“Once again... brilliant property and staff... a jewel in Hong Kong.”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Southeastern Pennsylvania
“Once again... brilliant property and staff... a jewel in Hong Kong.”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My second stay at Upper House and it continues to perform par excellence. The property was dealing with peak season and days before the Chinese Lunar New Year. They upgraded both of our rooms at no additional charge. They anticipated our needs. Escorted us to places in the immediate vicinity. Darn near perfection.They performed in an outstanding manner... and always with kindness and courtesy. Read my first review on this property for details about the room, etc.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CryingMan
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Many thanks for having taken the extra time to share your SECOND feedback about your stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We appreciate your loyalty very much. Thanks also for highlighting the service delivery and attention to details at "our house". We are indeed very lucky to work with such dedicated hospitality professionals who deliver this kind of service to our guests.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.
Do let me know if I may personally assist you with setting up your future reservations at "our house" or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
new york city
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Upper House has completely redefined our idea of a 5 star hotel. They have easily raised the standard of what a top notch hotel should be. We recently stayed here for a week with my wife, and 2.5 year old daughter on a month long journey throughout Asia. We have traveled the world extensively staying at tons of local and well known 5 star accommodations, and I can easily say nothing compares to the experience we had at The Upper House. Starting with the details in the room itself (my wife and I are both designers and truly appreciate quality in details), everything from the layout to the bathroom amenities has been carefully thought out. The layout of our generously sized room (shocking for Hong Kong) allowed us to have fun as a family, but was also perfect for our daughter to nap or play by herself while my wife and I could still enjoy the room without disturbing her. This was vital for anyone who has traveled with a toddler! There is a ton of seating and lounging space all surrounded by a skyline view of one of the hippest areas of Hong Kong. Everything in the room is so well kept it still looks brand new. The bathroom alone needs to be mentioned for its sheer size, city view, natural bath products, and spa feel. The tub was so big our daughter actually put her goggles on to go swimming. Thoughtful amenities like variety in the free minibar, bottomless jar of snacks, and iPod touch with access to room service and internet makes a tiring day much easier. With all this high quality features, our room felt more like home than a hotel; this is one of the things that makes Upper House special to us. What makes The Upper House stand out the most for us, is their warm, extremely attentive staff. I cannot rave enough about every staff member we encountered while there. They truly make you feel special and really get to know you to help make your stay perfect and custom just for you. They constantly asked if we needed any assistance with anything and went above and beyond for our daughter. I cannot express enough how wonderful they were with her and how special she felt there. They even provided us with a stroller to help get around. One night they called our room to ask if we had dinner reservations and when i just mentioned I was craving duck, the staff within minutes sent up a printed note (because our daughter was sleeping and they didn’t want to call back and wake her) with reservations to a well known duck restaurant requesting they cook a duck the perfect size for the 3 of us.

This is only one small example of the many thoughtful services we received there. The manager and general managers were very present and accessible making sure we had everything we needed. The only thing we would wish for is that there would be more Upper Houses around the world and that we could live there permanently.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We appreciate that you call us "perfect" and are glad to know that your stay was a pleasant one.
Thanks for all your positive mentions about the rooms, the service and the upkeep of our product.

Luxury Hong Kong hotels do indeed all have very high standards; we are proud to hear that you enjoyed our services the most.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2014

That is it, after a very long travel across Asia, my personal award goes to the Upper House in Hong Kong. Everything was perfect. I don't even know were to start. Beautiful rooms, incredible interior design, gorgeous restaurant on the top of the building with a dramatic view. The staff is really what you would dream about. Especially the concierge. Every single details has been well thought about. Can not even find one thing to criticize !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie C
Dear Marie

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

It is lovely to hear that you liked "our house" the best throughout your travels in Asia.

Safe travels and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 27 January 2014

upper house goes the extra step!!
i have a crazy life, changing time zones and many flights
being met with such ease and organisation is such a treat
all my silly requests were met with a smile and i even had andre take me to pick up some cakes for a dinner party
paul and the entrie team more than went out of their way
the food
cafe grey
the gym service and working out with my trainer from la on skype in the room
etc etc
all superb
you cant put a price on this service
you made my life so much nicer
wish i lived there
yall take care
annie

Room Tip: they are all good really, not joiking
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Annmarie S
Dear Annie

We appreciate your continued patronage and thanks for all the kind words.
Paul and Andre are indeed very unique individuals; we are very lucky to be working with them.

I believe your description of our service delivery is very helpful for any future guests at "our house".

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Upper House is, by far, the best urban hotel I have ever enjoyed. My husband and I were in Hong Kong for business at the convention center and our friends who have been in years past recommend the Ritz in Kowloon, the Mandarin Oriental, and the Four Seasons. Nothing against these properties, as I enjoy all of these brands, but I am so thankful my husband found The Upper House on Tripadvisor. Our stay here made my first experience in Hong Kong the perfect mix of business and pleasure.

The service was 5-star all the way, from front desk agents to restaurant and bar servers. Kind, helpful, and thoughtful (they packed breakfast in a to-go bag when we departed at 5am for the airport).

The property is in an excellent location; close to the convention center, the ferry, the underground rail, many malls, restaurants, and a beautiful park with an aviary. I could not have been happier to walk to most locations.

Our room was mind-blowing! We were fortunate to receive an upgrade at check-in and could not have been more impressed buy the size, comfort, view, and simple yet beautiful decor. The bathroom was huge with a massive bathtub situated in front of floor to ceiling windows.

The restaurant and bar offered excellent selections…the bar has an amazing view and serves up some seriously tasty cocktails.

Do yourself a favor and try something new when staying in Hong Kong - book The Upper House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Cmara32

It is lovely to hear that you made your Hong Kong hotel choice based on reviews on tripadvisor.com

We appreciate that you enjoyed our location, facilities and way of service delivery.

Luxury Hong Kong hotels do indeed all have very high standards; we are proud to hear that you enjoyed our product and services the most. Thank you again for having recommended it to other future travellers.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I'm not a frequent five star hotel junkie, but have stayed at most of them over the past few years. I stayed in the Upper Suite for a couple of nights earlier this month. It's relatively new so the facilities are fantastic and modern.
The Upper House's proposition of a serene and (grand) homely escape above it all is unique and perfect for frenetic, buzzing Hong Kong. It's a smaller hotel, allowing staff to provide a unique level of personal service, like all of them knowing your name, they're there when you need them, invisible when you don't.
The location, in Pacific Place is super convenient, minutes from Admiralty MTR which is on both island and mainland train lines.
Now I've experienced it, I understand why other people rave about it here. This is a very special place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thang2166

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our unique facilities. It is also lovely to hear that the team was able to remember your preferences and call you by name.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

It a great hotel
Great view
Good service. Very nice interior.
Good location .. lots of shopping area
Good transportation. . Easy to get taxi and train station is nearby...
But sound insulation on the door could be better.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WKKL

Thanks for calling us "great" on many levels.