then asked us if we wanted any coffee or juice. I answered, "2 coffees..." and he turned away from us immediately afterwards before I could even finish my sentence. I had to get his attention to order the orange juice that I wanted in addition to the coffee. Okay, so I just thought to myself, maybe some people are just not very friendly and talkative. However, as we were eating our breakfast, a celebrity was seated next to us. This same manager was sure to stop by his table and had a whole conversation with him! I definitely felt like a second class citizen.

Regarding the location - The location is fine if you have your own car or plan on taking a taxi everywhere. However, the location is not very convenient if you plan on using public transportation. The hotel is located somewhat up a hill. One day, we decided to ride the trolley back to the hotel since I could see from our room window that there was a stop very close to the hotel and the trolley is just fun to ride. After getting off of the trolley, we ended up walking the wrong way and ended up way too high up on the hill. We eventually did our way back, but we ended up having to walk down some stairs in a dark area through some woods...it was not a good experience

Just to end on a good note...on the day of check out, we stored our bags at the hotel for the day since we had an evening flight. When we came back to pick up our bags, I was informed that one of my shopping bags was falling apart. I had not even noticed this. I was offered a tote to put my bag in, and that was a very nice touch. However, it did not make up for the rest of the stay, and I do not plan on staying here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bautong13
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Many thanks for your detailed review of your own perception of your recent stay with us.

I wanted to thank you again for having given me the chance to discuss your experience with us via telephone.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in 2014.

The Upper House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Check into the Upper House and you will feel on top of the world. Excellent location in the Admiralty area; impeccable architecture and appointments; extraordinary service; unparalleled views of Hong Kong Harbor; hip bar and restaurant on top floor, Cafe Gray; the meeting room there with gas fireplace is breathtaking; even the bathrooms are strikingly handsome and imaginative. Savoring breakfast or drinks at Cafe Gray while looking out at one of the great waterways of the world can make anyone feel like a taipan, if only for the moment.

Our room was spacious and airy, the design clean and open, closet space more than ample, bathroom large and luxurious with full bath and separate shower, and its own view of the harbor. The espresso maker made waking up a pleasure, though not as much as the astounding vista that greeted us once we raised the shades (electronically, of course). Hong Kong Harbor never sleeps, and our room gave us ringside seats (at bird's eye level).

For a sleek, sophisticated hotel with a decidedly youthful, with-it vibe, the atmosphere is unusually warm and inviting for guests. Their stated goal is to make the Upper House feel like your home in Hong Kong, and they succeed.

The only complaint we had is the bathroom lighting, which, like every aspect of the hotel, is smart and sophisticated, but perhaps not quite as functional as it could be. The mirror lighting is neon and oblique and hence doesn't provide the kind of direct (and more flattering) illumination my wife favors for applying make-up. This is certainly a quibble in the face of so much to admire, and I wouldn't include it except to: a) please my wife and b) convince the reader of the probity of this review.

Room Tip: Harbor view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear Jeffrey

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive views about your recent stay with us.
We very much appreciate the details and the time you spent writing your review.

We are particularly delighted to know that you felt “at home” in our hotel. Your praises about the service and the atmosphere have been shared with the team.

Do stay in touch and let me know personally if I may assist with any future reservations for you

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Upper House for 6 nights at the end of October. It does truly live up to the hype. I was fortunate enough to have been upgraded to an Upper Suite. The rooms are generously laid out, staff was super friendly and the location was ideal. I am somewhat of a hotel snob yet I couldn't not find one thing I would change. My husband came along on this business trip and he was find with just lounging in the room while I was at meeting in nearby Central. Did I mention the convenience of having Paciifc Place a stones throw away? Definitely will be back very soon.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Many thanks for having taken the time to write a review about your stay in October 2013 at “our house”.

