“Ultra modern hotel - loved it!”
Review of EAST Hong Kong

EAST Hong Kong
Ranked #34 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
San Diego, California
“Ultra modern hotel - loved it!”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The East Hotel was a real surprise and I am so glad that I chose it as part of my trip. JetSetter had a promotion so we took a chance on a hotel that was slightly off the beaten path at the Taikoo station off the blue line. This hotel is literally right off the entrance to the subway so it was super easy to get to. We came from the Airport Express line and changed to the Blue line. The subways are ridiculously cheap, clean, and easy to use so it was not a hassle at all to take it, even with bags.

The East was ridiculously cheap with the JetSetter offer ($88 USD) but this hotel rivals just about any 4* property I've stayed at in the past. Check-in was quick and easy and it was no problem that we showed up well before check-in time (10:30am). The lobby is very chic and beautiful to look at - like a work of art. I was very happy to have my room early! Even the hallways are fun because the rooms are "hidden" without obvious doors. I was also upgraded with a corner room so there were windows everywhere and great views of the pool and local neighborhood.

This is a fantastically modern hotel with an Asian flair. I can't say enough about how cool and hip the room was. There are touches like a jar of candies, an Ipod, automatic shades, a "hidden" TV, excellent lighting, etc. It was a small room but it was so cool you get used to it quickly. There is a lot of efficiency in the room and you have everything you need including a refrigerator, espresso maker, and iron/ironing board. I didn't want to leave the room!

One big warning - room with someone you know and love very intimately as there is very little privacy with the bathroom shower. It's a very cool bathroom but there is not much privacy for those in the bathroom. While I think the design is very cool, it's not something I really liked and would have preferred a more private shower experience. With that said, it was a great bathroom with an excellent rainfall showerhead. At least the toilet was kind of private.

We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Feast) the next morning. It was a buffet style that included one item off the menu. The food was EXCELLENT and probably some of the best I had while in Hong Kong. The restaurant was also fantastic to look at and a place you don't want to leave!

The pool is nice and on the 4th floor or so. The gym looked very cool as well. The changing rooms and bathrooms by the gym/pool area were so neat that they are worth checking out. I guess I'm not used to this kind of hip style in the US so I was continually impressed with my surroundings. Overall, this is a very nice, hip hotel that will definitely appeal to younger people who want something more unique and off the beaten path. I would love to stay at this hotel again if my travels ever bring me back to Hong Kong!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
I'd like to express our most sincere gratitude for the wonderful detailed review of your experience at EAST, Hong Kong. It is especially rewarding to get this feedback from a well traveled guest like yourself. I appreciate you highlighting the many aspects of the hotel that make it stand out - from the efficient and guest-friendly processes, to the amenities inside the room, to the different offerings for our guests - we take great pride in our product and our people. I have shared your words of recognition with the team - thank you!

I look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Hong Kong very soon!

Kind Regards,

EAST, Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A very modern business hotel with a stylish feel and look. This hotel room had a comfortable queen bed and came with all the amenities required for a comfortable business trip. The espresso machine and iPod deck were additional features, which gave it a bit of oomph. I had an executive room with a stunning view of the harbour. Location is good if you have business nearby. It is not in a central location, but there are a few good Korean and Thai restaurants nearby if you are on business, that is.

Only criticism is that the room was a tad small. Also, the food, especially the breakfast was not up to expectations for the cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with the view of the harbour.
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you very much for your review. It is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the hotel comfortable for your business trip. We pride ourselves in creating an ideal home for our business travelers and your review has been shared with the team. I would like to note that we have larger room types in the hotel, and I would be happy to offer one of these rooms to you if availability allows during your next visit. Please contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com so I can arrange accordingly. Until then, we remain at your service for anything you may need.

Kind Regards,

London
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last week as part of our honeymoon on route to Thailand. I booked it online and had numerous confirmations beforehand. Because it was a special occasion I emailed to ask if we could have a room on a high floor to take advantage of the views. The manager replied quickly and said it would be no problem. When we arrived we were told we had been upgraded and were given a harbour view room on the 29th floor. Wow! The room was fabulous and we even had a card and chocolates left in the room and the manager came to check everything was satisfactory as he hadn't got to say hello when we checked in.

The room was bigger than I was expecting and the view is incredible! The room is super modern, the tv is hidden behind a painting, there's an ipod and dock with pre loaded music, a little jar of sweets, the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and a fabulous shower. There is a lovely pool and a good gym and the location is right next to the MTR and only a few stops from central. It is also connected to the mall. Sugar bar on the 32nd floor is brilliant too and is a great place to have a pre dinner drink and take in the views.

