“Very good, a few suggestions”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Los Angeles, California
“Very good, a few suggestions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms are exactly as people describe them, very close to being amazing, I would personally recommend the hills side, for a more quite, picturesque view. You get the whole harbor experience at the restaurant anyway. I only have a few suggestions to make the upper experience really impeccable as advertised.
-Starting with the simple fact that there is no make up mirror, to draw an eye line you either have to do acrobatics in the well lit bathroom mirror or more or less blind make up in the toilet table.
-The free stuff, yes, very sweet. But to be honest for that price and a hotel of that magnitude that is quite literally peanuts. I would much rather there were a few good English speaking film channels, or even a reasonable on demand service and if you wanna step up your game, yeah why not offer video games. Right now there is no viable film option for English speakers, a big shame.
-The wifi is , as expected, for free and everywhere. But it constantly disconnects, and takes at least 15 seconds and some fiddling to reconnect, that is what I can accept at a train station public wifi, but not at "home"
- also "at home" I have the possibility to plug in my iPhone next to my bed, as I like most people use it as an alarm. At the upper house I needed to unplug the phone to do so.

The Greys caffee has a grade of its own and it is not so good as the rest.
- 3 days in a row I asked for a filter coffee, I got an Americano, when on the third day I insisted and got the manager, I finally got a filter coffee, it is a very common request in the western world and makes you feel like a real #ick when you have to insist.
- The omelette I had two times was both times runny ( not done in the middle) and tasted really bla- this is also not acceptable for a hotel that size.
- everything else in the restaurant was not exceptional, but of course good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DespinaPS
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

I would love to have the chance to discuss your comments in regards to make up mirror, the “free stuff”, the movies, the wifi service and last but not least Café Gray Deluxe with you in details again.

Let me know via marcelthoma@swirehotels.com when it would be convenient to contact you.

I do very much look forward to hearing from you again.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Belated review, for a 7 day stay in March 2014.

Service: Honestly, impeccable. My sincere congratulations to Marcel Thoma, the hotel's manager, and his team. Always professional, always helpful, with recommendations, suggestions, solutions, always with a smile and a kind word. For example: on the evening of my girlfriend's birthday we wanted to go to a very nice restaurant. They not only suggested and booked (which was not easy to do), but also gave us a free ride there in the hotel limo. And when we got back to the room, there was a cake and candles there. I think this is definitely a podium service experience for me, and I have stayed in many many 5 stars in my life.

Value: It's not cheap, but its comparable with the other 5 star hotels in the city. And there are nice built in perks, like the free snacks in the room, the free non-alcoholic beverages in the fridge and free beer, and free wifi. For me, it was excellent value.

Sleep Quality: Great, king size+ bed, and very quite room. Excellent.

Cleanliness: Spotless, common grounds and room.

Locations: A big plus. Located just above the Admiralty Metro Station, with easy access to the tram and bus lines, and walking distance from Central. We walked just about everywhere we wanted to, and the rest was a cheap taxi ride, or a Metro ride away. A huge plus.

Rooms: We had a Harbor view room on a high floor, and it was amazing. The room is very big, very well appointed, with a separate dressing / closet area, a freestanding bathtub with amazing harbor views and a tv, and a huge walk in shower, with great views. Every conceivable amenity can be found in the room, and if it can't, they'll get it for you. Very stylish decor, very well kept. Lots of free channels on TV. An excellent room, from all angles.

Overall, one of the best Hotels I've ever stayed in. The main asset are the people running it, and I can't wait to go back one day, soon.

Room Tip: Pay the extra cost and get a Harbor View room. The views are breathtaking!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AlbertR
Dear Albert

Many thanks for having taken the time to share you feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We appreciate all your kind words and rest assured, I have celebrated your review with the entire team.
Your review is certainly most helpful to other future travelers who may be less familiar with the many amazing hotels and places Hong Kong has to offer.

We are indeed to work with such a dedicated team; most of whom have been with us since our opening in late 2009.

Do stay in touch and we hope to able to welcome you soon again – either to “our house” or our sister properties in Beijing and soon also in Chengdu.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent 2 nights at this great hotel. Great location, views, staff (exceptionally helpful - real service) restaurant - everything!

The Kowloon view from the room was amazing; bathroom was beautiful.

