“Everything is Impeccable!”

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Auckland, New Zealand
“Everything is Impeccable!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in a studio 70 with harbour view but was given the opportunity to upgrade to a suite at a discounted rate (without the hardcore upsell). We decided to take the studio 70 option as we were only staying for one night but the size of studio 70 was still beyond expectation and was still quite spacious. The view was fantastic and the decor of the entire hotel is modern, stylish and conventional. The bar is a must visit in the evening. Awesome night view with lovely cocktails - I recommend the earl grey martini if you like earl grey and martins! We cannot fault any aspect of the hotel. The service is exceptional - we even got a personal hand written note and a small gift from the lovely staff member Jacqueline who checked us in and showed us around! What other establishment does that? We had stayed at the Disneyland hotel kingdom club suite prior to Upper House - Disney Hotel needs to get some tips from Upper House! Suitable for all travellers even family. The only problem for families is that there is no pool. The kids would love the complimentary M n Ms and mentos sweets. There are a heap of complimentary items! Very impressed indeed and highly recommend to all.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Frances

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com with like-minded travellers.

We appreciate all your comments and are delighted to hear that you praise the service and the family friendly environment at “our house” so highly. To let you know for any future family visits, we do offer access to two pools in neighboring hotels in Pacific Pacific –Apologies should you not have been made aware of this service during the time you stayed.

We hope to welcome you back soonest again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This would have to be one of our favourite hotels ever! It is like a little piece of heaven in beautiful, bustling Hong Kong! The staff were so accommodating, nothing was too much trouble. The restaurant upstairs was amazing(beautiful view over the islands). The room... This is what really sets this hotel apart. It was so spacious, we had an incredible view over the city and it was visible from all areas of the room! They had thought of everything. The mirror in the bathroom that was also a tv, the remote controlled blinds, walk in dressing area, rain shower... Everything was perfect! The thoughtful gift outside our door before we left, this hotel exceeds all expectations! Great location too, very close to a 3-4 level designer shopping centre(dangerously close!)!We will 100% be staying here when we are back in town.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Jodie

It is so wonderful to hear that we exceeded all your expectations on your stay. Your comments in regards to Café Gray Deluxe, the service throughout the hotel, the location and physical aspect of the hotel are much appreciated and have been shared with the rest of the team.

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our family can stay in the room for several hours just enjoying the view. You can see the mountain, the cloud and the eagles flying above in the sky. The services are wonderful and the privacy is great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

We are delighted to know that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The rooms are fabulous and the service is impeccable. This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The breakfasts are excellent, their baked goods are outstanding and even their own marmalade is the best I have had. I will always stay there when I go to Hong Kong.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 1 July 2014

We are delighted to know that you describe our rooms as “fabulous” and our service as “impeccable”.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Having stayed at The Upper House I am worried that, from now on, no other hotel is really going to impress. I will not write many words to gush about the place, since the other reviews already do a pretty good job of that. The tasteful and 'less is more' kind of decor, the awesome views and generous room proportions, the super comfortable beds and my favorite: the beautiful lighting...all these things are something that one can expect from a top-notch hotel. But where this hotel excels, in my opinion, is 1) the exceptional attention to detail, and 2) the impeccable staff. There are no stray cables, no tatty room service menus, no too-small shampoo bottles, no dust in corners. Everything looks and feels new and of finest quality. Regarding the staff, well...I was expecting much, given the hotel's reputation, but my expectations were topped. And not just our personal host, Nelson, was supremely courteous, friendly and attentive - every staff member made us feel valued.
In summary: The Upper House is special, and worth every cent.

Room Tip: We opted for the Harbour View room, even though we were offered an upgrade to a slightly larger room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words on our team, which we have gladly shared with them

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I've been to Hong Kong several times. There are two ways to go..either Hong Kong Island or the Kowloon side. Kowloon is manic, hustle bustle, 'lady I can make you nice blouse' every 10 feet...but you need to go there to see it. Having spent 7 days there on business..I was ready to move to Hong Kong. Hong Kong overall is more upmarket and less frenetic (still a very big nightlife if you want). Last time I stayed at the Four Seasons...very very very nice. This time I wanted to try something a bit quieter. The Upper House photos and reviews convinced me.

I want to say that I was seriously impressed with this hotel. My initial concerns were over the actual physical plant. I knew it was in some high rise and next to a high end mall but couldn't quite come to grips with the idea of a hotel that started on the 38th floor (somewhere around there lol ) . So this is how it works. There is a normal lobby facing a driveway. It's a small desk but never seems to be crowded. There are always around 4 staff at least in the lobby area all eager to help. Check in was fast and painless. Then we went up a steep escalator to a light filled lounge area that has glass doors to an outdoor patio, this area seems to be available for functions. Then a few steps to the elevators. There are several so there was never a long wait.

