“pricey with a beautiful view”

The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
Ranked #2 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed there for about 5 days last November 2013 with my family. 2 kids ages 14 and 11yrs. old. The Hotel was located at the 102st floor in HK's tallest building. A landmark in itself. The view was beautiful and excellent. The interiors grand. Have to say the elevator from the 9th floor to the lobby at the 101st floor was quite fast and comfortable. Located at the Elements mall, a high-end mall with its own ice skating rink, movie houses, fast food (mcdonalds, starbucks, etc.) and supermarket but without the usual big crowds. It has the best pool ever with unrivalled view at the top of the hotel and excellent service. Only down side are the restaurants, a bit pricey and not that extra-ordinary for the price u pay... but still worth it ... should be in anyone's wish list ....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Very good hotel from a view & facilities perspective. But indeed outstanding on the staff's willingness to go out of their way to help the guests. I managed to catch my flight (after having to come back from the airport since I had forgotten my passport at the hotel) only because of the concierge's contacts with the airlines. Further, the staff couriered my id card international after i had left it in the hotel while in a hurry ! A real pleasure to work with such service-minded staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I'm at the RC in Hong Kong now and I can't believe the view I have from the 110 floor, this is by far one of the best hotel I have been or stay at. They have a bar on the 118 the floor which looks into the Harbor and I love it. Service is one of the best in the world, they do everything right! I been here for two days and everyone seems to know me by name. I can't wait to bring my wife here and have her try the spa because I had one of the best treatments ever!! I'll be back next month and I'm bring her along just so she can experience everything I did! The Best!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jake l
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton HK many times and I have to say the room service is the best I've ever experienced. Try the club sandwich. The pool is wonderful with an incredible view of the Bank of China building.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for a week in early March, on my own and travelling on business.

Hmmm, a bit of a mixed bag for me at the RC. I've been visiting Hong Kong for almost 20 years but have always stayed on the Island at the Mandarrin Oriental or more recently the Shangri-La (which is outstanding). I fancied a wee change and wanted to be closer to the markets so I opted for the RC.

The Good
Stunning hotel, modern and clean - though maybe the decor may not be too everyone's taste.

The rooms, whilst not exactly huge, were more than adequate for me. Huge tv, DVD player (not a great selection of channels on the tv), desk, double bed, nespresso coffee maker, huge deep bath, excellent shower and generally very comfortable. iPod and docking station provided with over 2,500 songs loaded.

The usual range of excellent toiletries, including mouth wash.

Between four and six bottles of water left every day. Turn down included one to several boxes of rather nice chocolates !

Service - without exception, every member of staff was excellent. Polite, attentive, informed and relaxed. I was regularly greeted by name. The concierge always remembered to ask about the items he had previously assisted with. Housekeeping staff were superb - very friendly and relaxed and incredibly attentive. Clothes hung up, my own food items were prepared on plates and one night I returned to find a note regarding my nail scissors. The room attendant noticed mine were rusty so she provided an additional pair, along with a lovely note.

Room service - pricey but excellent.

Gym - fabulous, especially the views.

The view - well, wow. From the 112th floor I had quite a stunning sight of the island and the harbour. Ok, it's not Sydney or Rio but the view, especially at night, is still breathtaking - though in the week I was here I only had the view on one day due to the weather and the low clouds.

The Bad
Incredibly, I was able to clearly hear noise from rooms around me. This was not excessive yelling or moving or the tv playing loudly. Over the week I had the pleasure to experience regular garbled conversations, a couple having sex and a Chinese man vomiting for 20 minutes this morning at 7am. There was also a periodic whining / wind sound. Engineers rectified the wind noise but weren't able to fix the noise. Seems it was coming through the air con vents. The hotel did offer to move me and were extremely apologetic. They have promised to look into it. I haven't seen many other comments on TA regarding room noise so I guess I was unlucky.

