“Great hotel, little far from the action”
Review of EAST Hong Kong

EAST Hong Kong
Ranked #34 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney
“Great hotel, little far from the action”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here on business and was very near office so very convenient in that regard, but there isn't much to the area and you have to take the mtr about 7 or more stops to be in the action.

Rooms are great, I had an urban view though which meant the view was of all the high rises (peoples homes) around me. There is a bar at the top level which is definitely worth checking out if you're in the area or staying at the hotel.

Breakfast is excellent though not your usual buffet. I like that they cook the main part fresh for you.

Overall only stay in this hotel if you want to stay a little out of the hub but still be central side of hk island.

• Stayed November 2013
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
We appreciate the positive review of your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. It is gratifying to hear you highlight the many aspects of your experience that make EAST the right option for business travelers, particularly if your offices are located nearby. Also, even though we are not located in the middle of Central or Causeway Bay, we are only a few minutes away on the MTR! Thanks for the great feedback about our breakfast offerings at Feast, they have been shared with our culinary team. Please send me an email at davidarraya@swirehotels.com when planning your next trip so we can arrange an upgrade to a harbour view room for you - you will love it!

EAST, Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mumbai
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days in October, 2013 on a business visit. Its a bit removed from the business district but that doesn't matter as much because it's bang on top of the Taikoo Shing MTR station. Connectivity is pretty good. Rooma are spacious and very well kept as any good business hotel. Not much of a personality to the place but it works well. I was staying on the 'city-view' side which translates to 'you will be looking at other buildings out of your window'. So view was a bit depressing but not a deal breaker. Food and service were satisfactory. The wi-fi worked well as did the coffee-maker, so I was all good.
I got this at HKD 1300 and for the price it delivered reasonably well on most counts.

Tip - Bar on the rooftop ('Sugar') offers a great view, even if it is a bit cramped.

Room Tip: Cityview rooms look out onto other buildings but are cheaper. Choose accordingly
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Many thanks for reviewing your recent experience at EAST, Hong Kong. We appreciate the positive comments regarding our offerings and service, and we are proud to be an efficient hotel for our business travelers. However, we also have many offerings to help our guests 'unwind' at the end of a busy day at the office, such as our pool & gym, Feast and Sugar. Please send me a note at davidarraya@swirehotels.com during your next visit so we can have you experience the magnificent view from our harbour view rooms. We thank you again for the feedback, which has been shared with the team, and hope to serve you again very soon.

London, UK
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Everything at East is perfectly designed - the rooms are amazing with a wall of glass looking out to the water and Hong Kong skyline on the other side of it. The bar on the roof is very cool too.

Breakfast is great with a really good selection but as it comes at a flat fee, quite expensive if you don't want to eat much.

The outdoor pool is great, with a really nice view, but could definitely do with being heated as it was freezing when I was there meaning I couldn't swim for as long as I'd have liked to.

Not sure if the location is good for others, but it's right by my office so was good for me. There's an underground station immediately opposite the hotel entrance so getting to other parts of Hong Kong is easy, even if you don't want to get stuck in traffic.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hi Gareth,

Thank you very much for the great review. It's wonderful to learn that you felt that EAST, Hong Kong was perfect for your needs as a business traveler. The location really is unmatched for those who have offices in the Taikoo area, and on top of that we are only steps away from the MTR that can take you anywhere around Hong Kong in a matter of minutes! I see your feedback about the temperature of the pool, and I'm happy to share with you that we have already adjusted the temperature for our winter period. I hope that the next time you're here the weather will allow you to still enjoy going for a swim. We look forward to your next visit and thank you sincerely for your business.

David
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at East Hong Kong on a recent work trip. Although it is located at Tai Koo Shing, I would say its a good location as it is right by the MTR exit and is connected to a large mall. This provides good options for meals and shopping after a long day at work.

The hotel itself is modern, and very much built for the business traveller. I wished though, that there could be a pillow menu to offer a variety of firmness to ensure a good night's rest. The hotel also overlooks a residential building, so there's not much of a view, and for privacy, the blinds have to be down all the time.

The one thing I especially liked about the hotel was the dress-down at front desk, making the service particularly homey and comfortable. The front desk was also very efficient, making use of technology like ipad to speed up check in/out processing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ms. Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit at EAST, Hong Kong. We appreciate your kind words about the simplicity and efficiency yet homey and comfortable feel of our design and service. I have shared your kind words with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future, and ask that you please contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com when planning your next visit so I can ensure you are placed in one of our harbour view rooms so you can enjoy one of the most stunning views of Hong Kong. Until then, I remain at your service for anything else you may need.

Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My first stay with this delicious hotel.

