“The Nicest Hotel I Have Ever Stayed In”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
San Francisco, California
“The Nicest Hotel I Have Ever Stayed In”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We LOVED the Upper House!
The only problem with our stay was that we only had one night there.
I would have stayed there forever.
The service, to begin with, was outstanding from even before we arrived.
They were quick to respond to emails, extremely helpful regarding transportation options from the airport to the hotel, check in was a dream and the room!
We stayed in the Studio room, which was spacious and gorgeous, the bed was comfortable, the linens soft and the view was spectacular.
The bathroom had a separate tub and shower and each was more glorious than the next. The floor to ceiling windows are angled exactly for perfect privacy, even with the blinds up.
The location is perfect, we walked to the crazy high end mall, restaurants, the botanical garden and the peak tram within minutes.
The included breakfast was outstanding.
The complimentary toilet tree kit was the caliber of a first class Emirates flight, and we took it with us, along with some of the complimentary snacks tastefully arranged in little jars in the closet.
Complimentary espresso and teas and beverages rounded out the perfect room.
We would go again just to stay at the Upper House.
I wish more hotels were held to this level of service and luxury for a more than a bargain price.
If you are going to Hong Kong, do not miss this hotel!!!

Room Tip: The Studio room is absolutely perfectly sized for a couple. Spend more to spurge, but you simply c...
2 Thank Susie S
Dear Susie

We appreciate all your praises about your service. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with them.
Lovely to hear that you took the toiletry bag with you – this is the very reason why we placed them in our bathrooms. Many of our guests ask for some refill of the REN products; do let me know if I may send you some should you run out.

Do stay in touch and let me know if I may assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

After reading many a good review for the Upper House HKG, my wife and I decided to use it as our last hotel prior to departing Hong Kong. As such, we only had the pleasure of staying just one night.

The hotel is situated in a fairly central location, with the Admiralty MTR station just a short stroll away. Once you are hooked into the superb public transport system in Hong Kong, you can essentially get anywhere. So on that point, this hotel gets top marks in my book. Despite being near the CBD area for the Island, it really feels nicely isolated from the hustle and bustle of the world below.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by the staff in the lobby, and then shown to our room by a guest experience member, where the remainder of the check-in occurred. We were thankfully upgraded to a harbour facing suite, without even havking to ask. If you understand interpersonal relationships, you will realise that the (subtle) probing commences immediately. Small talk gives the fantastically trained staff the opportunity to figure out the sort of things you enjoy, which allows them to cater your visit to your liking - all without having to explicitly ask for it.
The staff member ascertained it was our third wedding anniversary, and wished us a happy anniversary. We found some common interest in music. The staff member then dutifully explained what was in the room and how things worked. Relatively similar to my stay in the Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver, the room controls (lights etc) and hotel services (concierge and room service, housekeeping etc.) are controlled via an iPod touch. Thankfully, here the staff member showed how to use the system. We got some great tips on sightseeing options.

My wife was asked if she would like a welcoming drink, and she requested tea. We then toured the hotel facilities. The gym was unstaffed, but it is all self-sufficient, and the view was lovely. The equipment was more than adequate in terms of cardio machines and weights. As the hotel is boutique sized, I think the size of the gym is about spot on. That being said, I didn't end up using the facilities. The garden on level 7 was absolutely gorgeous, and it feels like a rare piece of tranquility in a Hong Kong that is usually characterised as busy and stressful. Even if you don't intend on using the garden, I would still suggest you go and visit it just once.

Wifi was complimentary, and freely available throughout the hotel. The connection is stable, but a little lacking in speed. We then toured the absolutely gorgeous sky lounge, located on the top floor, opposite the restaurant. The lounge is stunning, and is probably one of the most tastefully appointed rooms I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. The general feeling I got was that the hotel enjoys acting like a sort of home away from home for guests, as opposed to the artificial environments created at so many other hotels. While lacking a dedicated business centre for guests, the capable staff in the lounge can deal with your work requests. Our flight check-ins were done for us.

On to the room - more small apartment than room, the size is just gargantuan. This was a large room by any stretch of the imagination, and especially for Hong Kong. The decor is very well presented, and everything in the room is well-designed. Smooth curves, good angles, the room itself is very aesthetically pleasing, and provides a sense of calm. The bedroom window provides a jaw-dropping view of the harbour and surrounding buildings (although apologies for not remembering our level or room #). The bed was large and extremely comfortable. The oversized couch by the window was a nice touch. The study facilities were functional, if not a tiny bit cramped, but I imagine most would prefer to work at the main desk in the first room.

