“Excellent hotel in Hong Kong”
Review of EAST Hong Kong

EAST Hong Kong
Ranked #33 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
San Francisco, California
“Excellent hotel in Hong Kong”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

First-class business hotel in Quarry Bay, on the eastern side of Hong Kong Island. It is located next to Cityplaza, a modern office and shopping complex with many good dining options, and Taikoo Shing, a large but relatively quiet residential area. You can reach downtown HK (Central) in about 20 minutes by subway (MTR) or taxi. The hotel has a corporate look and the rooms are a bit small, but the furnishings, decor and amenities are all modern and of high quality, and the rooms are very clean and well maintained. The open bathroom area has an innovative, appealing space-saving design. The staff was courteous and professional. The hotel has a large, airy dining room, but we only ate there once (nice breakfast), as it is kind of expensive compared with the many restaurants nearby. We were very satisfied with our stay and would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bernard,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for sharing your positive experience of EAST, Hong Kong with other travelers. It is wonderful to see you enjoyed your visit and that you would like to come visit us again. I do want to clarify that we are actually located in Taikoo Shing rather than Quarry Bay, but we are very close to Quarry Bay indeed. We hope to have you back with us again in a very near future.

EAST, Hong Kong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I was working with a client, whose office is about a 10 minute walk from East hotel. The client booked me here. I didn't know what to expect.

Wow, was I surprised. This hotel just does business right. From the lobby, to the expertly designed rooms, to the ultra-comfortable beds, to the amazing open air waterfall showers in the bathroom, to the totally hip and affordable rooftop lounge, Sugar. There is nothing I didn't like about this hotel. Nothing.

How would I describe it to an American? Well...it reminds me a lot of a Kimpton property in the states. If you're not familiar with Kimpton, they're a boutique chain of hotels with excellent quality small hotels, throughout the U.S. Kimpton hotels are similar to W hotels, but without all the attitude and much much better service.

I was surprised at check in when I was told I had been upgraded to a corner room. Wow, what a room. Beautiful panoramic views of the mountain and the bay. Two sides of the room have floor to ceiling windows with button-operated automatic blinds. Pretty sweet. If I come back to this hotel, I'll pay extra and get this view. Just amazing.

The rooms had every amenity you could imagine, and a business desk that had everything possible in it to ensure successful work efforts. After Day 3, I even found my television (haha!). It was hiding behind a sliding piece of wall art. And again, don't even let me start on that shower. I took photos of it so that I can describe to my builder the shower I want in my new home. Love love love that shower. And love the glass windows from the bathroom to the bedroom. It really opens up the small-ish rooms to make them look bigger. But, do keep in mind that for HKG, these rooms are actually pretty darned large. The bathroom was impressively large. I think my room was about 333 sq. feet. That's monster sized for HKG.

The hotel was next to a large shopping mall with a cinema atop it. There were also ample restaurants nearby. A very nice Korean BBQ joint and also a nicely affordable Chinese place. I'll be sure to review them too.

Service was excellent! The front desk attendants were polite, friendly, and very knowledgeable. I liked the greeter by the elevators each day. He wore this funky cool suit and high top Chuck Taylors! Funky cool! I also appreciate their attention to being green. I was told there were NO plastic bags in all of the hotel, aside from the garbage liners in the kitchen trash cans. Impressive! I needed a bag to put my dirty clothes in and the attendant suggested I use the hemp laundry bag in the room. Also, the rooms are key card activated for power and A/C -- to save energy when you're out of the room.

Bottom line: if you're going to be doing business here in Taikoo Shing, this is THE place to stay, bar none. It's a little bit far out of the way for general vacation stay (30 minute MTR ride to Central) but perfect for doing business in this area. Just stay here. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent experience at EAST, Hong Kong. It is fabulous to learn that you found EAST was the perfect fit for your needs as a business traveler and that you were able to enjoy all of what we have to offer while staying with us. We really appreciate you highlighting our room product, but most importantly we are grateful that you found the service to be outstanding. We look forward to taking great care of you again soon, and also mention that we will be opening EAST, Miami next year!