Up to the 44th floor and we prepared to view the cheapest room in the whole place. I had decided to save money and face the mountain. Well....I can say that stepping into that room was such a relief. You know that feeling when you have seen all the brochure and web photos and then you see the actual room and go... darn. Not a worry here at the Upper House. The room looks even better than the photos. It is huge...huge. Hong Kong is well known for it's tiny rooms...not the case at the Upper house. And just as I was taking in the nice view of the green peaks, our guest manager opened up the closet and showed us the bar fridge..and the large jars of FREE M&M PEANUTS! Sure the fridge had free drinks, free beer, English fancy water...but the jar had FREE M&M's ! Also free bags of Almonds and mentos. So just as I was about to say, 'best place ever!' , he slid open the panel in the wall...and another huge space opened up with a dressing room/closet/ really large safe (seriously good size so a lap top fits plus its about 6 inches high) ... two sinks .. separate toilet... then up two steps to a large corner window free standing bathtub and large separate stone shower (rain and handheld options..or both at same time) Water temp is set by degrees. If you don't feel like bathing or showering in front of huge windows overlooking the other tall buildings and peaks..push a button and the screens come down for privacy.
The bed is very comfortable, nice sheets etc. Big couch for lounging and looking out the windows.
Décor is very modern, very sophisticated, very high end. Tasteful is the word for the Upper House. Soft palet, stone, techy but not overly complicated. Ipod provided with all the hotel and surrounding information loaded. Easy to use for those who aren't familiar with Ipods.

The inhouse restaurant is excellent. Not stuffy but beautiful food and nice atmosphere. It's a room that works just as well for a sunny breakfast as it does for a romantic dinner. Windows all around with Harbour Views that are stunning. We had breakfast each morning an it was wonderful, had one dinner and it was excellent.

Now the most important part of a hotel, for me, is the staff. No point in having the best room with the best views if the staff is cold, stuffy, condescending ... we've all seen that... absolutely ruins a stay. This hotel has an outstanding, professional, considerate staff. I cannot say enough good things about them. If I could drop a whole mountain of praise .. I would. They were, to a person, friendly, kind, thoughtful, funny, personable.... and imagine my dismay to find that I couldn't find the business cards that were given to me. I had a stack of names and I feel bad that I'm going to leave someone out. But ..
Ilaria ... in the restaurant... wonderful!
Edward Tang who spent 15 minutes chatting to us in the restaurant and is absolutely DELIGHTFUL! Promote that man!
Vinchi Chau - charming and so very very helpful!
And a special mention for a lovely young man who was leaving his internship to return to school in the USA, Hagan ! What a treat that young man is...if you people at the Upper House don't offer him a job ... well you are missing out on a huge asset. He left us a beautiful note on the day he left the hotel , along with a beautiful scented candle. He's a keeper. But then, they all are.
The staff make a hotel and a great staff is a result of great management. So my hat is off to you Marcel Thoma..well done! (by the way I met a charming Dutch(?) pearl dealer, by the name of Cees, who has lived in Bangkok for 35yrs , and he said to be sure to say hello... so... Marcel...Hello from Cees ! And congratulations on a most splendid hotel.

Room Tip: Any room is a brilliant room. The mountain view is nice, the harbour view is wonderful. The restaur...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 5starry

We are delighted that you have chosen to stay at “our house” during this trip to Hong Kong. Kowloon has lots to offer but Hong Kong Island is indeed a whole different world again.

We do like to believe that we do try to offer an alternative to the other splendid five star hotels in town like The Four Seasons; we are happy to know that your stay with us exceeded your expectations.

Thanks for you describing our team as “outstanding, professional, considerate”. We are indeed very lucky to work with such passionate colleagues like Edward and Vinchi who worked with us since the very beginning. Rest assured I have also shared your feedback with Ilaria in Café Gray Deluxe and Hagan who indeed is returning to study in the US. Not sure if the hotel industry is really his thing but he is of course always welcome to come back!
Cees, wow, what a small world; many thanks for leaving me his regards on this review.

Thanks again for your very personal feedback. We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels. My direct email is marcelthoma@swirehotels.com which is the best way to reach to me.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The best hotel I've ever been to. Beautiful decor, amazing views, best service, quiet rooms, great sleep, hight quality sheets. Loved it! They even remembered us with a birthday cake in the room. Would go back any time!

Room Tip: Try to get a bay view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susqi
Dear Suski

We are delighted to know that you had a good stay and everything exceeded your expectations. Thanks for calling us “the best” and we certainly try to provide the best service to our guests on a daily basis.