“Very spoilt!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Kerikeri
“Very spoilt!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had a lovely one night stay here and were treated exceptionally well. We enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and the fantastic view. We will definitely consider staying longer next time. As we arrived late and tired, we appreciated the personal, friendly and very professional check in and show around the room.

3 Thank JVDKerikeri
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Many thanks for your positive review. We appreciate that you shared your feedback about your recent stay with the tripadvisor.com community.

Great to know that you enjoyed your brief stay and we hope to be able to welcome you soon again to The Upper House. Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any future reservation at "our house" or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Stratford on Avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed here for 1 night en route back to the UK. The staff were friendly and efficient whisking us up to our (upgraded) suite. The check in was done there and they were very helpful in showing us all the little details in the suite. The furnishings are a bit bland but the bathroom was fantastic and the views from the room were quite amazing. Also a supremely comfortable bed. We ate in the restaurant which was buzzing and were lucky to be seated at a table with a great view across the harbour - it's worth requesting a view. Food was good, likewise at breakfast. Having stayed regularly at the Four Seasons, I think that that hotel has some serious competition although there is no outdoor space or pool at the Upper House. The service was really excellent and did not feel as corporate as many other hotels in Hong Kong. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank StratfordonAvonBob

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. We are particularly delighted to read your notes about our service delivery.

The levels of Hong Kong luxury hotels are indeed high and the choice of hotels are myriad. We do believe that we offer a different alternative in regards to design, product and general service to other hotels.

We do have our own lawn space on level 6 where we host YOGA classes, weddings, music gatherings and other unique events. The absence of a pool is compensated with our ability to offer access to other Pacific Place hotel's pool in case guests really request it.

We hope to be able to welcome you soon again to The Upper House. Please do contact me personally if I may assist with any future reservation at "our house" or any other Swire Hotels.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Perhaps my new favorite hotel. I stayed for one week on two separate occasions this past January and both trips were exemplary. Visiting Hong Kong while staying at the Upper House is a different experience to visiting Hong Kong and staying anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank WJR2013
Many thanks for your positive review. We appreciate that you shared your feedback about your recent two stays at "our house" with the tripadvisor.com community.

Thanks for you lovely note about the difference it makes on where to stay when visiting a city.

Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,115 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at The Upper House at the conclusion of our 2 week holiday in Burma/Cambodia (having previously stayed 3 nights in the Strand Suite at the Strand Yangon, 3 nights in the Island Villa at the Aureum Palace Bagan, and 5 nights at Amansara in Siem Reap). Despite a first night air con mishap, the Upper House experience is as divine as all the many reviews here suggest. It truly is remarkable--and reminds us of the level of service and amenities afforded only by Amanresorts and other top hotels around the world.

We had booked a Studio 80 Suite and were impressed with the design and amenities in the suite. The view was disappointing, as we had hoped for more than the peek-a-boo harbor view that we had, but the suite itself was amazing--a spacious, beautifully designed bedroom and a large impressively designed bath equal in size to the bedroom. The air con worked very well and was set on arrival to 17 C by our guest relations staff member. He also offered to help us with dinner reservations (which we'd already made), help with touring the city, etc. He was wonderful.

Unfortunately, the air con turned off for some reason during the middle of our first night, resetting to 21 C and awakening me at 4:00 am. After spending 2 weeks in rural Burma and Cambodia but with great air con, I was very upset and let the hotel know it.

The hotel service then kicked in--and with aplomb. We had been so irritated and dismayed that we considered changing our flight and simply heading home a day early. The hotel assured us that they would upgrade us to an Upper Suite and absolutely acknowledged the air con error--though they couldn't figure out why it had happened. They promised to monitor the air con for our second night so as to assure us that we would not experience the same mistake twice. Between that and the fact that changing our flights would be a nightmare, we decided to stay.

GREAT DECISION! From that moment forward, the hotel bent over backwards to accommodate us and try and rebuild our trust--and they did so in spades. Only Aman properties in our experience have ever shown the same levels of service in recognizing and making up for a mistake.

The Upper Suite upgrade was tremendous. The Upper Suite had the view we had hoped for--a spectacular view of the harbor and Hong Kong skyline. The living room was huge, the bedroom was even more spacious, and the bath was even more spectacular. It was like a high design chic apartment in the city with views to die for. The air con was great from the moment we switched to the Upper Suite.

The hotel comp'd us a drive to Amber at the Landmark Mandarin Oriental hotel for dinner, and comp'd us a drive to the Airport Express station on our departure. They also extended our stay through 9 pm on the day we departed--as our flight wasn't until midnight. Truly a nice overture, even beyond the fact that they already had upgraded us!