1 tip - book the restaurant for dinner in advance. Really worth it but gets booked up.

Room Tip: Kowloon view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for calling us “exceptional”; we are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay.

Do stay in touch and we hope to able to welcome you soon again – either to “our house” or our sister properties in Beijing and soon also in Chengdu and Miami.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Upper house is Hk’s most expensive hotel and as you’d expect the bar there is something to be seen. It has panoramic views of the harbour which are possibly the best on HK island side. The drinks are perfect, each one beautifully presented. If you’re in town and want to spoil yourself this is the place to go, opulent luxury.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent visit to Café Gray Deluxe at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are thrilled to know that you had a good time and recommend Café Gray Deluxe bar to visitors from out of town who are not necessarily staying with us as well.

Do stay in touch and we hope to able to welcome you soon again – either to “our house”, Café Gray Deluxe or our sister hotels and restaurants in Beijing and soon also in Chengdu and Miami.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Enjoyed the luxury of a larger hotel room at commensurate pricing to top Central HK hotels. Service was really excellent with pre-empting of my needs and interests. Staff went out of the way to personalize the experience. An observation worth noting is that if you want the old fashioned oriental experience or atmosphere then you would be better served by others - old Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La etc. The Restaurant had great views commensurate with the best of competitors. Bar was full at times, but again service was excellent. My only slight (very slight) disappointment was the rather limited room service menu choice options, however in saying that food was delivered promptly and orders were never wrong. I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dillon H
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Dillon

Many thanks for devoting some time to share your feedback about your recent experience at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your time with us and you describe us as a “very good modern hotel”. It is great to know that the team exceeded your expectations.

We indeed do provide a different type of experience to visitors to Hong Kong than the more traditional hotels such as the Mandarin Oriental. In regards to your note about the room service menu, I would like to highlight the note on our menu that we offer additional choices on request.

Do stay in touch and do let me personally know if I may assist with any future upcoming reservations either at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The best service I have ever experienced.
The rooms are spacious, beds so comfortable, bathroom.. brilliant..
and the harbour facing rooms have sensational views.
The rooms were so clean and the cleaning staff did a really great job.
The only thing I could mention that was an issue, was the coffee machine - I dont know what coffee it used, but it wasnt great.. However when I mentioned this at the desk, the staff said they would send me a complimentary coffee in the mornings.. That was great..
I think that was the outstanding part of the service, If you had an issue, they would resole it..
They had the ability to make decisions and sort out problems .. Quite rare in service..
The staff also went out of their way to listen to you and respond in a caring way.. I was going to china for a few days and mentioned to one of the staff that I liked dim sum .. I found a dim sum book on my bed, was given a lux shanghai brochure and one of the staff wrote down in Chinese a few of the best dim sum restaurants he knew in Shanghai .. Oh my goodness .. That was so helpful .. I have to say that I did stay for a few days here..
So, an expensive hotel, but worth the expense .. when the staff go out of their way to provide a great experience. A comfortable and memorable stay..
I guess the only other thing .. A pool would be a great addition ..
But .. Thankyou .. your kindness and care.. so appreciated..

Room Tip: The harbour views are stunning, the higher up, the better the view. The mountain view is also great...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your time with us and would describe it as “heavenly”.

We do provide Illy coffee in all the rooms and tastes do certainly vary. I am glad to hear though that the team provided you with alternative choices.

Your comments in regards to other aspects of service have of course also been shared with the team – many thanks for all your kind and complimentary comments.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We spent an amazing night at The Upper House, and were blown away by the service. It surpassed that of every other hotel I have stayed in. It was actually our wedding night, and the staff went out of their way to congratulate us and make us feel welcome, and upgraded us to a large suite without even mentioning it!

The suite was amazing. Large, spacious, and comfortable with fantastic views over the harbour. The bathrooms are just something else - huge, spacious, and with every product and amenity you need.

You can order room service in, but I highly recommend breakfast at Cafe Gray - the menu is really interesting, and the food was excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

We thank you for calling our hotel “wonderful” and we very much appreciate the fact that you chose “our house” to celebrate your very special night at.

We hope to be able to welcome you again next year when you will celebrate your one year anniversary. Do contact me personally so I may make the arrangements for you.