“Great for women travellers”
Review of EAST Hong Kong

EAST Hong Kong
Ranked #32 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I felt safe in this hotel and neighbourhood. The East has the things I want when I'm travelling for work: an iron, decent hair dryer, a desk, comfy bed with a reading light and fast WiFi. A make-up mirror with good lightening would be appreciated as the bathroom mirror was not well lit -- better suited to romance than putting on make-up. The rain shower was amazing, wish I had one that nice at home. The roof top bar Sugar was a pleasant surprise, I sat out of doors and appreciated the surrounding area without having to travel outside the hotel. And the shopping mall was huge -- complete with a skating rink. Having the MTR outside the front door was a bonus. The kitchen prepared delicious and varied food for good value - $198 HK for a buffet breakfast is a deal! For me, this was the perfect hotel to have spent a week in Hong Kong: clean, safe, comfortable, well located, good food, shopping, transportation and close to work. A great find!

Room Tip: My only tip is to check to make sure your door is closed when you leave the room, there isn't a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to hear you found EAST, Hong Kong perfect for all of your needs. We appreciate the feedback regarding the lighting in the bathroom mirror, we will certainly review it with the team. It's great to know you enjoyed Sugar and that you were able to take full advantage the outdoor space, which is certainly the highlight. We look forward to having you back at EAST, Hong Kong in a very near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Positives: harbor view rooms have amazing skyline views. Huge pool area. Cool roof top bar. Food in the restaurant was excellent. Next door to shopping mall and amenities.
Negatives: not the most central location for the tourist areas but a short trip on the metro. Service was ok but could have been a bit more natural/friendly..not consistent across all areas of the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi Graham,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. It's great to know you enjoyed your stay and that you took advantage of all our amenities. I'm very sorry to learn you felt the service was not natural or friendly, as we actually pride ourselves in being passionate about our service and in taking care of our guests. I have shared your review with the team so we can add extra focus on this so you can feel the difference during your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hong Kong and EAST very soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I like the idea of staying in a hotel that is located within a residential area. It was next to a MTR station and there is a big shopping mall across the road. Hence, finding food and shopping is of no issue. The shopping mall also has a big skating rink, so if you have kids, it would be really cool.

The size of the room is small, but I guess, this is the norm for hotel room in Hong Kong. But the design was good, hence, it did not feel cramp. However, you can view the flats opposite the hotel if you do not lower the blinds, hence, you have to keep the blinds shut most time for privacy.

The only thing that got me upset was the communication among the staff. My friend passed something to me on the day of my arrival at the hotel, however, it was misplaced. I asked twice for it at the reception and they claimed that no package left for me. Hence, my friend has to spend time calling and tracking down who is the staff she handed the item to. I think the hotel should establish some procedures to ensure such incident do not happen. The whole incident was upsetting as it wasted time on my friend and my part trying to track the package.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at EAST, Hong Kong. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you highlighting all the positives of your stay. In regards to the issue you encountered with your package, I am truly sorry. We looked into the situation further and I can certainly understand your frustration with something which should be so simple. We have reviewed our processes for package delivery and I am confident that this issue was an isolated one, and I certainly hope that it will not deter you from returning to EAST in the future. I ask that you kindly contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com when planning your next visit, as I would love to give you an upgrade to a harbour view room for the challenge you encountered. Once again, my sincere apology on behalf of the entire team.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there twice in 2014 for business. The sevice was great. The quality of the room is perfext. If you are on business trip you cant ask for more. They have 24hours gym, bike rental. The feast res is ok..for the price

• Stayed: May 2014

Many thanks for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at EAST, Hong Kong on TripAdvisor. We are honored to be considered the "best" business hotel and are delighted you enjoyed your stays with us. Thank you for your repeated business so far this year and come visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

East is a very well executed and classy hotel that was a pleasure to stay at.

The positives:
Service from all staff is excellent. I had a 29th floor harbour view corner room which has a well-designed layout and use of space. The harbour view really is quite a sight when you opened the door after a day in the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong. The walk-in shower is superb and what an amazing view! Cleanliness can't be faulted. Wi-fi is good speed and reliable. The pool on 4th floor is fantastic - huge size and was not busy in the mornings. I'd highly recommend the breakfast option which is high quality and a superb selection.

The negatives
For all the thought put into the design of the room, there's a strange lack of any storage for clothes that can't be hung up! No shelves or drawers at all for clothes. The safe (hidden away in a drawer beside TV) is billed as "laptop compatible" but is tiny and a 15" laptop will not fit. Both of these niggles could be fixed with a traditional safe and drawer unit in the wardrobe (there is ample space). Finally, the room arrival experience could be better. It wasn't obvious at all that the hotel compendium was on the iPod and it took me 2 nights before I discovered the electric blackout blinds. A printed welcome card would improve this.

Room Tip: If staying on a weekend, look for the hotel's own "weekend recharge" package which off...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hi Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review about your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. The team is grateful for the compliments about their service and hope to have another chance to take care of you. We did note your constructive comments and will be using your feedback when it's time to make modifications in the room. In regards to the compendium being on the iPod, it is actually one of the many efforts we have towards being sustainable. I will ensure, however, that our Guest Experience mentions the information about the blinds and the electronic compendium to our guests at check-in.

I also hope to have you back at EAST, Hong Kong very soon, and hopefully you can try our sister property in Beijing (and then Miami as of next year) in a near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel is pretty well-maintained with room for improvement especially on the quality of the staff and in-room dining experience.

Nothing interesting with the corner room vs the normal room. Better to save the money for something else.

The in-room dining was horrible. The food was served cold and served in those take away packaging!

Breakfast was excellent.They served a good variety of hot breakfast.

The worst experience was to receive emails from the hotel that i wrongly took the ipod charger! Despite my explanation that I was not aware where's the location of the charger inside the room (which was hidden under the wooden board of the side table), the hotel sent another email alleging the same. I felt disturbed and the emails were circulated to a number of people within the hotel. Despite the apology, i just felt that the matter could be handled in a more professional manner.

Room Tip: Avoid corner room that don't add much comfort to the stay though in term of size is slightly lar...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi Terrence,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I attempted to contact you via private message, sorry I was unable to get in touch with you. We appreciate your comments and express our sincere apologies that your experience during your visit was not what you expected. I have shared your review with the team in order to continue improving the way we handle situations and I assure you that our team will be more sensitive and proactive when handling a similar challenge in the future. Thank you once again for the great feedback and please give us another chance to turn your perception around. Kindly contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com when planning your next trip to Hong Kong so I can personally ensure all your arrangements are handled.

Until then, we remain at your service for anything else you may need.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is great for business travelers. Breakfast at Feast is quick and delicious with buffet and a la carte options available, perfect to start the day. Sugar bar is funky with amazing views and also great bar food with big portions, and also a good selections of cocktails. The rooms are modern, clean, convenient (power points next to bed, power adapter in room, iron etc) and the beds are comfy. The shower has awesome pressure, so much so I didn't want to get out. There are also beautiful views from the floor to ceiling windows in the rooms. It is close to the harbour to go walking in the mornings.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi Michele,

The team really loved reading your review, thank you! When we decided to build a business hotel, we thought of what the perfect experience sounded like, and you just replicated our thoughts. We really appreciate your positive feedback and have shared it with the entire team.

Hopefully we will see you back at EAST, Hong Kong, very soon!

Warm regards,