“Expect everything of a hotel and they have it”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #5 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Expect everything of a hotel and they have it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Modern, sleek, clean. Location is close to shopping but requires some walking. However hotel has free shuttle to the key malls in Tsim Tsa Tsui and MTR stations. Cab drivers may not be familiar with the hotel because it's new. Best to get a card from the hotel just to be sure you can direct the cab back to the hotel. Free WiFi. Sanctuary for a city & shopping holiday. More importantly, staff are honest. Saved money from paying for an airport shuttle after they advised it is more efficient to take a cab to the airport for four people.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,504)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We booked utilising the 'soft' opening offer of 3 days for the price of 2 to allow use of the room to accommodate our late flight departure from HK on the third day - with that in mind the Icon presented reasonable value for money in what is generally an expensive market.

First things first; Check-in didn't set a good mood, apparently our web booking had only been made for one person and therefore we were 'surcharged' for having a 2nd person in the room. Whilst technically correct I must admit I didn't notice that online and when booking a double room my expectation is that it will accommodate 2 persons and we were not using the third days's breakfast as we were checking out the night before ..the value was looking a lit less. On reaching the room the air-conditioning vent had fallen from the ceiling, the promised welcome letter wasn't there and the bags took ages to arrive....nothing that couldn't be fixed but 'niggles' which detract from the customer experience. Harbour view rooms are good with great city views. Non-alcoholic bar items are free and there is good coffee in an Nespresso machine. Bathrooms are excellent as are the toileteries.

The hotel location is a 15 minute walk from the MTR, and about 20 minutes from the Star Ferry - in humid Hong Kong this can be an issue though there are taxis and the Airport Express bus does connect to Kowloon station so options abound.

Hotel facilites are good. The garden wall is impressive and gives a great ambience. Gym has great views, reasonably equipped and the pool is excellent. Though during our trip was not accessible as they seem very sensitive about 'lightning risk' when the weather is stormy and they close the pool.

Breakfast on the top floor was included and is adequate, though some very simple mistakes again impact the experience e.g. one 4 slice toaster for a whole room?. Also on day 2 we were refused access as they were 'full' and re-directed to the main dining room on the 2nd floor. To be honest the breakfast food range there is better but this seemed to be a ploy to move people as the breakfast time neared an end (we arrived at the top floor at 9.45am when breakfast closed at 10am)

The evening buffet was great value with fantastic food - it get's very busy so book and get there early. Bar staff in the lobby were great and service very good.

In fact all the staff try very hard and are very welcoming which does make this hotel a pleasure.

Overall this is a great hotel but it has lots of competition eg new Hyatt Regency nearby and after their 'soft' opening it will be interesting to see if they retain their value.

Room Tip: Harbour View rooms add to the HK experience
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a brand new hotel which I have chosen to stay in after reading all the positive reviews. Although I had very high expectations from all the reviews, Hotel Icon still exceeded my expectations in every aspect, esp in terms of service.

Facilities wise, everything is ultra modern and very clean. Although the room was not considered big compared to other parts of the world, it was very spacious by HK standards. The room was very well equipped - from basic amenities to refreshing and high tech gadgets. The free mini bar was definitely a plus compared to many other 5 star hotels.

In terms of location, it is very conveniently located and about 10 to 15 mins walk to the TST MTR. Although I was travelling by taxi mostly, I did tried the free hotel shuttle which was very prompt and the driver was even nice enough to drop off some guests at specific location (nearby) other than the designated stops.

However, what actually struck out most about the hotel is the staff. They were all very young and energetic, giving a vibrant feel to the whole hotel. I was greeted with smiles everywhere I go in the hotel and everyone was very sincere in helping with everything that I needed. It definitely made me felt very much at home during the entire stay.

