“Stunning!”

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Helsinki, Finland
“Stunning!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The best hotel I've ever been to. Beautiful decor, amazing views, best service, quiet rooms, great sleep, hight quality sheets. Loved it! They even remembered us with a birthday cake in the room. Would go back any time!

Room Tip: Try to get a bay view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susqi
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Suski

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com with like-minded travellers.

We are delighted to know that you had a good stay and everything exceeded your expectations. Thanks for calling us “the best” and we certainly try to provide the best service to our guests on a daily basis.

Thanks again for your very personal feedback. We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 24 June 2014

There's something slightly off-putting about reading all the gushing praise for this hotel. One wonders if it can really be that good, or whether there is simply some kind of tipping point that means everyone just gets over-hyped. So when I booked a special stay to celebrate the 20th anniversary of my marriage, I did wonder - but booked just the same.

And despite the hype, my expectations of the extraordinary were matched and then beaten.

A stay at this hotel really is close to perfection. What sets it apart in an industry so incredibly over-supplied? The phenomenal service culture and attention to detail that the team put into supporting every guest that stays, as if they were, briefly, part of the family.

Let's get the simple stuff out of the way: The hotel is sumptuous and the rooms are beautifully designed, great in function and impeccably cared for. The hotel is a tiny bit "male" in its design taste in my opinion, but that's subjective and it's splitting hairs. I'm desperately hunting for something tiny to criticise, and that's the best I came up with.

The point is that there are quite a few hotels in this bracket that could offer the same. But not one I have ever encountered that came close to the personal service.

Tommy, who was assigned as our host, set out to learn about us from the moment we arrived. And he listened carefully, made friendly chat, and then set about anticipating. He turned up with guide books, was ready with advice on where to go, sorted out special cakes in Cafe Gray and more, more, more. I even returned home to London to find an email from him with a note of thanks and some comments.

An experience like this comes at a high price, of course, but when the experience is this good it is unquestionably great value for money.

Forget the hype. Try it for yourself.

Room Tip: It's worth paying to get a harbour view, in my opinion. Otherwise I doubt there is a bad room in...
1 Thank s0s

Congratulations again for your 20th wedding anniversary and many thanks for having chosen “our house” to celebrate this very special occasion.

I very much like the style of your review, highlight that the “hype” is one thing, but the follow through is another thing. ….
We are of course delighted to know that your stay exceeded your expectations. We are indeed quite lucky to be working with such passionate individuals as Tommy. Rest assured I have shared your glowing review with him and the rest of the team who are doing an amazing job in delighting our guests on a daily basis.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Best hotel experience I have ever had. Faultless.

The room was stunning, the bed the best I have ever slept in. The design and colours of the room are amazing, the light wood panelling and soft greens and greys. The bathroom is amazing, lovely big bath and a fantastic rainforest shower over a marble slab. The views over HKK are just amazing.

We loved the maxi bar (free) and all the nice touches, iPod touch menu, Bose sound system.

The toiletries by REN were a nice touch, as well as the free toiletries kit.

The check in experience is wonderful, and Jacqueline the guest relations assistant was just wonderful.

The Grey Cafe on the top floor offers a wonderfully breakfast, and thriving bar at night. Marlo the bar manager makes great cocktails.

Only downside is I wished we stayed for more than one night. Oh, the gym could have been bigger, sauna/steam would be nice.

If you want to treat yourself then I highly recommend The Upper House.

Also in the area is Lobster Bar, across in the Shangri La, also a great place for a drink.

We will be back.

2 Thank TheDnD
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 23 June 2014

We are delighted to learn that you not only appreciated the physical aspect but also the service levels at “our house”.
Rest assured I have shared your comments with the team and with Jacqueline in particular.

The gym has been designed to serve a hotel with 117 rooms. Do let us know next time you will visit and we will also be happy to sign you up for our complimentary YOGA lessons on our lawn or other fitness orientated programs such as exploratory runs on famous Bowen Road, which is nearby the hotel in the midst of the greenery of Hong Kong Island.

Seoul
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the house last July for summer vacation. At that time I regretted that I chose this hotel only for one night. Usually, I perfer to stay at Mandarin oriental and other hotels in hongkong but the upper house would be my first choice now. My sister and I just fell in love with this hotel and I'm very excited that we're going back here this July for our summer holidays.

