“Simply Perfect in Every Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Bayport, New York
“Simply Perfect in Every Way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Fabulous Hotel in every aspect. I knew I would love this hotel from the moment I made the reservation. The staff was so helpful during the weeks leading up to our stay; communicating, suggesting, making reservations etc. It never mattered who we spoke with, the right hand always knew what the left was doing! On arrival we were warmly greeted at the airport and taken to the hotel where we were shown to our room. The rooms are very large suites, so beautiful, clean and full of amenities. The windows and views, just stunning! Love the complimentary 'maxi-bar' and the toiletry kit, another nice touch. The room includes an ipod to use for music as well as information and communicating with room service, free wifi, very large TV, with also a screen in the mirror in the amazing bathroom! Warm milk and cookies for our first night after the long flight were another perfect touch. Marcel Thoma and his team at the Upper House are so professional and friendly. Never before, anywhere, have I experienced quite this level of attention, it's hard to describe, not pretentious in your face attention....subtle yet efficient and knowledgable of your every need. Knowledge they acquired through conversations, then suddenly a book, map, metro cards were in our hands, or waiting in our room like magic. This includes the restaurant staff as well as those in guest experience. They knew what we needed before we even did. One evening we met a staff member in the elevator on our way to go out for dinner, she called a cab for us from the lift, the car was waiting when we reached the entry, and the driver already had the address of the restaurant we had simply mentioned we were going to! Another evening a staff member actually escorted us to a nearby restaurant after we asked directions! The Upper House's Cafe Gray is delicious for breakfast, as well as dinner, and cocktails at the beautiful bar are a must, the views are so gorgeous! The departing gift left in our room, a candle, I am hoping will smell as wonderful as the hotel did every day when we arrived back at our 'house' for our week's stay in Hong Kong!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your detailed positive feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We are thrilled to know that your week at “our house” was a pleasant one. The biggest compliment to hear is the fact that you appreciated the service levels and the anticipation of your needs by the team.

Do stay in touch and do contact me personally if I may assist with any upcoming stay at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My mom was in transit in HK, from Auckland to KL and I thought it would be a nice treat for her to stay at the Upper House over the weekend. She being wheelchair bound, I thought it would be hard for her to move around. Every member of the staff ensured her every need was taken care of - from a room with disabled facilities, to ensuring a bath stool readily available for her at check-in. It also helps that the room (more like a suite!) was spacious enough to allow her to move easily.

We had a very relaxing time lazing around in the room, enjoying a luxurious breakfast each morning and shopping/sightseeing around the vicinity. Some hotels like to tout VIP service and being treated like royalty. At the Upper House, I It felt more like coming home, albeit a very nice home! From the welcome email (even before you check in) asking you whether you have any special needs, to the warm farewell by the Customer Service Manager at the end of your stay, these are the small touches that really stand out. Not to mention the complimentary mini bar and M&Ms!

The Upper House comes with my highest recommendation, and I shall look forward to a future opportunity to book another "staycation".

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scho72en
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We are thrilled to know that your mother had a good stay at “our house”. The biggest compliment for us is to hear that she felt “at home” and not at “a hotel”.

Kellipalmbeach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Upper House far exceeded our expectations in every way. The view from our room, and even bathroom was unparalleled. Exquisite service, great food, lovely helpful people in every way. Just ask a simple question, and there were maps printed, books delivered and every other possible service to assist us. I could have never left the room and been happy. Spectacular views and service at the restaurant as well. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kellipalmbeach
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014

We are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and hope to see you return soon again.

Do stay in touch and do contact me personally if I may assist with any upcoming stay at “our house” or any other Swire Hotel.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

This boutique hotel is one of the very best we have ever stayed at .
Located in a great location in Hong Kong. The rooms were ultra modern and high tech and we had a spectacular view of the harbor. We were on the 48 th. Floor so I would make sure you ask for a high floor to get a great view.
Very good and free internet is all over the hotel.
Cafe Gray with spectacular views on the 49 th floor has a great breakfast and I will review the dinner tonight under a separate review.
The level of service has been unbelievable with the friendly staff eager to please.
I will definitely stay here on my next visit to Hong Kong and would recommend staying here to anyone looking for the best.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014

We are delighted to hear that you liked the décor and service at “our house”.
Thanks also for writing a separate review about our Café Gray Deluxe.
I noticed from your tripadvisor.com profile that you are based in Florida. You may be pleased to hear that Swire Hotels will be opening a hotel property under our EAST brand in the upcoming year.

Do stay in touch and we hope to be able to welcome you soon again to The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

After I read the great reviews for The Upper House, I went there with great expectation and looked forward to having great stays.

The hotel is located in a fairly central location, it takes around 5-minutes from the hotel to Admiralty MTR station, which is great since we could go to any shopping area in 5-20 minutes by MTR; you can essentially get anywhere!

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by the staff in the lobby, and then our room was shown by a guest experience member, which was great. The room is quite big and the overall hardwares in room are brilliant. Love the atmosphere, love the bed, love the sofa, love the bathroom, almost everything!

However, there's one thing, unfortunately, making me feel truly disappointed. In the morning that we were about to leave, there was a problem with its electricity. It literally had blackout in our room. I could not open the curtain by the remoter , and there's no AC in our room..Since there's no one responding to our room service request for ten minutes( there's a button for this request), and the in-room phone was out of battery as well, I desperately went to the toilet and used the phone in it...in such a world-class hotel... After around 30-40 minutes, the issue was finally resolved by an engineer. When checking out, we gently expressed the issue we had. However, we only received a business card of the guest experience manager, who promised us will make us feel better next time, which we barely feel their sincerity. We did not really want anyone to feel embarrassed so we said OK and left. The problem-solving skill and communication skill of the customer service team still have rooms to improve.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Jovy L
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about The Upper House on tripavisor.com

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I would love to be able to discuss your departure experience via phone.
Do let me know when would be best time to contact you.
My email is: marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

I am very much looking forward to hearing from you again.

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

One of the best city hotels in the world ... in every respect: design of public spaces and rooms; service; restaurant; location ... I stay here whenever I travel to Hong Kong, and use it as "my office"

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnToomas
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear John

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stat at “our house” on tripadvisor.com.

We appreciate your loyalty and thank you very much for calling us “one of the best city hotels in the world”.

I love the fact that you describe us as your “office”. It is always lovely to know that our guests feel “at home” and that space even motivates you to work …..

Do stay in touch and let me know if I may assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We have recently returned from five nights at The Upper House In Hong and it was a wonderful experience in every way.
The experience begins with the service throughout the entire hotel from an in room check in right through the hotel and up to the amazing restaurant and bar on the 49th Floor.
Our Harbour View room was spacious and beautifully styled and designed. It is clear all the in room amenities are thoughtfully chosen and of course the view of the harbour was the focus.
The staff here understand guest service and we were made to feel like VIP guests at every occasion. Everything is taken to the next level at this hotel and that is what sets it apart from anywhere else.
Drinks at the bar with the view of the harbour were a nightly occurrence and we were thrilled to enjoy the most delicious food and personal attention from Joey and his team at Cafe Gray. There were so many highlights on our trip, all revolving around the hotel itself or the recommendations of the staff.
It was a pleasure to meet this exceptional team of people and thanks again Ben for treating us so well.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014

We are delighted to know that you felt like “VIP’s” and that the team exceeded your expectations with their recommendations provided to you.
Hong Kong is indeed an exciting city to discover and I am pleased to know that our suggestions made your stay extra special.

Do stay in touch and let Ben or I know if I may assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.