“I'd give them 6 stars if I could!”
Review of The T Hotel

The T Hotel
Ranked #7 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
saskatoon
“I'd give them 6 stars if I could!”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This is definitely a hidden gem in Hong Kong. A super luxurious hotel at a very competitive price. My husband and I stayed 4 nights in this hotel and could not say enough good things about it. The (training) staff are all very eager to help you. The room view is excellent and is quiet - nice to relax in a hot tub (with TV) after a day out in a busy city like Hong Kong. Would definitely stay there again (even I have a family home in Hong Kong). The location is a bit awkward - just tell the taxi driver to go to the 'Chinese cuisine training institute' instead when the taxi driver looks puzzled...

Make sure you book early - I think Tripadvisor makes them really popular!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sugi_lucifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a 5 star hotel for half the price, the students are extremely friendly and are always willing to help. The room is spacious and beautiful, we had the ocean view room and waking up to that view was amazing.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monique S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I am finding it very hard to rate the T Hotel. Certainly, I agree with much that has been written in the numerous 5-star reviews. The quality of the accommodation is first rate. It is by far the biggest room I have ever stayed in while visiting Hong Kong, and the room was full of features that I would only expect to see in a 5-star hotel: great views; very clean; separate bath and shower; extra TV in the bathroom (even though it was annoying that it came on by default every time I entered the room and put my keycard in the power socket); free and excellent WiFi service. I loved the little extras: the complimentary bath toys; free shuttle service to Central; two free bottles of drinking water for every night of my stay; and the biscuits and chocolates that were provided as part of the daily bed turn-down service.

But this hotel will not suit everyone, and it has a number of disadvantages that mean I cannot give it the maximum rating. For example, it does not enjoy a central location and, while there is a plentiful supply of buses that will take you there, the 20-30 minute trip to the Central area can become a bit testing over time. If you do use a taxi, make sure you have the address of the hotel and/or a map because my experience was that few drivers have heard of it or know where it is.

Meanwhile, a great deal of patience is required with the trainee staff. They are very inexperienced and their ability to speak english is limited. If you are a high maintenance traveller that expects top notch service, my advice is to steer clear. Having said that, the trainees do try very hard, and it was very pleasant being greeted every time I encountered a staff member on the way to/from my room.

You need to remember that staying at the hotel means that you agree to be part of the staff training. This means accepting some situations that you would not normally expect at conventional hotels. A good example of this is when I got a call at my door literally after I had stepped out of the shower. I barely had time to put on one of the complimentary dressing gowns before a parade of trainees and their supervisor were in my room for the bed turn-down service! I was able to laugh this off, but other guests might not be so laid back about the intrusion.

Other minor quibbles include the limited range of english-speaking TV channels. Other Hong Kong hotels I have stayed in have had Cable TV, which has enable access to a greater range of channels and movie channels. This is absent here. Admittedly, you don't come to Hong Kong to watch TV, but there are times when you just want to chill out in front of the TV.

I was also shocked to discover that, after I had checked in, my credit card had been charged over US$1000 for a five night stay, much higher than the rate I had been quoted. After making inquiries, I was told this was simply a deposit that would be refunded upon check-out. Being told this when I checked in would have avoided some unnecessary angst.

The main strength of the T Hotel is its incredible value for money. Not only are the room rates very competitive, but the cost of room service and eating at the restaurant is very cheap. Not only that, but the items in the well-stocked minibar appear to charged at cost - almost unheard of!!

I do hope that the increasing popularity of this hotel will not result in substantial increases in tariffs because I fear this will erode its main selling point.

In summary, while it retains it current price structure, I would certainly choose to stay at the T Hotel again. It's a great concept, and the quality of the accommodation is hard to beat. It won't suit everyone, however, and if you like to be in the heart of the city, or you expect superlative service when you travel, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
24 Thank SteveM_67
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here in Nov 2012 for six nights (3 nights, excursion to China, and return for another 3 nights). The hotel and staff are accommodating and a delight to deal with. They stored some of our luggage when we took a side trip into China and upon return, check in was easy and luggage was already put in our room.

We learned that staff are on training for 4 week periods in each of the departments. They are an absolute delight. The Hong Kong Government are to be commended for supporting such a program. Other destinations should learn from this. Experienced supervisors including instructors take turns in delivering the frontline service to keep them sharp. I hope they expand the program and the training hotel.

Some of the previous reviewers suggest that you should set your expectations around your stay being at a training hotel. I found that this is very useful, especially if you are a seasoned traveler. You need a little patience and you will be rewarded with great service. We had some of our most memorable moments when talking with some of the trainees who were trying to practice their English with you! The look on their faces and smiles, after they realized that they were successful in communicating and in helping you is priceless.

Depending on whether you want to be part of the hustle and bustle, or don't mind being a bit further away (10 to 15 minutes) to Central area will dictate whether the location is ideal for you or not. In our case, the ocean views, quality of the rooms and chance to experience a training environment, outweighed the extra distance.

We found the food to be average to good. We ate several dinner meals at the hotel. You can get better food outside, but it is reasonably priced, and convenient after a long travel day.

Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. There is one room designed for guests who have accessibility needs. I...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Golfwunder_11
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. Top views georgeous rooms and bathrooms excellent value good food and enthusiastic service. Easy to get to all areas of hk by public transport, taxis, or free hotel shuffle
Thankyou to all the trainees and managers for a memorable stay

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank pippaFremantle
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed here last week for three nights, my wife and 5 year old son. After a long flight from London en route back to Australia we were pretty tired. As soon as the taxi stopped outside (I would recommend a cab, rather than bus especially if travelling with children), our bags were scooped up by the eager staff and check in was especially quick. What seemed like an army of eager, courteous, young staff showed us to our room. What a room! It was huge, spacious with a pull out bed for my son. There was a new rubber duck in the bathroom, which I thought was a nice touch. We were pretty tired, so went straight to bed without really having a look from the window. I'm glad I didn't as the view when I pulled the curtains in the morning was amazing. The buffet style breakfast gave an even better view of the ocean with the cargo ships lazily passing us by. This was a great base for sightseeing, being only a 15-20 minute bus or cab ride to Central. This suited us perfectly, as we didn't want the manic hustle and bustle of downtown Hong Kong after a long trip with the accompanying jetlag. I guess the one minor quibble I had was the "Open" plan of the bathroom, with a big window letting the bedroom see all going on inside! Like I say, a small quibble.

I can only echo previous posters in my praise for the wonderful trainees and supervisors in making our stay such a great one. A credit to the hotel and the industry.

Room Tip: Ask for 627!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Brian M
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We were in a sea view room which was large and very well equipped. Can not fault a thing. Location is not a problem as the hotel has good bus links and public transport is a good way of experiencing foreign places. We travelled from the airport with the map page from the hotel website which was a good tip as the taxi driver had not heard of the hotel. If we are in Hong Kong again will not think about staying any where else.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room and watch the giant container ships sail past the windows. Or see the bla...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple