“Thumbs up for the service”

Butterfly on Wellington
Ranked #42 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Thumbs up for the service”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I did not have a great first impression of the hotel as I felt claustrophobic, from the narrow cluttered street to the small concierge area which greeted us as we entered. My friends recommended me this hotel for its location but I had not expected it to be situated right next to a lane which appears to be a wet market of some sort, though I must say the fruits displayed at the stalls look deliciously inviting on a hot Saturday afternoon.

But the disappointment did not last when we stepped into the first floor reception which was infused with the fragrance jasmine and lilies.Check in was a breeze, done efficiently by the front desk personnel (I do feel bad for forgetting his name). We were brought to our rooms on the ninth floor by Ivan who was a constant and consistent great help during our stay - from showing us the quickest way to the MTR to suggesting the best places to have breakfast and lunch. Jane must be mentioned too, for standing in the rain to hail us a cab one morning, all the while smiling demurely. I was really impressed by the staff and I hope the Management takes note of their hard work and dedication at ensuring the comfort of their guests.

I had a deluxe twin room and another sister a superior queen room. Both were clean and comfortable but if you need space I would suggest you pay a bit more for the deluxe one as the superior room looked rather small (not great for a claustrophobic like me). Only issue I had was the plumbing in my room could have been better (I think it was what caused the strange odor in the bathroom). It was also surprisingly quiet despite being located on a busy street.

If you like night life, Lan Kwai Fong is right next street. There are shops, restaurants including famous ones like Yung Kee and Mak En Kee. Opposite the hotel is a small cafe Master Food, which serves breakfast and really great coffee, and they do delivery to the hotel as well at no extra cost. Just go get a menu from them - it has their telephone on it, and you will get breakfast delivered to your room.

Overall, nice hotel. Go try it out.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Audr33
Butterfly_Hotels, Group Guest Services Manager at Butterfly on Wellington, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
We are so happy learning that your staying experience was a great one because of our wonderful guest services team. It's lovely you liked our guest room and overall hotel quality, and we definitely hope to see you again soon in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
baltimore
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous walking into BOW for the first time. The street is very busy and full of local traffic--not the glitz and glamour of the Kowloon side. However, walking into the reception area of BOW is very calming and relaxing after the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong. The colors and decor are calming and there is a wonderful scent permeating the lobby. Unfortunately, that aroma doesn't permeate the guest floors and they are quite musty smelling. Fortutately, once in the room with the AC on the mustiness disappears for the most part. The rooms are small and the carpet and furnishings are a bit dated, but the bed is comfortable and the room is clean. The bathroom is a delight with beautiful tile and fixtures. The shower provides lots of water pressure and hot water. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We are glad to hear you have enjoyed such a nice stay with us. The relaxing, comfortable environment you mentioned is in fact what we strive to offer our guests in this busy and fast Central district. We are proud to have impressed you this time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York City, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The staff is doing what the can, and certainly as polite, professional and nice as they can since, I assume, they person I spoke to wasn't a manager. However, the wi-fi is so slow and the room I stayed in the first night smelled like smoke. They moved me--- 15 floors down from my original room and didn't offer a discount until I AKSED FOR IT. When I did, they offered me a 10% discount-- which was nice. The location was great. THAT'S the selling point and I'd come back if it was the only choice in this price range.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Caroline_NewYorkCity
Thanks a lot for sharing with us your feedback, we are glad the hotel location has impressed you much. Meanwhile i's a pity that we have to offer you a room change due to the mentioned issue. We will definitely study the case, pay extra effort if necessary to ensure each guest room are in great condition according to our usual standard. Next time when you are coming back to stay with us we will surely make it a much more enjoyable experience.
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Butterfly on Wellington for 2 nights, whilst on a business trip in April 2014.

After a 12 hour flight, and a 2 hour journey into Hong Kong, I was really looking forward to relaxing in my room. After walking around for a little while (got a little lost) I eventually found the hotel. I could walk to the office (in Queens Road) in around 2 minutes.

I was greeted by a very friendly man, who took me up in the lift to the reception area. Once I has checked it, it was long before I was in the comfort of my room on the 12th floor (given a free room upgrade too).

The room itself was very spacious with lots of room to manoeuvre my case. I had a twin room so had the choice of beds. The bathroom was lovely...big shower and nice sink area. Really great for doing make up & hair as there was lots of room for products. The room came with a safe deposit box (free to use), fridge & coffee making facilities. Also got a complimentary pair of slippers & toiletries. The bed was very comfy & had a really great sleep both nights (minus Jetlag). TV was on good working order & had a good selection of channels.

All staff were very friendly an accommodating and were always on hand to help. Free WIFI was really fast & easy to connect to.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the BOW & will definitely request to stay here when I visit Hong Kong again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rjn-x
Butterfly_Hotels, Group Guest Services Manager at Butterfly on Wellington, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
It's so lovely to hear you had a wonderful stay with us! We are glad that you enjoyed the guestroom, facilities and most importantly the friendly guest services we provided you. Thanks a lot for your support and surely your next stay with us would be another enjoyable experience.
Beijing, China
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We spann the week end at this hotel, we didn't plan but at the last minute we have to stay in Hong Kong for few day and check quickly on TP, i normally always stay in spg propriety but it was fully book and spg location in HK is not that good. I have to say the hotel is nice, the room are small (we are in HK after all) but very well design, i like the decoration and the small touch like the butterfly on the pillow, the staff are friendly the check in/check out was smooth and the price is correct if you look for somewhere to stay in central at the last minute i guess butterfly is it, i think they have a lot of room as the building have 26 floor with i guess 5 room per floor

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Fabulous to know you enjoyed your stay at Butterfly on Wellington. Your kind words regarding the hotel and the fantastic services are very encouraging. We will definitely keep up our good work and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Adelaide
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I only stayed for one night but the young staff were very pleasant and helpful. After a slightly rugged couple of days elsewhere, it was delight to stay there. I would happily stay there again if I was in Hong Kong.

• Stayed June 2014
Glad to know that you had an enjoyable night with us! We are pleased to have impressed you even it was a short stay, and we sincerely hope to offer you even greater and more memorable experience when you are returning to Butterfly on Wellington in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Ex-Hong Kongers we stopping over for a couple of nights to catch up with friends, and Cherrie and her team made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived after a long and delayed flight. They picked up from our passports that it was my husband's birthday and delivered a beautiful cake to our room - such a lovely surprise! Photos were taken and then given to us when we checked out. The hotel is good value and in a great location, the room and the bed were comfortable with everything we needed plus a few extras. Like many smaller HK hotels there was a slightly damp feel resulting from the humidity but nothing unpleasant. We'll definitely stay again when we're next there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We are simply delighted having the chance to share the wonderful birthday moment with your husband and that you two had a perfect experience with us. Cherrie and our guest services team are glad to have impressed you and we can't wait to serving you again very soon.