Hong Kong
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend was in HK for a weekend and I booked this hotel for her. Its very good hotel with great service. Our biggest impression was "Danny" the guy who answered the phone helped us 2 dinner times with almost impossible task for restaurant. We couldn't get table at Peking garden even we called but Danny could!
Nice sky bar they have, amazing view.
We would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review about your experience at EAST, Hong Kong. It is always great to see our team members getting recognized for going above and beyond, so thank you for mentioning how Danny was able to get you the reservations you and your girlfriend needed. We have shared your review with him and the rest of the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to EAST again very soon.

Best regards,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at East over 10 times - I know that only because they made a big deal about it with an upgrade and hand written letters of appreciation from the management.
It's a great business hotel, modern, clean, courteous staff and cool rooms and bar. The day I realised just how well suited it was as a business hotel was the day that I brought my wife and (just) 2 year old daughter to stay with me - after a head crunch in to the desk by my daughter on account of the space between the bed and the desk being only around 60cm and only 10 minutes after arrival it was time to pack the bags and head to The Four Seasons ( which I should have booked in the first place but was being too tight). East tried everything to accommodate us and offered an upgrade (slightly discounted) but we would have had to wait for 2 days as they are as always incredibly high in the occupancy stakes. So morale of the story is book East early for your business trip to TaiKoo Place and don't take the family!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Ben T
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your loyalty to EAST and I am happy to see that you enjoyed the amenities given to you on your 10th visit. I am sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter. Please do let me know if you are ever planning on bringing the family to Hong Kong again and I will be happy to extend a very special price for one of our suites, which I assure you has enough space for all of you. Kindly email me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com so I can personally assist you.

Best regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is rather new and elegant, but not a hotel were to bring your kids or teenagers.

I recently stayed some days with my 16 years old daughter. The only reason we selected this hotel was for the rooftop-terrace and its views. I nice place to chill with my family, but my daughter wasn't allowed access at any time due to her age (min.18) ???

The good news is the restaurant that was excellent.

The hotel is well located near attractions, shopping malls and business centers, via the very nearby metro station.

Room Tip: The hotel is well located near attractions, shopping malls and business centers, via the very nearby...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Richards_remarks
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your positive review of EAST, Hong Kong. It is great to know that you enjoyed your time staying with us and appreciate you highlighting Feast in particular. I am sorry that your daughter wasn't allowed to visit Sugar, which is for adults 18 and older only due to our license. I do hope this will not deter you from visiting us again soon.

Singapore
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Room is near perfect. Decent size, very clean with nice toiletries. Directly connected to Tai Koo MTR station.

Views out if you're facing the bay is amazing and towers above everyone once you're above 20th floor. If you've a mountain facing view, not so nice.

About 7 MTR stations away from Central but it takes only about 10 mins and HKD7 so worth the travel.

Rooftop bar, Sugar, is a nice spot to catch the night scene.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
JenniferCheung, General Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay as well as the location.

We hope to see you soon again at EAST, Hong Kong. If there is anything we could make your future stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jennifercheung@swirehotels.com.

Have a wonderful day!

Best regards

Jennifer Cheung
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have now stayed at this hotel on 4 occasions, as the hotel is walking distance to my office in Hong Kong. Being close to Tai Koo Station is extremely convenient for trips to other parts around the city as well as arriving and leaving via the Airport Express. The nearby Cityplaza, as well as shops and restaurants, mean there are plenty of opportunities to get out and about in the local area.
The rooms are basic, but have everything you need. The design of the bathrooms are fine for the single traveller but as a couple you are quite exposed to each other. All meals- whether in the restaurant, room service or at the roof bar (great views!), are served promptly.
The bag or home wash service, is a great option for when you've been travelling awhile.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
JenniferCheung, General Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to write your review.

We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and if there is anything we could do to make your future visits more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jennifercheung@swirehotels.com

Have a wonderful week ahead.

Best regards