“The best, nothing more to say ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Zurich, Switzerland
“The best, nothing more to say ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

While we have been in many great hotels of the world, we never felt so comfortable and at home as in the Upper House. Starting with the very friendly service already before our arrival (asking by email what we need and like), to a warm welcome to the great room. The hotel is perfectly located, easily accessible with public transport and has a great view on the harbor. We had the smallest room, which was perfect. Great bed and sofa, great bathroom with a view. The Maxi Bar with free drinks , cookies etc. is great after a long day strolling through the city. Take the breakfast in the Cafe Gray in the top floor. Great choice and very friendly service. Nothing better than enjoying breakfast with a view over the harbor. The internet is fast, all connections are there and they even provide an adapter for the plugs ... it's the small things and the attention to details that really matter. The manager Marcel is doing a great job!

2 Thank LeDave
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to write in such detail about your recent stay at The Upper House.

We are much honored to read that you call us "the best"; we would like to think that we offer a different alternative to the usual five star environment.

Rest assured I have shared you positive feedback with the team - we appreciate all the kind personal words.

Do contact me in the future for anything I may assist with at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

The Upper House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

My drop to the ocean of positive reviews and impressions: I and my colleagues stayed at the Upper House for two days when we were in Hong Kong on business trip. We were so impressed either with the setting or with the service provided there! All was so well thought over to ensure the guests' comfort and convenience. The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are huge and more than simply comfortable. The hotel personnel was so caring, you could get the service needed wherever you were. Special thanks go to Kylie Lam, who helped us a lot, to Marcel and Roman. Thank you guys, you did an amazing job! I will be definitely staying at the Upper House when I am in Hong Kong again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Your feedback is much appreciated and it surely is very helpful to the rest of the tripadvisor community planning a trip to Hong Kong.

I am particularly delighted that you enjoyed both, atmosphere and service at "our house". Rest assured I have shared your feedback with my colleagues Kylie and Roman both of whom have been with the hotel since opening in fall 2009.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I chose Upper House for a staycation with my boyfriend on our anniversary and I am glad to say this choice was perfect. Due to the difficulty of taking long annual leave due to busy work I like staying at different hotels in HK & Macau for a little getaway. I have stayed in many fine properties and have pretty high expectations for my choices.

We stayed in the harbour view suite which was s-t-u-n-n-i-n-g. Absolutely perfect view over the Victoria harbour and it was an indulging view day or night. Room was extremely spacious, comfortable, well designed (stylishly), luxurious, practical and everywhere shows an attention to detail. The amenities provided in the bathrooms have the most caring products that you don't normally get anywhere else – including lip balm, face masks and eye gel. They even give you an air sealed plastic bag for bringing products onto plane. I love their REN selection of bathing products. Their bathroom was the highlight of the room (to me!) as it was so 'spa' feel and I felt total zen be it during my shower or bath soak. Bed was very comfortable and I had a fantastic night sleep. Bath robes and slippers were also of magnificent quality.

Location of the hotel is spot on being linked to Pacific Place mall and other hotels for several scrumptious meals I had. Also 'GREAT' supermarket is only a couple of minutes walk away.

Breakfast at Cafe Gray Deluxe was also top notch. It was made to order from a wide selection of cold and hot food and prepared fresh which is just the style I like as opposed to buffets (Altira in Macau also does made to order breakfasts). It doesn't waste too much food and definitely felt more fresh. The quality was fantastic and I enjoyed every item ordered including pancakes, waffles, yoghurt...etc.

Staff were always friendly, helpful, professional and knowledgeable. Especially Ms. Eva Chan who was always very responsive, flexible and sincere in helping me making this celebration truly special (even with my 'unusual' request re arranging my booking!). Thank you so much for making my stay truly flawless.

Overall I felt as if I was at the top of the world physically and in terms of service received/experience. I was definitely blown away and would not hesitate to recommending to others nor stay there for special occasions again.