I'm seeing more and more of these eclectic places - it's as though a new breed of hotelier is emerging, one who has thrown out the dark wood and nose in the air graces in favour of edgy and clever design supported by hip and eager to please team members.

The hotel is classy cool, funky in tone, spacious, airy and very welcoming. My room on the 24th floor was entitled an "Urban Corner' perfectly kitted out with an espresso machine, milk (!!), fluffy robe etc. Floor to ceiling windows provided a view of the neighbouring apartments, so incredibly close, which encouraged keeping the blinds drawn ;-( But that's Hong Kong.

Lunch in the Feast restaurant was superb. A great combination of buffet selection plus main. I sat at the bar as the restaurant was full, and was well looked after by the barman. Irish? Very nice young chap, enjoys his work. Later on, I had a sneak peak at the preparation for the dinner buffet and the freshly shucked Australian oysters beckoned ...

I missed out on checking out the rooftop bar - something I shall not fail to do upon my return. Which will be very soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
It is a great pleasure to receive such a positive review from a Top Contributor such as yourself, thank you! We appreciate you highlighting the careful appointment of our rooms and love the words you used to describe us - "classy cool, funky in tone, spacious, airy and very welcoming". We are also grateful of your mention of Feast, and have shared the review with our team. Matthew, our server at the bar, is actually South African, and he truly is great! We look forward to your next visit in the near future, hopefully you can join us for oysters at dinner this time around!

Brussels
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed here for 5 days on a combination of personal and business events. I had a harbour view room, which I heartily recommend -- nothing like the floor to ceiling view (they kindly remind you that 'our windows are 2-way':-) and provide blackout blinds for privacy or jet-lagged sleep. The room is one of the best designed I've seen in years, other hotels should take lessons from it! Pale blond wood, nice uplifting colours and textures (fluffy carpet and towels, leather headboard, wood slat blinds, burnished copper backing in wet room and loo) and fabulously well-designed storage: everything you need (cables, adapter, good strong hair dryer, robe, iron, ironing board, Senseo + kettle, umbrella, seriously useful cloth tote bag, etc, etc, etc) -- all so well tucked away that it looks sleek and provides ample room for your own stuff, whether you're there for a day or a week. Service was unfailingly friendly and helpful -- the only glitches were that they erred on the side of telling me it would take longer to get places than it would (but I was never late for appointments!). It's about 30 feet from the MTR entrance and the Taikoo Shing mall, which has everything you need in case what's in the room and what you brought still leave you missing something. Hot tip for British expats: there's an M&S in the mall so if you crave your favourite bikkies with your tea -- there you go! Prices in minibar are reasonable, as are room prices if you shop around online. Breakfast overpriced (about 20 USD) but lovely. There is a very particular HK joy in swimming in a pool surrounded by 20+ storey skyscrapers - reminiscent of the old Hilton -- and everything is scrupulously clean. They did a beautiful job on some laundry I needed doing, they organised my very early morning departure painlessly, I'm running out of compliments here -- it really is that good! Oh, one quirk -- if you order room service it's delivered in paper bags and take-away containers -- still tasty, etc, but under the heading of 'recyclable' you also get a bit of an impression of 'cheap'. What the heck, I was hungry, it was fast, I'm not complaining. Really the only thing I can find to complain about is that both the tea pot and the washbasin tap splashed a bit. So that spoiled it all - not. Loved it, will stop babbling now.

Room Tip: Worth paying the little extra for a harbour view, website makes very clear which ones are which. Hi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
We are most grateful that you took the time to post such a wonderful review of your recent visit to EAST, Hong Kong. It is so satisfying to see a review that describes so many of the aspects of the hotel we found would make us stand out when we came up with the concept - the fascinating harbour views, our smart, straightforward and functional room design, plenty of fun useful amenities in our rooms, and most importantly, genuine, friendly and helpful service. I have shared your review with the entire team, and on behalf of all of us, once again thank you! We can't wait to welcome you back to EAST, Hong Kong.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Service better than on previous visits
Food in Feast much improved too
Well located for east district of HK and easy access to Central and Causeway Bay by MTR.
My stay was much more enjoyable by upgrading to a harbour view room - rooms on other side are really overlooked and lacking in light

• Stayed October 2013
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Many thanks for posting yet another review of your most recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. In the hospitality world, there is nothing more rewarding than to turn a negative perception into a positive one, and I am delighted to see that we were able to do so for you. We have worked hard to make improvements to our food options throughout the hotel, and clearly it has paid off! I have shared this review with our culinary team and the rest of the staff. We very much appreciate your repeated business and loyalty to our brand, and we look forward to your next stay.