“The best?”

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Boracay
“The best?”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Almost perfection..... what a great place this is! The rooms have surprises in every corner. The espresso machine, the amenities, the jar with M&Ms and biscuits, the shoe trees (never seen a hotel which offers these for use by guests!). Rooms are well sized, and the bathroom is a real pleasure. But for that price this is all expected (except for the shoe trees....)

It is the small things that make the difference. Getting out of a cab without cash on hand, and the reception will front you the money (how often does that happen nowadays?). The delicious scent went passing the lobby heading up to your room. The genuinely friendly staff. The yoga mat in the room. They really get it right in the UPH! Well done.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheSunnies
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your detailed feedback about your stay on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay – not only because of the physical aspects of the hotel but also the service.
I understand you like our “Upper House fragrance”. Do let me know via email at marcelthoma@swirehotels.com on where to ship some additional samples to your home.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Went to the bar/restaurant last evening for a night cap.
A great place to take our visitors who were able to see Hong Kong Hotels at their very best.
Unable to get a seat in main restaurant but were able to sit in" library "next door where we enjoyed a few late drinks in superb surroundings. Drinks are reasonably priced for a top HK hotel, however the young lady who served us needs to improve her manner. It felt like she was doing us a favour to allow her to serve us. She was dour to say the least and spoilt a fine evening.

I would ask that Hotel Management do more to improve staff courtesy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ianseabourne
Thank you for your brief review about your visit to Café Gray Deluxe.
We appreciate that you took the out of town visitors to our hotel and that you call our hotel "iconic".

I am disappointed to learn of your comments about the service in our skylounge.
Do let me know via marcelthoma@swirehotels.com on where to contact you as I would like to receive more detailed feedback.

I am very much looking forward to hearing from you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Seamless quality throughout from being picked up at airport to return and everything in between.
Great personnel.
And I will find fault with reviewer who claimed no reception was a problem.
No, not at all, we went straight to room and charming young man (Edwin) did everything ! Marvellous: surely more points not less.

Room is divine: calm, not over the top chintzy.
It's luxury for grown ups.

The bar is a must. Fantastic food. Great drinks and wonderful service (maybe some perimeter seats a bit low for older people).

Had a minor medical emergency. Personnel responded very promptly. Eternal gratitude.

Breakfast for Europeans is fine. But Chinese breakfast was magnificent. Service good-ish (Mary delightful). Kept forgetting sweetener.
Went for stroll to check out rest of restaurant. Met chef de cuisine (Joey) who showed me round, which I loved. What a really nice guy. Passionate about cooking (but nicely so). Has one of the best restaurants in Hong Kong (but I wanted to try Cantonese during my short stay).

So what did'nt quite work. Well nothing really except poor replacement of all things you need to eat and drink with in room. Had to ask more than once. But that is all and it seems that kicked off a full investigation ! It's a small thing, really.

So this rates as one of the best hotels in the world. No other for me. Loved the intimacy.

Go, stay, you deserve it.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms but ask for bay side. Corner suite is wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hohum

We are happy to read that you describe us as “luxury for grown ups”. No one else did actually before but we believe that we offer a different product than other more traditional luxury hotels in town.

Edwin and Joey are doing indeed a fabulous job; rest assured I will share this review with him and the rest of the team.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I write few reviews, however when one is priviledged enough to be able to stay somewhere as excellent as Upper House I feel they deserve the effort and time to review them positively.
From start to finish the team, including Kylie, were courteous, professional and friendly. The attention to detail is exceptional. Views wonderful, bar awesome and I've run out of fitting expresssions that do just to the food. You simply must try the short rib!
Great place and if ever we're afforded an opportunity to return to Hong Kong we'll be staying at Upper House.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your stay on tripadvisor.com

We are honored to learn that you usually don’t write online reviews and you did so this time as you enjoyed the stay with us.

Kylie is indeed a pleasure to work with and she has been part of the Guest Experience team since our opening in late 2009.

Thanks for your compliments about the short ribs – they are actually one of Chef Gray’s signature dishes.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.

Bayport, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Fabulous Hotel in every aspect. I knew I would love this hotel from the moment I made the reservation. The staff was so helpful during the weeks leading up to our stay; communicating, suggesting, making reservations etc. It never mattered who we spoke with, the right hand always knew what the left was doing! On arrival we were warmly greeted at the airport and taken to the hotel where we were shown to our room. The rooms are very large suites, so beautiful, clean and full of amenities. The windows and views, just stunning! Love the complimentary 'maxi-bar' and the toiletry kit, another nice touch. The room includes an ipod to use for music as well as information and communicating with room service, free wifi, very large TV, with also a screen in the mirror in the amazing bathroom! Warm milk and cookies for our first night after the long flight were another perfect touch. Marcel Thoma and his team at the Upper House are so professional and friendly. Never before, anywhere, have I experienced quite this level of attention, it's hard to describe, not pretentious in your face attention....subtle yet efficient and knowledgable of your every need. Knowledge they acquired through conversations, then suddenly a book, map, metro cards were in our hands, or waiting in our room like magic. This includes the restaurant staff as well as those in guest experience. They knew what we needed before we even did. One evening we met a staff member in the elevator on our way to go out for dinner, she called a cab for us from the lift, the car was waiting when we reached the entry, and the driver already had the address of the restaurant we had simply mentioned we were going to! Another evening a staff member actually escorted us to a nearby restaurant after we asked directions! The Upper House's Cafe Gray is delicious for breakfast, as well as dinner, and cocktails at the beautiful bar are a must, the views are so gorgeous! The departing gift left in our room, a candle, I am hoping will smell as wonderful as the hotel did every day when we arrived back at our 'house' for our week's stay in Hong Kong!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your detailed positive feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We are thrilled to know that your week at “our house” was a pleasant one. The biggest compliment to hear is the fact that you appreciated the service levels and the anticipation of your needs by the team.

Do stay in touch and do contact me personally if I may assist with any upcoming stay at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My mom was in transit in HK, from Auckland to KL and I thought it would be a nice treat for her to stay at the Upper House over the weekend. She being wheelchair bound, I thought it would be hard for her to move around. Every member of the staff ensured her every need was taken care of - from a room with disabled facilities, to ensuring a bath stool readily available for her at check-in. It also helps that the room (more like a suite!) was spacious enough to allow her to move easily.

We had a very relaxing time lazing around in the room, enjoying a luxurious breakfast each morning and shopping/sightseeing around the vicinity. Some hotels like to tout VIP service and being treated like royalty. At the Upper House, I It felt more like coming home, albeit a very nice home! From the welcome email (even before you check in) asking you whether you have any special needs, to the warm farewell by the Customer Service Manager at the end of your stay, these are the small touches that really stand out. Not to mention the complimentary mini bar and M&Ms!

The Upper House comes with my highest recommendation, and I shall look forward to a future opportunity to book another "staycation".

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scho72en
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We are thrilled to know that your mother had a good stay at “our house”. The biggest compliment for us is to hear that she felt “at home” and not at “a hotel”.

Kellipalmbeach
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Upper House far exceeded our expectations in every way. The view from our room, and even bathroom was unparalleled. Exquisite service, great food, lovely helpful people in every way. Just ask a simple question, and there were maps printed, books delivered and every other possible service to assist us. I could have never left the room and been happy. Spectacular views and service at the restaurant as well. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kellipalmbeach
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014

We are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and hope to see you return soon again.

Do stay in touch and do contact me personally if I may assist with any upcoming stay at “our house” or any other Swire Hotel.