My husband had also spoken a few times with their guest relations staff (all of whom were wonderful), mentioning our dog and some likes/dislikes he had with our travels. At various points on our second day, we discovered various gifts that the hotel had left for us: a chew toy for our dog, a room fragrance for us to bring home (the same used in the hotel), a very nice leather bag, etc. It was SO CRAZY how much they were giving us that we finally had to tell them we were MORE than pleased. Yet they continued to try and do whatever they could to make our stay more memorable. UNBELIEVABLE.

We enjoyed some time in the Cafe Gray for breakfast, and the food was wonderful. Here, the service could have been a bit better--as they often forgot to bring little things or to refill coffee--but that was about the only other service snafus other than the air con that we experienced while at the hotel. The bar area is quite impressive, and has tremendous views, as well, and our bar service was impeccable.

On our second full day before departure, we took the ferry over to Kowloon and checked out the other luxury hotels we had considered (something I love to do in a city) including the Peninsula, the Ritz Carlton, the W, and the InterContinental. We already had been to the Four Seasons and Landmark Mandarin for dinners on the Central side. In the end, we found the Ritz and IC to have the best views for the price, and IC to perhaps be the best bang for the buck on the Kowloon side--much to our surprise. We didn't much like the decor at the Ritz, and the IC definitely felt a bit dated. The Peninsula was spectacularly beautiful, with suites having great views, but definitely seemed more for business than pleasure. Overall, the service at all was impressive. The W was the only one that didn't quite measure up, not surprisingly. If you're going to Hong Kong for the view, the Kowloon side is certainly your best bet. But we were surprisingly pleased with our Upper House experience, as we tend to go more for experience (and view) as well as service. And we absolutely loved the high design and intimacy of the Upper House.

We had considered the FS, but decided it was too sterile for our tastes--which was reinforced on eating at Lung King Heen. The Landmark Mandarin was beautiful but we preferred the Upper House.

In the end, we made the right choice by staying at the Upper House. It truly is an amazing boutique hotel that easily competes with the bigger boys in Hong Kong. If we were to return and stay in Central, we'd absolutely choose the Upper House again. Kudos!

5 Thank Bill R
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are proud to read your glowing review; being compared to such amazing hotels as the ones Aman runs is of course always a compliment.
I think your review reads also very nicely for any future traveller to Hong Kong as your comparisons to other luxury fives star hotels in Hong Kong is made very objectively.

I am glad to know that we the team turned the situation with your AC around and thank you again for having chosen to stay with us - given the before mentioned choices of so many other great products in town.

Please do let me know personally in case I may assist you with any of your future bookings at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Upper House for 2 nights recently. We were upgraded to an upper suite upon arrival and the suite was beautiful. It's nothing flashy, but the simple design of the room made you feel comfortable, relaxed and highlighted the amazing harbour view. The location and design of the bathroom and bedroom in particular were amazing. Not many hotels place your bed/bath directly in front of such large corner windows (= an interrupted view of the harbor and skyscrapers).
As in accordance with the other 600+ reviews on this hotel - the service was top notch and quite personalised.
The only thing which was not great was catching a cab at the hotel. Both nights we struggled to get a taxi at night as the area is a bit tucked away (not many taxis rolling up) and you have to compete with people from the surrounding buildings in the complex for a taxi.

Cafe Gray is also definitely worth a visit - even if you aren't staying at The Upper House. The view will blow you away.

1 Thank bcham91

Allow me to briefly comment about your notes on taxis. Hong Kong and Pacific Place in particular is a very busy place. We have 3 of our own house cars in place and are actually adding a fourth car to the inventory in summer 2014 in order to drive our guests to nearby destinations.

singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I spent a couple of nights at The Upper House Hong Kong last December. It was quite fabulous.