The bathroom was immaculate, and is probably the best hotel bathroom in the world. Large facilities, great amenities (we were even gifted a gorgeous Upper House branded travel makeup kit), and a general sense of opulence were the order of the day. My wife enjoys taking baths, and she tells me it was one of the best bathtubs she has ever used. The bathroom itself enjoys a view out to the harbour, and you would be best advised to shut your curtains when using the facilities (the staff reminded us of this). There is a tv available for you to watch in the wall while you're using the tub, and to my surprise, you can control the temperature in the bathroom area separately to the bedroom area.

My wife's tea never arrived, but we were provided warm milk and biscuits, and a wonderful hand-written card from the team. I thought it was a bit odd to offer something, but provide something else. Regardless, it was a welcome gesture. I should also mention the maxi bar was a novel inclusion, and we certainly indulged in soft drinks, as well as M&Ms and Mentos. That being said, I'm a tad disappointed with the lack of options available from a snack perspective. The maxi bar also does not get replenished during the evening turndown service, so ration those treats! While the boutique nature of the hotel could prove alienating (I saw a total of 2 other guests in the hotel common areas during our entire stay), the friendliness of the staff certainly overcomes this. As I was waiting for a lift, a member of staff whom I had not seen before greeted me by name, and wished me a happy anniversary. He enquired as to our evening plans, and then casually went about his business. A few hours later, a fabulous selection of fresh orchids were delivered to the room, as well as an impressive display vase to house them in. This impressed my wife to end, and completely surprised me. This level of service is what the hotel is renowned for.

As there is no formal check-in area, and the only other lobby is near the entrance of the building, I didn't see that many staff about, which was slightly strange to me. I understand that I'm probably in the minority here, but I like engaging staff in banter whenever I see them out and about in hotels. Though I'm sure the majority of other guests would prefer minimal contact, while ensuring all the best service is occurring behind the scenes.

We made reservations at Cafe Grey Deluxe, which is situated on the top floor. This decision turned out to be a big mistake. I should firstly commend the staff for accomodating my wife's dietary requirements at little notice. We were promptly seated at a window table, and opted to try the winter tasting menu. In all my years of hotel and other dining, I have never been subject to such a poor meal. I have eaten at a large variety of places in my life: from food at street stalls, to food at Michelin-starred restaurants, and I can honestly say I have never paid so much for a meal that was so disagreeable. The restaurant tries to pass itself of as fine dining for hipsters, but the primary problem is that all the dishes are so far removed from the items they should taste like, the entire experience becomes unpleasant. To me, good food is about expressing authentic flavours, and every single dish (4 courses worth!) just presented horrible flavours. Fish that did not taste like fish, beef that was okay but ruined by a hideous vegetable concoction of some sort, to the most outrageous of all, a dessert omlette type abomination. On paper, the menu sounded delicious, but in reality, every single item was sheer torture to our palettes. After the meal, we were offered complimentary chocolates from the kitchen. This too turned out to be a terrible error - after tasting it, we quickly identified it was low grade cooking chocolate that was probably in excess in their inventory. We didn't take up their request to pack it up - when Westerners are turning down chocolate, you know something awful has happened. The dining was pretentious, and all the delicious sounding flavours did not eventuate on the plate. To me, it signifies all that's wrong with modern fine dining - bastardised flavours at inflated prices. I could have held back in this review, but it's this sort of dining experience which sours people from wanting to try this sort of modern international cuisine in Asia, where you're surrounded by great restaurants with better reputations, for a better price.

I could have laughed off the experience if the service was good, but we both found it to be extremely lacking. It was slow, quite unfriendly, if not a little terse, instructions were misunderstood (my wife asked for normal water - we were provided warm water) - if the waitstaff did not understand our heavy Australian accents, this should have been clarified. The most insidious thing to me was that around us, we noticed that certain people (corporate hotshot, middle aged looking westerners) held a monopoly over the restaurant's attention. Waiters were quick to attend to their needs, or to generally check up on them. One couple even had their meal comped for them. I think that sort of behaviour is not on, and it's quite distasteful for other diners to have to witness when they are not being given the same level of service. We weren't the only ones who saw this, I can assure you. We were not asked how the meal was, and we returned to the room. Needless to say, my wife was extremely upset at what had transpired.

During the evening turndown service, our room had been beautifully decorated in rose petals, as well as fake candlelights. It would have been quite wonderful, if our evening hadn't been destroyed by the events at dinner. However, we did notice that during turndown, the trash had been collected from the various bins in the room, but they were put into a large bin bag which was unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the luggage area of the room. Just right in the middle of the floor. I've never had that experience in any hotel before, and it was very odd to see in a hotel of this calibre.