Very minor gripes - on arrival the room safe was broken, there was no in room dining menu and there was no iron or ironing board. All resolved immediately and really these were just very minor things.

Getting to the room - reception is on the 9th floor. You then take a lift to the 103rd floor. You then take another lift across the lobby to your room. After a few days the novelty soon wears off.

Location - a little good and bad here. I wanted to be closer to the markets (Temple Street, Jade, Ladies, Goldfish and Bird) so I liked being in this side and within walking distance - though Temple, which is the closest, is still a 20 minute walk. Kowloon MTR station is only 600 metres from the hotel so it's very accessible. Not sure why so many folk have complained about this - it's a 6 minute walk through a high class mall, completely covered, well sign posted and frankly it's very very easy to find and access ! MTR to Hong Kong only takes a few minutes. Taxi to the island takes about 15 minutes (HKD 150). Star Ferry terminal isn't too far either. However, if this was my first visit to HK i could understand why the Island side may be more attractive.

Hong Kong or China - a few people have commented that it just feels different here and I agree. HK island feels more cosmopolitan - interesting mix of locals, tourists, back packers and ex pats. The hotel was mostly Chinese and the Kowloon area certainly felt more like China than HK. Not a bad thing I should add, I enjoyed the different experience

The Ugly
The area all around the RC is undergoing an enormous amount of construction - mostly a new MTR station I believe. Therefore you are based slap bang in the middle of a building site. Walking in/out of the hotel is best via the Elements Mall but it's easy to get a little lost and very very difficult to negotiate this enormous building site, especially at night.

Would I return ? If I could guarantee clear blue skies a view of the island and a good nights sleep then yes !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Haggis_Supper
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I visited Hong Kong for the first time to celebrate 40th birthdays with my best friend and we treated each other to the Ritz Carlton 3hr Heaven and Earth spa treatment. Upon booking, we were encouraged to arrive an hour and a half earlier to fill in our details and make the most of the spa facilities, being the heat rooms and the incredible pool and spas located on the 118th floor. It was a foggy morning however we were fortunate to have a brief break in the weather and when the clouds broke, were treated to spectacular views of Hong Kong island and the harbour. Jerry, one of the pool attendants, was absolutely lovely and patiently answered my excited barrage of questions about The Ritz and Hong Kong in general.
When we were taken down to the treatment rooms, Indra who was my therapist, was knowledgable about the products, very passionate about working at the Ritz and gave me the best massage and facial I've ever had. And I've had many! Three hours felt like 5; it was complete indulgent, escapism. Afterwards, we enjoyed an included two course lunch by the pool and just when we thought it couldn't get any better, Jerry and a couple of his staff brought us a surprise chocolate birthday cake decorated with gold leaf. It was such a thoughtful gesture and they were as excited as we were.
Despite not being Ritz Carlton guests, every staff member we came into contact with was genuinely friendly and helpful. In particular, the level of attentiveness and service provided by Indra and Jerry made this a memorable experience. I highly recommend the spa and I would love to stay in the hotel next time I return to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed for four days at the Ritz in Hong Kong. My wife and i were there on a combination business and pleasure trip. There are not enough superlatives to describe the level of attention, care, comfort they provide. It is easily one of the top hotels in the world. The views are absolutely amazing. The breakfast rooms affords floor to ceiling windows to look out at the harbor. The Ozone bar is the highest bar in the world on the 118 th floor. The swimming pool is also the highest pool in the world on floor 116. The staff welcome you, greet you and know your name from the second you arrive. They simply can not do enough for you. The decor is stunning. the hotel starts on the 103 floor of the highest building in hong Kong. You have the best views in the city from your room. Everything is done at a six star level. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Hong Kong. The bar, restaurant, pool, staff, room design- everything is at a six star level and makes this one of the truly best hotel experiences in the world.

Room Tip: Every room is awesome but a harbor view makes it exceptional. They start on floor 109 so you can...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business