Room Tip: All rooms are fab but definitely opt for the harbour view suite if you want to make your stay truly...
1 Thank kizzcat
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 19 January 2014

I am particularly delighted that you not only enjoyed the very unique physical aspects of our 117 rooms hotel but also our service. Rest assured I have shared your feedback with my colleague Eva who has been with the hotel since opening in fall 2009.

Do contact Eva or myself if we may assist with any future reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

It's difficult to add anything more to the previous glowing reviews of Upper House except to say that, having spent seven wonderful nights there across Christmas and New Year, every word is true.

Upper House provides a level of service that all other hotels should be using as a benchmark. The service we received was flawless from the very first, and very welcome, glass of champagne that was kindly arranged for us on our arrival to the acknowledgement the team gave us as we returned from our daily activities - "welcome home" was such a lovely way to be greeted.

We have just checked out from another 5-star rated hotel in Sydney, Australia that has generally provided very good service but this time around I found myself thinking, after a couple of hiccups "that wouldn't have happened at Upper House"!

Many guests would no doubt rate the generously proportioned rooms, the stunning bathrooms, the maxibar, the views from Cafe Gray and other 'hardware' as the best points of Upper House and, of course, these shouldn't be underestimated by any means. But to me, it was the service - neither obsequious or falsely superficial but warm and genuine - that is the standout.

It would be impossible and unfair to single out any individual team member for praise, all of them contributed to the pleasure of our two separate stay. If you have the means to afford a stay at this property, you won't regret it one bit. But be warned - your expectations of great service will be much higher when you check out and all other hotels will now seem, well, very ordinary.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write this detailed review on trip advisor.com and sharing your experience at "our house" with the rest of the tripadvisor community.

Thanks for calling us "exceptional" as well as for your note in the review describing the service "neither obsequious or falsely superficial but warm and genuine - that is the standout ".

I am looking forward to hopefully meet you in person during your next visit. Do let me know if I may assist with any future reservations at "our house" or any other Swire Hotel.

Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Difficult to be original after so many positive reviews. But the approach of this hotel should be a case study for hotel management schools in the whole world. The trick of this hotel is to offer a genuine personalized service. You have the feeling that the guest relation executives (called guest experience managers) have invited you to their own home and want you to leave HKG with fabulous memories. An immense thank you to Kylie and her colleagues, including GM Marcel who was kind enough to wait for us to greet us and Gray Cafe manager Roman who took care of some friends who were celebrating a birthday so well (all this thanks to the quick initiative of Kylie).
Great rooms we had 2, a large room and an upper suite. Simply fabulous bathrooms which confirm my rule that if a hotel has great bathroom then the rest of the infrastructure will be great as well. We had many local friends visiting they were all amazed by our rooms and the bar at the top of the hotel.
Location is above Pacific Place, the top end shopping mall with lots of great restaurants and shops.
I have one hotel we like above all in BKK now we have another in HKG.

Room Tip: If you can go for the Upper Suite, wow, wow, wow... You will be on a high floor, hotel starts at le...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 18 January 2014

I am particularly delighted to hear that we "exceeded your expectations".

Lovely notes about particular team members, all of which have been part of the team since our opening in 2009. Rest assured I have shared all your positive comments with them.

I am looking forward to hopefully spend some more time with you during your next visit. Do let me know if I may assist with any future reservations at "our house" or any other Swire Hotel.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Great services especially from the Guest Experience department. Rooms are large. Hotel is a quiet tranquil place yet is happening either at the bar in Cafe Grey or the terrace near the entrance. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Many thanks for your kind feedback and for calling us "unique".
We appreciate that you took time to share you feedback on trip advisor.com.

I am particularly delighted to know of your praises about our guest experience department.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We are stay in upper house for our Wedding anniversary. We had a memorable night
and I'm successfully to surprise my wife with romantic decorations. All hotel staffs are nice
and especially thanks to The Guest Experience Manager Edward Tang, he is very helpful and give us a nice decorations.

1 Thank Carson2014
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Many thanks for your kind review and congratulations!
We are delighted you have chosen "our house" to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

Rest assured I have shared your feedback with the team and Edward in particular.

Do let me know if Edward or I may assist with a future reservation, maybe for your next anniversary?