“Good place to experience HK food culture”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lin Heung Kui

Lin Heung Kui
Ranked #79 of 7,950 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Sheung Wan
Singapore, Singapore
“Good place to experience HK food culture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I rate this place 3.5 or Good but since there is no such category, I had to indicate very good.

I was there twice for breakfast over a period of 4 days because its near my hotel. Its definitely not your cleanest restaurants and crockery are also chipped etc, but that's just part of the food culture. They still have push-carts of dim sums. They have some items that one would not find back home so in terms of variety, its a lot more than Singapore. Eg the braised pig stomach in pepper was crunchy. The food is also reasonably priced.

As a Cantonese myself, I will come here over any Michelin-starred restaurants. The Hong Kong food culture is not sterile. Its a culture built up over generations. This applies also to the food that they served - which I cannot find however much I want to pay in Singapore.

The "Ma Lai Ko" here is one of the best I have ever tried. I must say I usually pass on this item during dim sum but a friend in our group wanted to try and it turned out to be so good that it was reason enough for us to return a few days later. The char siew here is also good.

Yes there are lots of other places in Hong Kong that's cleaner. But I would go back there for the atmosphere which is unmistakably Hong Kong. Everyone in my group enjoyed the food & experience.

• Visited January 2014

• Thai first
New York City, New York
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

So many better optionshave no idea how it gets such good reviews. Greasy, dirty, and worst of all the dumpling fillings taste very much the same. We found chuk yuen seafood restaurant on 3 connaught road to be very very good with ambiance that is much better with similar prices

2 Thank Bebsremote
Manchester, United Kingdom
“My most favourite breakfast ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We arrived here at 9:30 a.m. To find that it was full and there was a little bit of space left to share with another couple. First cmae the tea, and there were so many to choose from. Then came the trolley service, waiters and waitresses came round with a huge variety of Dim Sum, savoury and sweet. We were given a card which was stamped every time we selected a dish, to help work out the bill at the end. It was the most interesting and delicious breakfast I have ever had. Pork and shrimp dumplings, Crispy savoury pastries. Sweet pastries. Limitless choices.

• Visited December 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Great Selection and fast service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We went with few coworkers, and we manage to have a good lunch within 45min spending the right amount of money. I suggest to reserve at least 2 days prior. Great dim sum. I want to try for dinner. The server level of English it is not that fluent.

• Visited December 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Go for the experience more than the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a traditional Dim Sum restaurant meaning you go in and find an empty seat (normally shared with strangers) and ladies wheel round trolleys of dim sum from which you can pick food.

Although, I enjoyed eating here it can be quite intimidating-especially given the lack of English spoken out written anywhere. The staff are friendly enough though and between my broken Cantonese and their broken English we understood each other enough to order food. We did end up taking a gamble on few dishes as we couldn't work out exactly what they were but that was all part of the experience.

I thought the food itself was fairly average. I enjoyed it as a one off but I won't be making this my regular place to come for dim sum.

• Visited November 2013