We were upgraded to the studio 80 (mountain view) and everything in the room was fantastic.
I highly recommend to try cafe gray for cocktails as well. They have really good cocktails, and if you booked a mountain view room, you can still enjoy their harbour view from cafe gray. The atmosphere is great and in my opinion this place is a must-go bar in Hongkong.

When talking about this hotel, I should mention about the G.E. They are very fast to my request via email, and everyone in this hotel is very professional. They do provied a very detailed service.

If you liked the scent of the room, you can purchase scented candles and room spray and the quality of products are quite good.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are very relaxing as well :)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

We are thrilled to know that you returned again based on your experience last summer. The Guest Experience team is indeed doing a great job in ensuring guests are comfortable and try to exceed expectations on a daily basis. Rest assured I have shared your comments with the team.

I understand you will be back again in July 2014? Do send me an email on marcelthoma@swirehotels.com so I may specifically look out for your future reservation.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We’ve stayed at The Upper House on my birthday and have gotten an amazing experience. Service was absolutely impeccable, room was huge with fabulous view of the city. I would like to thanks all staff for the best service we’ve ever had, especially Paul. He was friendly, helpful and have made a difference for our stay from very first day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel very highly

Dear Maryna

It is great to hear that you have chosen “our house” to celebrate your special occasion. Paul is indeed a star and very passionate about what he does. Rest assured I have shared your lovely comments with him.

We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let Paul or I know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed at! Everything is very modern and clean and the bar at the top is amazing. The rooms itself are huge and well designed. Even the bathroom, is worth going on about that is how nice the rooms are! If you are willing to fork out extra to stay here I would 100% look no further. The beautiful hotel added to my overall experience of Hong Kong. Location is great close to metro and shopping, bars, and getting around HK is very easy. Staff were very helpful and lovely. And the all you can eat mini bar was an added bonus. I've stayed at many 5 star hotels and this would be one of the best in the world! Highly highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shay277

We are thankful for your positive feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a good stay at “our house”.
Your highlight of Café Gray Deluxe and the bar with amazing Hong Kong harbor view is indeed very special.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was here on a 1 day business trip just yesterday. I chose this hotel as I read very good reviews about The Upper House and decided to try it for the first time. I landed in HKG at 530am and I got to the hotel by 730am. They had a room available for us which was very kind of them and promptly showed us to the room. We are in room 3805 (38th floor) in a studio 70 room. The room is huge! The bathroom is just as big as the bedroom and both had the same view of the city, and the view is gorgeous. The rooms are very good. It was very well appointed, it had everything you wanted, from basic shaving kit and combs to hair dryers, safe, a work table, with multiple adapters for your gadgets. It has a ipod touch for you to refer your daily bill of the hotel, to find out information of the property and also to order room service. The room came with some freebies; free M&Ms, free chocolate bars, free bottles of water in the chiller, 4 free bottles of beers (heineken), coffee and tea. There are wines in the chiller as well and they had a white tag hung around the neck of the bottles; those you have to pay and the prices are printed in the tags.

The hotel doesnt have a swimming pool if you are planning to bring your bathing suit along, though the bar on the 49th floor (Cafe Deluxe Grey) is great, we had drinks there and it was fantastic to be able to see HKG at night, very very nice experience. The place is very packed in the evenings hence its wise to make a reservation. Price isnt too steep compared to Singapore, and as usual, the place is very busy, at times orders might be a little slow, but its to be expected for a chic place like that.

Breakfast is on the 49th floor at Cafe Grey Deluxe, the view is stunning. Choices for breakfast are excellent, and they taste good, at times they could be very busy and orders might take a little longer than usual, but its expected as it is a popular place to dine there.

Location of the place is great. From the Airport express, we took the free shuttle bus to JW Marriott hotel and the upper house is right next to it. It was about a 10min bus ride from the airport express station. If you want to take the MTR, its 5 mins walk to the admiralty station, location wise, its unbeatable and very convenient. From the airport, it took us only 50 mins in total to reach our hotel and vice versa.

This property location is great, rooms are stunning, the hotel is pretty and smells great.

Room Tip: Rooms either faced the mountains or the harbour. Both are nice in their own way, its a tie!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank volvoc70m

We are delighted to know that you had a good stay. Rest assured all positive comments have been shared with the team.

Your comments regarding delayed service times in Café Gray Deluxe have been noted. Please feel free to write me an email at marcelthoma@swirehotels.com in case you would like to share more feedback directly with me so we may further improve our services.

Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.