Sleep was comfortable and quiet, and we returned to the restaurant for breakfast. There is no buffet option for this hotel, but the a la carte option was good. I had pancakes of some sort that were satisfactory, if not a little unspectacular. My wife chose some other items and was happy that at least breakfast went well, compared to the night before.

Checkout was simple, but a little quick and unfriendly. I would typically be asked how my stay was, but none of that happened, and I would have liked the chance to complain about our less than stellar experience at dinner. We were just wished a farewell, and that was it.

This could have been a 5 star review, but I tend to rate hotels based on the overall experience, not just the accomodation. As I'm including the restaurant here, a star is lost. If the hotel service wasn't so spectacular, it could have even dropped to three stars. If you are staying here, I would highly recommend you dine somewhere else. However, the hotel stay is truly one of a kind, and I can see why it's rated as one of the best hotels in the entire world. Do yourself a favour and see what all the fuss is about, dining aside, you won't be disappointed, and you may even be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Try to get a harbour facing room, the views are worth it.
3 Thank aandsaustralia
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stat at “our house” on tripadvisor.com. It is a very detailed review indeed which is surely very helpful to all future travellers to Hong Kong researching luxury five star hotels.
We are indeed very pleased to know that you have chosen to stay and celebrate your third wedding anniversary at The Upper House based on previous reviews.

Thank you also for having taken the time to discuss your less favorable comments about your dining experience at Café Gray Deluxe. Whilst we established that perceptions about food /menu items are very subjective, I would like to apologize for the non-satisfactory service levels during your meal.

As per our recent conversation, we do look forward to welcome you back soonest again. You may always reach me on my email at marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had the pleasure to spend seven nights at The Upper House in Hong Kong as part of our honeymoon trip (Singapore to Hong Kong and finally Phuket). The team of The Upper House including the staff of the hotel’s outstanding restaurant, Cafe Gray Deluxe, made our stay there the best hotel experience ever (not only during our honeymoon trip).

The people working at the Upper House deliver what one cannot buy: Genuine hospitality and friendliness. You never get the impression that the people working day and night to make your stay as comfortable as possible do so because you pay for the service. Obviously there is a great deal of organization behind all of the service provided but you will never notice any of the efforts going on nor will you ever have the impression that there is any intrusion into your privacy. To the contrary we had the impression as if being surrounded by good and invisible spirits working relentlessly to make every wish (even the ones you are unaware of!) come true.

We obviously have also noticed the above 5 star standard of all the hotel amenities. Guests are surrounded by top design. The rooms are extremely spacious and the views from the rooms onto the harbour are simply fantastic. Whereas one usually is disappointed when comparing pictures or promotional videos with the reality of the hotel here the opposite is true. You will get just the absolute best of everything.

However, let’s return to the essence of our fantastic stay at The Upper House in Hong Kong: Personal service. What is personal service? You will have to reshape your definition once having stayed at The Upper House in Hong Kong. The level of attention we received from the hotel team was simply incomparable to anything we have ever experienced. Everybody knew our name and was informed about what we just did or were planning to do. It was simply amazing noticing that we really were at the center of attention and that everybody was going the extra mile to make us feel very special. Here are two examples (I could honestly add a dozen or more):

We mentioned that our next stop on our honeymoon trip will be Phuket. The next day we found a small but very comprehensive pocket guide for Phuket in our room when returning from our daytrip in the city.

We were enjoying refreshments and drinks at the Sky Lounge. My wife was reading one of the books at display in the library there. The book was about special cakes and pastry. This was noticed by one of the good souls and next night when returning from dinner – guess what – we found the book as present in our room.

There are countless many other occasions in which the team of the hotel helped us or offered us additional services (and may we add at no charge!) that made our stay just perfect. It is just impossible to write them all down. Reading the other reviews on Tripadvisor reconfirms our impression that this was not only due to the special occasion we celebrated with our stay at The Upper House but simply is part of The Upper House concept: Delivering the best hotel experience one can think of.

We would like to thank the following people that we met at The Upper House and who’s names we are able to recall at this very moment (after a long flight back home): Kristina, Kale, Antoine, Vinchi, Kate, Tony, Sashi and Marcel the hotel manager. We are definitely looking forward to returning to Hong Kong and The Upper House and whish you all just the best for your personal future. We hope that this little review adding to the hundreds of already existing 5 star reviews on Tripadvisor will continue to promote and foster the reputation of The Upper House as the best hotel in the world. We are truly thankful for everything you did for us.

3 Thank Reisender Z
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your detailed feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We truly appreciate that you wrote in such details about your recent stay with us.
Thank you also for having chosen our hotel to celebrate your special occasion and we hope the continuation of your honeymoon trip was a delightful one.

