“Exceptional service and rooms”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York City, New York
“Exceptional service and rooms”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've been traveling to HK and staying at the UH pretty much since they opened. I would rank their service as being amongst the best. During my most recent stay, not only did they accommodate an early arrival at 6:00am, but I had croissants and a thermos of coffee awaiting me in the room. It truly is a home away from home for me and I always look forward to my stay at the UH.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Rick

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com with like-minded travellers.

Please allow me to express my gratitude again for your loyalty since our opening in fall 2009.

Guests do get spoiled with all the amazing choices of five star hotels in Hong Kong; we are therefore ever more grateful that you keep returning and describe our service levels as “one of the best”.

We also look forward to welcome you back again soon and as always, let the team know if we can assist with anything.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Having lived in Hong Kong for several years and currently visiting on a monthly basis, it has been important for me to mix things up as I repeatedly visit Hong Kong and specifically, Central. Although I had been to the restaurants and cafes multiple times, this was the first time to stay there as a guest for the most part of a week.

I brought myself to the hotel, via airport express and then a short cab ride. No worries, immediately from the car drop-off their suave dressed staff identified me and deftly began a handoff to the understated "check in area" which is really just two counters off to the escalators that get you up to the hotel. I have to say, both male and female everyone working there seems quite well dressed and attractive in their own ways. I was already a bit late for a dinner meeting and mentioned this at check in and I don't think it really mattered because the check in was very efficient and simple. No gratuitous print outs and things to sign, actually I think I just scribbled my name on an ipad for final confirmation.

Up to the room, I received a harbor view room and the room is basically split 50:50 between a very nicely appointed bedroom + boudoir and a bathroom/closet area. Eco conscious materials, very high tech and a soft yet ultra modern feel. Everything of course is automated from the roll screens to the lights, as you may know they have the "maxi bar" concept where basically anything you could possibly eat is free in the room, and then much to drink that is free including coconut water and imported beers. Only wines were for charge. The water they provide in the hotel is that high end British water with the blue labels, forgot the name (both sparkling and still options).

For those who know, the fixtures are Dornbracht and their "drink fridge" is some high-end Winecave.

I was a little disappointed by the gym which is basically the size of one suite room converted into a few pod areas for the run or the treadmill, etc. I guess they are expecting if you are really into jogging you will go outside, since Hong Kong park is right behind the Pacific Place complex. Also there is no "sauna or spa" I believe, but really in Hong Kong it's hit or miss, even when you go to the Four Seasons you get a melange of local "membership" club guests, mainland tourists, and the like so it's probably not a huge loss that you can't share a steamy sauna with a bunch of strangers.

Would I bring my family here? Well, they don't have a pool. Mysteriously the upper house (it is named this because it occupies the top half of a building, 38 - 58 I believe) elevator has a button for "7" which is the pool floor of the JW Marriott (which occupies floors 3-37). But the button doesn't work. Negotiations must have failed.

The last, and coolest thing about this hotel is the post-hotel feedback. The GM sends you an email and of course offers his email address, but for any review, simply says go to Tripadvisor and leave a review! This is not a plug for Tripadvisor as much as a tremendous ballsy approach since many, many hotels especially 5-star chains like Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton offer some arcane email to a bubble-survey and then if they see a poor review or a good review on Tripadvisor some poor GM or Manager decides to write some response in defense.

The Upper House is confident about the product that it is providing. This is intriguing enough that I may stay at the Opposite House in Sanlitun, Beijing on my next stay in Beijing, even though it is across town from where I actually need to be. Considering the horrendous traffic in Beijing, many of you will know this is a really bold statement.

This hotel gets it about the Internet age, and the need to get things "right" the first time, and "every time".

Lastly, I will say I was on a corporate rate, it was much lower than the rack rate. I say this because many of us may know there are hotels out there that will bait and switch for those corporate travelers, with poorer rooms, poorer facilities, and even rooms that have a different set of toiletries (!). I did not experience any difference in quality regardless of my reservation type. I think this is the right thing to do -- revenue maximization should not be the job of the front desk or any customer facing person of any hotel that wants to be successful.

