“Just Not Enough Here to Justify the $500+ Price”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hullett House

Ranked #8 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Barcelona, Spain
“Just Not Enough Here to Justify the $500+ Price”
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Each room is decorated differently. Mine had a very pretty Chinoiserie canopied bed and lots of space but not much furniture, so the room felt bare. The bathroom wasn't especially well-designed, and it was a bad idea to carry over the room decor which made this particular bathroom feel dated rather than charming. Room lighting was poorly thought out and there was no bedside lamp. However the bed was very comfortable.

The verandah is not private, unless you get the even pricier corner rooms. This made it mostly unusable since you can't relax on it when anyone else at all is around.

I was really annoyed that the tv cable system provided only about 10 channels, all Chinese except for one which occasionally had random English programs. There were no mainstream English channels - no CNN, History, Discovery, NatGeo, HBO - none.

It is very hard to find the Reception desk. Around the shopping area many signs point this way and that way to "Hullett House" but they refer to the building, not the hotel, and there is not a single sign that actually shows you how to get to the entrance or lobby. The hotel entrance is not on Canton Road or anywhere in the shopping area but on Kowloon Park Drive. Even when you finally get to the right entrance and get into the elevator, there is no mention of the lobby. (Go to the First Floor, ring the bell, and sooner or later someone will come.)

All in all, the management is charging you a lot for the history and the location, and the one-off room decor, and is offering very little in return by way of amenities or services. At this price a guest deserves more than a pretty bed. Try it once if you wish, just for something different, but this is not a hotel I would care to come back to on my regular stopovers in Hong Kong.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank MannyG2000
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hullett House. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Please refer to me directly for your next visit to prevent any future occurrences, as I can bring some "french touch" and drive your stay more comfortable.

Looking forward to hear you again.

BR
+852 5416 8184

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jhb
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay here, in the D'aguilar room! The Sunday lunch was out of this world and well worth the money. The room was stunning and the hotel is well located,near the ferry and rail lines. Breakfast was great.... Eggs Benedict is my favourite and this was well perfect. Great trip to Hong Kong and a very special hotel. We chose it by chance because we knew the hulette name from our past (not related to the hotel,just association). But we can recommend it unreservedly.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kadJhb
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Kadjhb,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hullett House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Incredible hotel with genuine history and character. Not only does it offer amongst the best service I have experienced, but provides something few others can, a real piece of Hong Kong's story.

Breakfast on the terrace, sitting in the sun, overlooking the island and watching the world below was a particular highlight.

I had a great champagne brunch in the parlour with friends, highly recommend if staying here or otherwise.

Special mention goes to Perrine, the house manager, a delight to deal with, made me feel incredibly welcome and couldn't have been more helpful.

Room Tip: Check out the website, find a couple of suites you might like and ping them an email to see if they...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank stuart_n1_ldn
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear Mr. Stuart,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hullett House. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback.

Thank you also for letting me know that I achieved your expectation.
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

united kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

It's absolutely not the fact! I stayed there the night before my big day not long ago! The lighting in the room was failed and nobody let me know the faulty problem until I found out by myself at 3 something at midnight! A staff came to my room and showed me how to use a chopstick to control the lightings behind the wardrobe. Then he turned to me after he realized even those switches were inoperable. He suggested me to remove the keycard to turn off the light for bed! So I paid the price of a 5-star hotel and I don't even have air-conditioner in my room!

The incapable and unhelpful manager even said if she were myself, she would forget about it and go out to enjoy the city! Trying to avoid meeting myself and my husband when we returned to the hotel to follow up after she did not contact us at all that she promised twice. Blaming us for taking photos in the hotel room with photography crew on my big day while emphasizing that even using an iphone to take pictures in the room is prohibited! Final settlement was a complimentary tea service in one of their restaurants which group purchase have had offered a few times at around HK$100! Huge surprise!

Think twice if you don't want to risk to ruin your holiday or once-in-a-lifetime event! I am sure you wouldn't face such terrible people and unfavorable experience if you have the same problem in any other well-known 5-star hotel. I would rather pick a chain hotel that guarantee excellent service and value their customers at all times after this awful experience!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Elle1209
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear Elle1209,

Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention your stay issue you had recently in Hullett House on September 2012.Your willingness to share your recent experience is highly appreciated.

