“Nice hotel, shame about the noise!”

L'hotel Island South
Ranked #137 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I would love to give L'Hotel a great review based on the hotel itself and the quality of the staff. However, I was completely let down by the amount of noise in the hotel during my two week break.

Focusing on the positives, the hotel itself is great and the location was not a problem. Having stayed in a variety of Hong Kong hotels closer to central, I was concerned about where L'Hotel was located. However much to my surprise the shuttle bus is extremely convenient and punctual. It only took 10-15 minutes to get to central, which is nothing compared to how long it can take to even get across central! The perks of being in its location were that the hotel was situated in a quiet yet industrial area without the hustle and bustle of the city centre. The staff were informative and polite at all times from the moment I checked in until check out reflecting on the standard of their professionalism.

At around 8am every morning the hotel became exceptionally noisy. The cleaning staff insisted on leaving the doors of the rooms they were cleaning open, which caused noise throughout the corridor. Cleaning staff also had a habit of screaming at one another across the hallways which interfered with my sleep. If you're ever looking for a slight lie-in, you won't find it at L'Hotel. I moved rooms 6 TIMES during my two week stay because of a variety of malfunctions including being given a twin room instead of a double and building noise. However, staff were always to accomodate my request and for one night I was even upgraded to a suite. In addition, throughout my stay I was given rooms with a mountain view despite paying for a city view.

I do believe there are other hotels in Hong Kong with a much better sleep quality, and more professional cleaning staff. But L'Hotel is perfect for the deep sleeper!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 March 2012

very affordable and good for the family must come back again...it was accessible but it was quite far from the city but still you can manage and enjoy the vacation with the family

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I think the location is acceptable, although it is located in industrial area and rounded by some factories. It is close to the city around 10 mins in public transport and the hotel is provided shuttle bus frequently.

The decoration is fairly good as a four stars hotel. The hotel upgraded as king size bed. Inside the room, overall design is simple, clean and new, but carpet is more preferred. There is also some problem in controlling air-conditioner, no warm air even torn as heat. We just torn it off it last.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a couple of weeks with my parents in law, and our then 16 month old daughter a while back, just after the hotel opened. Rooms were great, about average size for a Hong Kong hotel room. Well appointed, the only thing that wasnt ideal for the little one was polished floors rather than carpets. Housekeeping was very efficient on the few occasions we needed to call them. The concierge and front desk staff are exceptional - helped my wife to find her (expensive) mobile phone which she dropped on the shuttle bus (& didnt realise until the next day). The one question on everyone's lips is - location. Is it too far away? We found that [1] taxis are fairly easy (and inexpensive), [2] there are lots of (quick) buses that head towards Causeway Bay (& other destinations) stopping frequently right outside the hotel entrance. The hotel itself is right by Ocean Park (which was a bonus) and not far from Aberdeen (Little Hong Kong). What other hotels in Hong Kong dont tend to have and L'hotel does, is a peacefulness/quietness (particularly on the upper floors). Hill view rooms are to be recommended. As with most Hong Kong hotels, mainland chinese tour groups often visit.(For those that like to enjoy the peace and quiet, it may be worth mentioning discreetly on arrival that you wish to be on a quieter floor!)

Room Tip: [1] Hill view rooms are best, on an upper floor; [2] Request a 'quieter' floor.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Sammyb90
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My first time stay was a good surprise. I had to go to Hong Kong for a short trip and booked this hotel on Expedia. I was extremely surprised. I arrived late in the evening but managed to have a great dinner at the restaurant. Check in and check out went smoothly and the staff at the door were extremely helpful to get a taxi for the day. They helped me negotiate with a taxi driver. I always found it difficult to find a taxi during peak hours in HK and therefore decided to book ataxia for the whole day including the trip to the airport. The rooms are clean and of good size.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Even though the location might scare aou off at first, I can definetly recommend this place. You can be in the city center in 10-15 min, there is even a shuttle bus provided by the hotel. The gym and the pool are a basic, but nice. Something the hotel is missing, is a relly good restaurant and bar. There are plenty of better options in Hong Kong. Besides that, the rooms are very nice and clean and the staff was always helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank robirob15
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here in mid-December at a cut-price rate which made it reasonable value. My husband was taken ill so we had to stay an extra night for which they charged us full price - extortionate for what it was. The room was large and well equipped but the noise levels ridiculous. The people in the room next door seemed to run water every hour during the night and it was as if they were in the room with us. Also a great deal of noise from people arriving in the middle of the night and going out early in the mornings. We did not have one night of unbroken sleep.
Prices in the restaurant were high although we only had breakfast there a couple of times. After that we brought in our own food for breakfast and found the fridge very useful for this. We chose to stay in this hotel as it was near to where our family live but would probably go further away next time to find a better hotel.
The staff were eventually helpful when my husband was taken ill but initially did not seem interested. I found it difficult to arrange for a doctor to come, send faxes to the insurance company and so on and we were unable to arrange a late checkout on the day we were leaving for a midnight flight from the airport. The most helpful staff were on the garage level where they were unfailingly polite and helpful, opening car doors, dealing with luggage, operating the lifts and calling taxis when needed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family