“Cafe Grey - The Upper House hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
London, United Kingdom
“Cafe Grey – The Upper House hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Upper house is Hk’s most expensive hotel and as you’d expect the bar there is something to be seen. It has panoramic views of the harbour which are possibly the best on HK island side. The drinks are perfect, each one beautifully presented. If you’re in town and want to spoil yourself this is the place to go, opulent luxury.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent visit to Café Gray Deluxe at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are thrilled to know that you had a good time and recommend Café Gray Deluxe bar to visitors from out of town who are not necessarily staying with us as well.

Do stay in touch and we hope to able to welcome you soon again – either to “our house”, Café Gray Deluxe or our sister hotels and restaurants in Beijing and soon also in Chengdu and Miami.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Enjoyed the luxury of a larger hotel room at commensurate pricing to top Central HK hotels. Service was really excellent with pre-empting of my needs and interests. Staff went out of the way to personalize the experience. An observation worth noting is that if you want the old fashioned oriental experience or atmosphere then you would be better served by others - old Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La etc. The Restaurant had great views commensurate with the best of competitors. Bar was full at times, but again service was excellent. My only slight (very slight) disappointment was the rather limited room service menu choice options, however in saying that food was delivered promptly and orders were never wrong. I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dillon H
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Dillon

Many thanks for devoting some time to share your feedback about your recent experience at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your time with us and you describe us as a “very good modern hotel”. It is great to know that the team exceeded your expectations.

We indeed do provide a different type of experience to visitors to Hong Kong than the more traditional hotels such as the Mandarin Oriental. In regards to your note about the room service menu, I would like to highlight the note on our menu that we offer additional choices on request.

Do stay in touch and do let me personally know if I may assist with any future upcoming reservations either at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The best service I have ever experienced.
The rooms are spacious, beds so comfortable, bathroom.. brilliant..
and the harbour facing rooms have sensational views.
The rooms were so clean and the cleaning staff did a really great job.
The only thing I could mention that was an issue, was the coffee machine - I dont know what coffee it used, but it wasnt great.. However when I mentioned this at the desk, the staff said they would send me a complimentary coffee in the mornings.. That was great..
I think that was the outstanding part of the service, If you had an issue, they would resole it..
They had the ability to make decisions and sort out problems .. Quite rare in service..
The staff also went out of their way to listen to you and respond in a caring way.. I was going to china for a few days and mentioned to one of the staff that I liked dim sum .. I found a dim sum book on my bed, was given a lux shanghai brochure and one of the staff wrote down in Chinese a few of the best dim sum restaurants he knew in Shanghai .. Oh my goodness .. That was so helpful .. I have to say that I did stay for a few days here..
So, an expensive hotel, but worth the expense .. when the staff go out of their way to provide a great experience. A comfortable and memorable stay..
I guess the only other thing .. A pool would be a great addition ..
But .. Thankyou .. your kindness and care.. so appreciated..

Room Tip: The harbour views are stunning, the higher up, the better the view. The mountain view is also great...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your time with us and would describe it as “heavenly”.

We do provide Illy coffee in all the rooms and tastes do certainly vary. I am glad to hear though that the team provided you with alternative choices.

Your comments in regards to other aspects of service have of course also been shared with the team – many thanks for all your kind and complimentary comments.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We spent an amazing night at The Upper House, and were blown away by the service. It surpassed that of every other hotel I have stayed in. It was actually our wedding night, and the staff went out of their way to congratulate us and make us feel welcome, and upgraded us to a large suite without even mentioning it!

The suite was amazing. Large, spacious, and comfortable with fantastic views over the harbour. The bathrooms are just something else - huge, spacious, and with every product and amenity you need.

You can order room service in, but I highly recommend breakfast at Cafe Gray - the menu is really interesting, and the food was excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

We thank you for calling our hotel “wonderful” and we very much appreciate the fact that you chose “our house” to celebrate your very special night at.

We hope to be able to welcome you again next year when you will celebrate your one year anniversary. Do contact me personally so I may make the arrangements for you.

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have been so many times to HK and knew about this hotel for quite sometimes however i never stay with them until last week. I thought every hotel in the city were pretty much about the same with usually a standard service and attention. This Upper House is totally different and i would say that the room and guest service is really excellent and above my expectation. It has a minimalist concept where you could not see many people going around in the lobby. This is a private type of hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. You feel that you are in your private apartment. I went to the restaurant on the 49th floor and the food were also delicious and excellent. I will definitely come back with them. I really sorry for not being able to watch this property earlier.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 29hario
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com

We are thrilled to learn that you discovered us. Hong Kong offers indeed some of the best hotels and we are delighted to know that the type of service provided at “our house” exceeded your expectations and that we “stood out from the crowd”.

We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Tel Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Superb hotel, certainly one of the very best I've stayed in. The rooms are large and very aesthetically furnished without being ostentatious. The beds are comfortable and the Harbour view rooms enjoy spectacular views. The bathrooms really are magnificent - spacious, spotless and just splendid. What a pleasure. The Cafe Grey Deluxe on the top floor is a top quality bar-cum-restaurant. Occupying the top 15 floors of a 50 storey building, The Upper House offers a unique personalised service which is hard to beat. You are met at the ground level entrance, escorted to your room where check-in formalities are quickly completed. The staff literally go out of their way to fulfil any and all requests with charm and remarkable efficiency. Amazing hotel experience which cannot be recommended too highly.

Room Tip: Harbour View rooms are well worth the extra cost, but request written confirmation.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MAEL3010

We are delighted to read that you not only liked the physical aspect of “our house” but also the service aspect of it. It is wonderful to hear that we exceeded your expectations; rest assured I have shared all your comments with the team who engaged with you during your stay.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

If you can afford to stay here, or know somebody who can help you, then stop now, and book it!

Awesome staff. Huge rooms, walk-in closets, rain-forest showers, a MAXI BAR (where everything including beer and coconut water are free), great city views as all rooms are on Floor 38 or above.

You will never regret staying here. But you may end up spending too much time in your room. :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

We very much appreciate you loyalty and appreciate that you keep coming back. Thanks for calling us “the best hotel in Asia” and we thank you also for the other positive comments about the team. We are indeed very privileged to work with such amazing individuals.

We look forward to welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.