Regarding your wedding issue, I am highly concerned but this is a good point you mention to us.
Indeed, the shootings are not allowed inside the property as we really want to keep this property as unique, due to the Heritage background of the building. I thank you for your understanding.

In the future, we highly recommand you to let us know upon reservation in advance, your purpose of stay as we can arrange a special package arrangement.

Please contact us on our email hotel@hulletthouse.com to know more details about your concerns as we can improve our services in the future.

I thank you very much and hope to serve you personally in the near future.

Regards
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I have mixed feelings about my stay at Hullet House. We stayed in the Pui O suite. I love the fact that they gave it a very retro Hong Kong theme that really tickles your senses and they managed very well to pretty much keep much of the old Maritime Police building intact which alone brings plenty of character to the place. The rooms are the largest I have ever stayed at in any hotel ever. It almost seems a waste of space. The large government issued balcony windows reaching up to the tall ceilings come complete with government issued brass fittings all still intact along with the old creaky wooden oak floor slats leading you out to a large common balcony area where you can have breakfast over looking Hong Kong harbour like a real Taipan. Management certainly spared no cost in the quality of all the fittings in the room.

However, one niggly part of my stay was the design of the shower. In their attempt to bring some modern hip design to the rooms they made the shower floor evenly flat, meaning the water had a tendency to spill all over the bathroom floor. Fearing a flood we erected our own dam out of towels around the shower area. Fix this small issue and I would love to come back again.

The entrance to the hotel is actually down near the main road on the side of the hotel where there is a small elevator that will take you to the lobby. It's very easy to miss so keep an eye out for it.

The hotel is not reachable directly by MTR. Instead, take the Airport rail to Kowloon station and hop on the hotel bus to Marco Polo Hotel. From there its just a 5 minute walk and easy enough to reach with luggage in tow.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BritinBangkok
Dear BritinBangkok,

It's a pleasure to receive your feedback and I thank you for this.

I am sad you didn't find out the right exit from MTR as we do have direct access from MTR station "Tsim Sha Tsui East", Exit L5 ! I hope it will help next time, and for our other next guests !

I hope anyway to serve you personally in the near future.

Best Regards
Hullett House Hotel

No 2A Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
T : 3988 0000 F : 2368 2325
M : 5416 8184

Email : perrine.riboulot@hulletthouse.com
Paris, France
Reviewed 26 December 2012

A colleague and I stayed at the Hullett House during a business trip to Hong Kong. The suites are sumptuous and beautifully decorated - every one of them unique - and the building is an old colonial police station. There don't seem to be many colonial buildings left in the city and the atmosphere of this hotel is special because of that. The suites all have a veranda with a view of the Hong Kong skyline across the bay. All the rooms were fantastically appointed - great bath products and I particularly enjoyed the little pastries left in the room every evening. The suites were quiet and peaceful, a good retreat after a day in busy Hong Kong.

The staff at the hotel - particularly Perrine, the house manager - were really friendly and went far out of their way to make our stay comfortable - including giving us their cell phone numbers to call any time we needed help or advice. Perrine gave us some really good restaurant recommendations, which was not easy considering we were vegetarian.

I absolutely loved my stay at the hotel and was quite sad to leave! Very highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Hari S
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, 30 December 2012
Dear Mr Hari Selvarajan,
I am glad you get a memorable stay with us in Hullett House. I appreciate your comments.
Feel free to contact me again for any assistance in Hong Kong when your next trip shows up, and also, for any friends requests. Thank you again. Best Regards, Ms Perrine R
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 November 2012

For the same price as a suite at any other hotel you get one of the best properties in all of HK.

I would love to stay here for a couple weeks!! It felt like I had a home in HK and just steps from the elevator to the metro line at TST.

Best food in HK and awesome ambiance!!

Room Tip: Get one of the Suites on the end it has 2 private balconies with an awesome view and its there is a...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank GOCONSOLE
Dear Gonconsole,

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. .