All in all, we had an excellent stay here and would return in a heart beat. The staff were so friendly and so good to go the extra mile for our special trip it was very much appreciated. This will definitely be our go to hotel should we return to Hong Kong.

• Stayed September 2013
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review about your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. It is truly motivating to receive such positive feedback, and the entire team is proud and appreciative of your kind words. A honeymoon is a very special time, and we are delighted to have been a part of this unforgettable time for you. Thank you for highlighting all the offerings inside the room and throughout the hotel; it is after all the small details that make a difference.

We look forward to making your next trip to Hong Kong as memorable as your honeymoon trip.

Warm Regards,

Paris, France
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Sleek and stylish, this is a comfortable hotel with all the fashionable amenities you could think about : espresso machine, iPod deck, rain shower, etc. I had a corner executive room with a stunning view over the harbor. Only criticism is that the room was a tad small. Food, either breakfast or diner, I had both, was not up to expectations. The dim sum basket for breakfast and the wonton soup for diner were clearly disappointing. I get better Chinese food in Europe! I didn't try Western food, except for poached eggs which were merely OK. Location is good if you have business nearby. It is not a central location, but getting to other areas is very easing as the MTR station is right in front of the exit and very convenient to get around.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are vey nice, but make sure you don't have vertigo.
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for your positive review! It is always great to get positive feedback from a Top Contributor like yourself. We are delighted to learn that your stay was an enjoyable one and that you found the hotel comfortable and full of great amenities. You're right when you say that the view from our harbour view rooms is stunning! We appreciate your comments regarding the food quality, and we are very sorry if we were unable to meet your expectations in this regard. Your comments have been shared with the team so we can make the necessary improvements. Note that our menus are constantly evolving based on our guest feedback, so your constructive criticism will certainly be taken into consideration. Thank you for helping make a difference!

We look forward to welcoming you back to EAST, Hong Kong in a very near future.

Warm Regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Located right next to the MTR, it's extremely conveniently located. East is also right next to a mall which is convenient if you need to do some shopping.

Rooms are modern and a good size for its price in HK. Toilets are open concept so if you're staying with someone, you can't be shy. However, because of the many knooks, some areas may be dusty, like on the ledge under the desk. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't rest my foot there.

The hotel restaurant Feast is great. Food is good, and a easy relaxing place to chill.

A perfect stay for either a business trip for one or a holiday for two.

• Stayed September 2013
JenniferCheung, General Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time out to write your review.

We are very pleased to learn of your good experience at EAST, Hong Kong. I will share your positive comments with the team as well as to upkeep the cleanliness of the room too.

We look forward to seeing you again. If there is anything we can make your next visits more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jennifercheung@swirehotels.com.

Wishing you a wonderful day.

Best regards

Jennifer Cheung
Mla
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Very sophisticated hotel.. A great hotel to relax after a busy day. The mtr / malls is just besides the hotel with direct access through the second floor of the mall. The bed was soft and comfortable , with a welcome snack on the bed upon arrival. Lcd tv with matching ipod/ dock. A bit far from the major shopping center. Very quiet during night time. In suburb area. Clean and neat. Highly recommended.....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
JenniferCheung, General Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

We are very pleased to learn you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again at EAST, Hong Kong. Should you need any help for your future visits, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jennifercheung@swirehotels.com.

Have a wonderful day!

Best regards

Jennifer Cheung
Sydney
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Upon check-in we had admin issues that were handled poorly and affected most of our stay. The staff were polite but inflexible. We were issued with temporary access to the room, having to constantly check in with reception to update our status. They were uninformative, gave us incorrect details and were not proactive in solving the issue. I found them very difficult to deal with and have never in all my travels come across such unaccommodating service from reception and reservations.

Room slippers were not swapped daily, which in summer is not pleasant. Most of the lights in the room are controlled by one switch. So if you need to use the bathroom during the night, you'd have to turn on ALL the lights. The sink tap is poorly designed and you get a lot of splash back.

On a positive note, the rooms were clean (but small), and we found the lobby staff and house keeping friendly and efficient. The hotel's connection to the MTR and City Plaza was also very convenient, and business wise this is a good location.

Room Tip: Not recommended if you're only looking to stay in the most basic rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank critico c
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to learn that your experience at EAST, Hong Kong did not meet your expectations, as our entire team works diligently to produce an exceptional stay for our guests. I attempted to contact you directly in order to get some further details about the comments mentioned, as they are quite general. Regardless, we have shared the review with our team so we can continue improving our service levels. Feel free to contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com with any details you wish to provide or if you are willing to give us an opportunity to gain your loyalty back. Until then, we remain at your service.

Respectfully,