Thank you for all your compliments and it is wonderful to hear that we “lived up to all the hype” you read before.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and please do let me know personally if may assist with any future reservations.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Not much to say here. I wanted to see what all the fuzz is about and booked two nights in a Harbour View 70 room. The layout of the room is perfect, especially the open bathroom blew me away. Service was perfect, fast and friendly. On the downside I would mention the too small gym and the bit to boring breakfast. Anyway will be happy to return.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for having taken the time to write a review about your recent stay at “our house”.

Thank you for all your compliments and it is wonderful to hear that we “lived up to all the fuzz” you read before.

The Upper House

P.S. We do offer supplementary fitness options such as private bikes and YOGA sessions on our own private lawn. In regards to your comments regarding breakfast, we do offer additional alternative menus on request and I happy to send you options prior to your arrival on your next visit.
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at the Upper House for 4 nights in mid Nov after finishing a cruise. I didn't know if it would live up to it's reviews, but it did. From the time our cab pulled up the Upper House was wonderful. Eva checked us in and took us up to our room. Loved all of the windows and the Zen like atmosphere. Then we saw the bathroom! The largest soaker tub I've ever seen with an incredible view. We loved the not so little maxi bar in the room that had complimentary treats. Those cookies and snacks were wonderful and they just kept appearing for us. Loved the breakfast up in Café Gray Deluxe and the amazing views. This was our first visit to Hong Kong and we wanted to see as much as we could, but we loved the Upper House so much that we didn't want to leave it. The hotel is located above Pacific Place Mall. There is a MRT station right there with easy access to get you over to Kowloon is just a couple of minutes. There also is a wonderful Great Food Hall that is on the lowest level in the mall. They had prepared food such as sandwiches and such if you wanted to grab something on the go. So glad that we stayed here!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
We are thrilled to know that you had a great ending to your cruise around Asia. We are furthermore happy to hear that you chose us amongst the myriad choices of luxury hotels and that we did not disappoint.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and please do let me know personally if may assist with any future reservation.

Palo Alto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had another incredible stay in our favorite hotel in the world.

We travelled with our two girls (8 and 11), and while not known as a "family-friendly" hotel, the staff at the Upper House were incredibly accommodating and made the stay great. We stayed in an Upper Suite room, and used the sofas as sofa-beds. The view from all three rooms (living room, bedroom, and bathroom!) was stunning. Watching the sun rise every morning, walking through Hong Kong Park, and enjoying a breakfast with a "life-changing pancake" at Cafe Gray Deluxe were amongst the highlights.

One evening, we returned from our adventures in Hong Kong to find a small gift from the hotel staff in the room - bottles of nail polish for the girls. They'd noticed the girls' painted nails when we arrived, and this was a thoughtful and appropriate gift.

In terms of location, service, facilities and views... this hotel can't be beat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bradley

We are thrilled to know that your stay was “impeccable”.

It is wonderful to know that also your girls enjoyed themselves – you may not have known, at times more than 50% of our guests are actually families / guests on leisure.

You described the “location, service, facilities and views” as “unbeatable” and we are glad to know that this appeals to both business and leisure travellers.

The Upper House

P.S. I love your “nail polish story” – very sweet indeed and the team member who organized this has actually been with us since our opening in 2009.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Had heard wonderful reviews of Upper House. I'm usually a Mandarin Oriental guest. I was keen to stay at this Andre Fu designed hotel. Very impressed with the excellent service from the minute I spoke to the reservation team to book my stay to the door man who hailed me a taxi to the airport express on departure. Well designed, comfortable bed, indulgent bathrooms.

Room service, housekeeping to the guest relations team were all friendly and helpful. I had left a pricey unfinished bottle of whiskey in the room and receive an email within 24 hours following departure asking if they should dispose or hold it for collection. In all my hotel stays over the years, no other hotel has had the courteous to make contact when items have been left behind! I'm impressed! Well done Upper House. I will be back.

Only wished you had a swimming pool.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
There are indeed many options of luxury hotels in Hong Kong to choose from; we are proud to know that we exceeded your expectations after you stayed previously at Mandarin Oriental.

The Upper House

P.S. We do offer pool access options to other hotels within a short distance in Pacific Place. Do let me know if I may organize this for your future visit as well.