Positives
1. Reception - the hotel is kind of small, sort an adjunct to the JW Marriott next door. Rooms start from Level 38 and there are just 6-8 rooms per floor I think. All this makes it personal. The reception desk at ground level has two persons behind a black counter in a small lobby. They greet you, settle the essentials and bring you up. The only other big feature in the lobby is a pair of long escalators that brings you up to a mid-level lobby with a cafe and the elevators to the rooms. My reception-concierge chatted as he escorted me to my room. He seemed genuinely interested in getting to know the guests better. In the room, he explained the features, showed me to the Maxi Bar, how to work the blinds in the massive bathroom and left me to explore. Friendly, polite and genuine service from the start.
2. Room and view - OMG, that's usually the initial reaction to most people I spoke to who've stayed here. It's practically an apartment. Love the large sofa. The bathroom is as huge as hotel rooms in other places. Colours are very Scandinavian, wood panelling with beige and earth tones. Modern and calming. Very clean. I had the view of green hillsides of the Mid-Levels, Pacific Place and a slight peek of the harbour across Wanchai. A room in the other side would have spectacular harbour views!
3. Maxi Bar - Two doors on either side of the desk hide the Maxi Bar - not a minibar where you pay for stuff but a maxi one where almost everything is free! Cookies, chocolate, water, sodas and beer. Yummy. Self-control required.
4. Detail - there's an incredible attention to detail to making a guest feel special and how things are laid out. I was welcomed with a handwritten note from the manager and a dish of dark and milk chocolate with candied orange peel. I gladly partake upon these slowly over the days I was there. I asked for an iron and ironing board and it came with a little bottle of water for steam ironing my shirts. There's a notepad and pen in the loo, for the random bursts of inspiration I guess. There was a yoga mat in the closet too!
5. Bathroom - it's a huge room with a view. The concierge reminded me to activate the blinds when I was going to take a shower. The huge tub would be awesome for a long soak with the complementary bath salts with a view of Pacific Place and the hillsides behind or the TV. The shower was simple to operate - two handles, one for heat and the other for strength. All I need. The open concept though disarming at first will have you stretching and dancing about in no time. There were two sinks and two mirrors on the other side of the bathroom - how thoughtful.
6. Eco-policy - there's a glass block you can use to indicate if you don't need the sheets changed. Nice and obvious.

Negatives (there's always room to improve)
1. The wood laminate flooring squeaked when I walked across the hallway from the bedroom to the loo.
2. The flat screen TV is a little old and not as large as those in the Hyatt or Conrad. No issues with the channels but the display didn't show me what station/channel I was watching. There wasn't a selection guide on screen, just the leaflet menu to refer to. There wasn't a volume level display either.
3. Bedside lighting controls - maybe it's just me but I found them ambiguous. I couldn't tell which button exactly controlled which light fixture. It was weirder when I wanted a night light for sleeping. I think I gave up in the end and slept in darkness. I remember not being able to control the bedside lamps and had to manually turn them on and off. Not too simple with the large bed in the way.
4. Breakfast is ala carte and somewhat pricey. I think we paid HKD$270 for pancakes and coffee. They were good but expensive. Maybe one pays for the view.
5. Remote for bathroom blinds - the remote control worked most of the time. When it didn't I was wondering if it was the batteries or if I pointing it the wrong way.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gurms

We are proud to read your glowing review and delighted to know that you liked both service and our facilities.

Allow me to briefly respond to your suggestions at the end of your review:

1. The wood floors are indeed natural wood and hence prone to temperature/humidity fluctuations.
2. We are upgrading the layout of our TV screens this year with some fabulous new additions. We hope to have this in place by summer 2014.
3. The lighting should be fairly straight forward. My apology if this was not properly explained to you upon arrival.
4. We do have various breakfast set menus on offer ranging from HK$245.- to HK$ 295.- We believe this represents usual breakfast pricing in luxury hotels in Hong Kong.
5. My apologies for the remote controls of the bathroom blinds. They may have needed indeed replacement.

All your feedback is very valuable to us. Please do contact me personally on marcelthoma@swirehotels.com in case you would like to share more directly with me.

I do hope to be able to personally welcome you during your return visit to Hong Kong. Do let me know if I may assist with any future reservations.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Our stay at Upper House was slick from the moment we stepped through the doors. We were very warmly greeted by the team, all baggage and jackets were taken care of and straight away accompanied up to the room. The room is nothing less than brilliant - with all its details form guest amenities to the little gift given to us (room vaporizer - what a great gift!). The views are breathtaking and something not to be missed when travelling to Hong Kong. The wonderful Kate who brought us up to our room was in tune with all the latest happenings in town and could help book the hottest tables during our stay. Café Grey Deluxe is just fantastic. From breakfast (not too be missed!) to drinks and dinner it is one of "the" places to be in Hong Kong. The service was spot on and the food exquisite - hands down best cocktails and bar snacks I had in Hong Kong. See for yourself and you won't be disappointed!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay at "our house".
We are indeed very fortunate to work with such amazing hospitality professionals such as Kate. She has been with us since our hotel's opening in late 2009 and is a true asset to Swire Hotels

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.
Do let me know if I may personally assist you with setting up your future reservations at "our house" or any other Swire Hotels.