We are much honored to read all your astounding feedback in regards to the personal service the team tries to deliver to all our guests. Rest assured the comments have been shared with the individuals mentioned; most of which actually worked at “our house” since the opening in fall 2009.

Do stay in touch and we hope to be able to welcome you soon again to The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong
Seattle, USA (Home), Taipei, TW (Work)
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We booked our stay at The Upper House and then Tripadvisor came out with their top rated hotels and we were excited to see that The Upper House was so highly regarded (2nd best in the world). We were picked up in the hotel's Lexus (w/ in-car wifi), taken straight to our room, bypassing any check-in desk, and found a hand written welcome card on the bed with a special welcome gift. This is the kind of service we would run into throughout our stay. In short, it was a superb stay.

We've stayed in a few good, and a couple great hotels in Hong Kong (Ritz Carlton (old location) and the Conrad) and this stay was by far our favorite. The enormous bathroom was as large as some of the rooms we’ve stay in in the past. The ‘maxi-bar’ was a nice treat. The lowest room in the hotel is on the 38th floor so the views from these rooms are fantastic. Size of the room...HUGE, the smallest room is 750sqft.

After being checked-in and shown around the room we headed up to the bar/restaurant on the 49th floor for some light appetizers and drinks. Once again the view was unbeatable.

This little story may sum up our stay best:

Friday evening when we checked into The Upper House HKG I had a camera around my neck in typical camera-nerd fashion. Tommy, the staff member assigned to our stay, welcomed us and checked us in. Saturday evening when we returned from dinner he showed up at our room with a beautiful book of photography from around Hong Kong. He said that he noticed the camera around my neck and went out to purchase a book of places to photograph around the city. The books he found were only in Chinese so he bought this one instead (a great choice by the way).

I think this one story of exceptional attention to detail and service is the best way to describe our entire stay.

I couldn't recommend this hotel enough, not just for this very thoughtful gift, but for the attention to detail everywhere you look. To say we are excited to return would be an understatement.

Room Tip: Head down to Star street (3 minutes walk) and explore some of the boutiques and grab some delicious...
1 Thank Steven C
Dear Steven

We are indeed humbly proud about the recent tripadvisor.com 2nd worldwide ranking award.

Thank you very much for all your kind words about the service at The Upper House as well as the detailed description of your encounter with Tommy. I think the story even made it onto our facebook page.

We hope you stay in touch with us. Let me know if I may assist with any future reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Paris, France
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This hotel is special, nicely decorated, modern, and calm.
I love the business center with the fireplace and the view on HK.
In a bustling place like Hong Kong, you want some place to rest.
The only thing I regret is the lighting in the room. It's simply too dark.
Room service is not fast enough, had to call multiple times to get serviced.
This is why I am giving a Very Good, not Excellent score.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We appreciate your positive comments in regards to the décor and service levels at “our house”.

I am very much interested to learn more about your comments in regards to the lighting in the rooms and your room service orders. You may reach me on marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in January in a harbor Studio. Tranquil understated lobby with young friendly check in staff. The room is well appointed with clean modern lines and excellent views. The bathroom and dressing areas are stunning -most spacious bathroom we have seen in a hotel room and IMMACULATE. Although selection of free snacks and stocked fridge were not overwhelmingly varied, it was a nice touch. Ate at the Grey Duck for dinner-excellent food and spectacular views of Hong Kong Island. There is also a beautiful spacious lounge on the top floor of the hotel with fire places where you can have drinks or desserts or entertain guests. We had the whole room to ourselves. There was nothing to fault about our experience there-except that it was too short. Very conveniently located to public transportation and central Hong Kong Island walkable. Hong Kong Park is a few minutes walk away. Bravo to all who work at this beautiful boutique hotel. Highly recommend to all travelers. One tip-taxi drivers did not know the hotel Tell them to go to the JW Mariott which occupies the lower floors of the same building.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Calvin S
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014

We are pleased to know that you feel your stay was too short and that you describe your overall stay as “perfect”. I have shared your review with the teams throughout the hotels as well.

Do stay in touch and let me know if I may assist with any future reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Subtle yet incredible personal service. The employees were extremely attentive and it was an absolute joy for my wife and I to be in this hotel. This was our second stay in this hotel and I cannot imagine going anywhere else. Great people, great location, incredible rooms, and easy access to all modes of transportation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Marc C
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Marc

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent second stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We appreciate your loyalty and all your kind words about the service and various team members at "our house".

Please do let me know personally in case I may assist you with any of your future bookings at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.