Room Tip: Harbor view is nice but I think any view is fine since the amenities in each room are so good.
1 Thank MillionsRoadWarrior
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 1 July 2014

You wrote indeed a very detailed and very personal review of your stay. Many thanks and it surely is very helpful to any future traveller to Hong Kong.
I like your descriptions about the challenges with spa memberships etc as well as how you describe what our hotel is really about.

We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House. My email address is marcelthoma@swirehotels.com and I would delighted to also assist to set up your future reservation at our sister hotel in Beijing.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had just stayed at some of the best hotels on London and Europe, the service here beat them all. Personal and efficient. The rooms were so well appointed and spacious. Best place I have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew C
Dear Matthew

We appreciate that you call us “outstanding” and compare us to the best hotels in Europe.

We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Excellent Hotel. Beautiful rooms, attentive staff, great restaurant. Sliding doors in suite reveal more and more features. Not mini bar but maxi bar. Tub with amazing view, rainfall showers. Massage in the room. We could not be happier

Room Tip: room with a harbor view...for the evening light show
1 Thank Kayakchair

Thanks for all your positive comments. I particularly like your comments in regards to the continued design surprises as well as the fact that you enjoyed one of our popular in-room massages.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Highly understated attention to every detail. The staff strike the ideal balance between attentiveness and allowing for privacy. From their welcoming demeanour to their perceptive judgement of your needs they always strike the right balance. And the rooms?.... Just book it already.

Room Tip: Although the views in our bay view room were breathtaking, apparently the views of the mountain are...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tim

We are delighted to know that our approach in regards to delivering “measured service” is well received. Thank also for the positive comments about our rooms and general physical aspect of the hotel.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I think the majority of recommendations are well documented and I would hope management are taking notice. First the good. On arrival we received an upgrade. The rooms are breathtaking. Tastefully done, elegant design, modern fit outs, beautiful bathrooms, and enough space for my wife and I to get lost in the room. Service exceptional throughout the hotel - from front desk to room service. The ambience throughout the hotel is calming and tranquil. We do struggle with the 5 star definition though. No swimming pool, only one restaurant, very limited room service menu and a gym big enough for only 2-3 people. Yes the location is adjacent to the Marriott, Shangri-La and Conrad so that could be an excuse. But we genuinely wanted a "veg-out, stay in the hotel" weekend and that's tough to do with such limited facilities. Sadly this means only a very good though we will be back because the good outweighed the lacking.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grumpyandjaded

We appreciate all your positive comments and I have shared them with the team. We do indeed read all our reviews and I tend to respond to most feedback personally.

It seems we all struggle at times with the term “five or in same cases even six or seven star hotel”. I believe your positive descriptions of our service levels at the beginning of your review sums it up: some of today’s travellers’ may look for more in a hotel than just the pure physical aspect of what a five star hotel should be delivering. We tend to believe that our “limited” facilities are the right offering for a hotel of 117 rooms. We do have the largest rooms/bathrooms (starting at 70sqm) in town and do offer complimentary YOGA classes, bikes, nearby natural running trail, direct signing privileges in a dozen of the Pacific Place restaurants, nearby pool access as well as our own offerings of four complimentary limousines which do cater to our guest’s short distance drop off requests.

Cupertino, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is my second stay at The Upper House. Paul (the manager) and his team Kylie and Edward are very helpful and providing extremely warm services. As this is my 2nd visit for two nights, they even referred me to its sister hotel the East Hotel to enjoy different atmosphere, which we really appreciated. Back to The Upper House, the room and the view are superb! For this visit we also found the restaurant at 49F which we missed last time, that is totally a gem! Excellent food, unbeatable view to city and habor, warm atmosphere. My only choice for staying in HK!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TomTAno
Dear Tom

You loyalty is very much appreciated; lovely to hear that you returned and even tried our sister hotel EAST this time as well.

Paul, Kylie and Edward are very passionate about what they do and I am delighted to hear that you all connected. As matter of fact they have been with us since our opening in late 2009 and continue to thrive and try to exceed our guests expectations.