Hotel Icon is definitely one of the best stay I've had in any hotel and I will definitely choose to stay there again when i revisit HK. I highly recommend the hotel, regardless if you are traveling for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: Choose the club rooms which are on higher floors and comes with club access and free breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Booked this hotel based on reviews on tripadvisor and was happy every day of my 7 day stay. The hotel is new and everything is on par. Check in - check out was smooth, I recommend staying on the higher floors as there is a separate reception, complimentary internet and great view of the harbour. The location is great, service is exceptional - staff is always happy to assist. I even got a phonecall whilst in the room saying that my front door was not completely closed and asking if everything was alright. )
The pool is very good for an afternoons swim, the fitness room, sauna and SPA were great.
The hotel restaurant was also excellent, good choice of food and very good service.
I would definitely come back to this place again, I really hope the hotel keeps up the high standarts that it has set.
Oh almost forgot - the lobby has a live garden on the wall!!! With flowers grass and everything, its on the wall and it is live )))) Great work.
And last but not least - definitely go for the cupcakes in the lobby bar, they are exceprional!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Victoria harbour view rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Agulnik
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

My wife and I had the absolute pleasure of being guests at the Hotel Icon from July 14 through July 19. I have never written a Trip Advisor review before, but I felt I needed to share my experience. First, we were greeted at the door by Edith, who took us to our room, checked us in, and explained all the amenities of the facility. She was extremely professional and knowledgeable. We stayed in a Above and Beyond Club room on the 25th floor. We had sweeping views of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. The room was quite large considering the the fact we were in a huge city. The bathroom provided plenty of space, especially the shower, which had a rain shower feature. The mini bar is complimentary and refilled each day.
Once we were settled, our doorbell rang. A bottle of wine was delivered and a card signed by the staff wishing us a Happy Anniversary. We were celebrating our 7th. We decided to make reservations for dinner. We went to the concierge desk and spoke to Cody, who made the reservation. When we arrived at the restaurant, our first round of drinks were paid by the Hotel. I though that was a very nice gesture. We frequented the concierge desk often for recommendations and travel plans. A young lady who was extremely helpful was Kit. She helped organize and plan our way around the city.
Overall the Hotel Icon is a beautiful and modern hotel, but the service is the real reason why I am writing this review. If you are someone who enjoys impeccable service, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the Above and Beyond club level. The club level offers many worthwhile amenities.
6 Thank Hevsta
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have booked two club rooms at the hotel. It was great time and my family really enjoy the view from suit room. The staffs are young and energetic. The room is spacious with all needed hi tech equipments. I was impressed that mini bar and telephone cost within HK is free.

Anyway there are small things that I feel it would be great if the hotels provide the manual for all euipments in room for example I didn't know hot to dial to other room and within HK or how to use TV since it is connected through media box especially club room. I have spent half day to know how to use bluray, and TV system, .

Regarding to above and beyond club priorities on 28th floor, I think staffs should explain the guest all priorities they offer when they check-in since some priorities are dififent from what they are posted on website. Many times I have to call them asking about my concerns on feattures.

Also, when I checked in at 15.00, one of the room is not ready yet. I have tried to print out some document from the all-in-one printer within the room, but I can't. Finally When I checked out, I asked staff why I couldn't print out. They said it is not working and I could print documents at their desk. My question is why they didn't explain this when I first check-in.

Anyway the hotel is great and I am impressed with the breakfast offering various of fresh food. The panorama view from gym is fantastic.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank zamijang
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I was pleased with the service of this hotel from the moment I got there. I save my money and love to stay at great hotels, Hotel Icon is the the best one yet! This was my first trip to Hong Kong and the hotel staff was very helpful with maps, tips, and guides. Every question I asked was met with kindness and top quality answers. This is how celebrities must be treated, I felt VIP the whole time!

The room was immaculate, the decor relaxing, clean, modern, zen. I was actually sad to check out and go home, I loved the hotel, my home away from home. I really enjoyed Hong Kong as well, and will plan another vacation there, and I would only consider staying here!

The location is 2 minutes from the subway ( we took it every where), 2 USD cab fare from most things you want to see, and a 5 minute walk to great shopping, and really great variety of restaurants. The food at the hotel was delicious and plenty.

I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, and I was so impressed with Hotel Icon, I encourage you to give it a try without hesitation!

5 Thank shoppingfrog