If you are claustrophic and traveling alone - do not stay in the private room.
This was my first time staying in a hostel in HK and even though I was aware that the room was going to be small I was not prepared for the prison like conditions of the private room for a single person.
The total size of the single private room is about the size of a closet. The bed is encased by three tiled walls and when you slip off the edge of the bed you are literally at the bathroom. I barely could close the door to take a shower b/c there was just no space!
The noise in the room is also very creepy. The sounds get flitered through the exhaust pipes and by the time it reaches your room it has an echoey effect. I could not sleep and was very grateful someone happened to have been hammering at the same time and I was able to get upgraded to a double occupancy room.
The double occupancy rooms were much better (I stayed in a room with windows) in terms of natural sounds (Mong Kong is busy so be prepared for city noises) and a bit more space. The bathroom is still very tight so if you're not that close with your traveling partner you'll need to schedule shower times as you will have to step out of the bathroom naked. There is no space and everything in there will get wet.
- staff very friendly, however as noted by others the brother and mother have very limited English
- free wifi (hard to find in the city) and free local calls
- discounted tickets to local attractions
- location is pretty central with food and 7-11 close by
- If I havent' said it enough times - SOLO travelers do not stay in that private room
- I stayed on two separate occasions (once by myself and the 2nd time with a friend) with a one day break. They charged me to leave my luggage behind. I was a bit surprised as I was coming back to continue my stay and it was 1 piece for 1 day.
- Check out time is stated at 12pm on the bookings but they will try to get you out by 11am. I stayed until 12pm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oi Suen Guesthouse is located at Hong Kong shopping center, Mongkok.We are newly established,comfort,clean and tidy,providing free computer Internet access,WIFI,cool and hot water,towel and personal appliances etc.All railway and bus stations can be reached within 5 minutes which is convenience for you to travel,visit and stay with us. Mongkok is crowded for 24hours,so the eating,shopping……all are surroundings.Even Hong Kong People ourselves also tend to book a hostel for our relatives in Mongkok as it is too convenience!We believe that nothing is more important then communication. We are pleased to be a travel consultant and solve your doubt with email, msn, facebook for communication. We wish the relationship between us is friendship. Our staffs are friendly and keen to make a recommendation about shopping and eating for you.So, OiSuen Guesthouse is your best choice! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Oi Suen Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oi Suen Guesthouse Hotel Hong Kong
- Oi Suen Guesthouse Hong Kong