“Hotel is VERY good especially for the price of the "soft opening"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #4 of 713 Hotels in Hong Kong
Moscow, Russia
“Hotel is VERY good especially for the price of the "soft opening"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

I decided to stay at "Icon" after reading many positive reviews here. The only doubt was that its location is rather far from Nathan Road and central Tsim Sha Tsui. Though the hotel has its shuttle bus running almost every 30 min to central TST. And also I must say that Nathan Road is easily accessed by foot within 15-20 min walk. Taxis in HK are quite cheap and there are plenty of them around the hotel.
As almost everyone says here, this hotel is ULTRA modern with almost all amenities the guest may require.
We stayed in CLUB room on 23rd floor with Harbour view. Club room is the same size as the ordinary one, but has some privileges: evening cocktails at Above & Beyond lounge, free minibar (though with rather small choice), Nespresso coffee-machine inside the room.
Also I should say that Club Rooms are from 23rd to 27th floor, while ordinary ones ("Icon rooms") are below 23rd floor.
Rooms are not that big as I thought after reading reviews here, but of normal size for Hong Kong. Living space is not big, but bathroom is spacious, and there's even TV over bathtub if someone likes it.
Evening cocktails were very good option, though the quality of cocktails differed from day to day.
Breakfast on the 2nd floor was EXCELLENT with very big choice of meals.
Breakfast on the 28th floor has less choices, but has the view on the harbour. :)
Hotel staff is very attentive to guest's requests, and this is good.
Visit the swimming pool at least once (open to ALL hotel guests). It is on the open terrace on the 9th floor and has fantastic views, especially at night!
There are still some construction works within the hotel which may bother someone whos's living nearby. Also I should mention that you may wait for the lift (evevator) for a very long time, especially at breakfast time on the weekend.
Overall I think that this hotel is a very good choice if you don't have to visit HK island every day.

Room Tip: Book a Club room if possible. It is worth extra money!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

I stayed here for 4 days for a stopover on my way home from a European trip. I booked a club room for the extra perks, and while it was quite expensive - the whole stay was chock full of value and a super place to wind down after constant travel. The minibar was free (no alcohol, though!), and a Nespresso machine was provided for decent coffee, the room was spacious and comfortable with tremendous views over the harbour, the bathroom was lovely with a separate bath and an insanely big shower, and a toiletries bag with heaps of extras on top of the usuals.
Breakfast was included and was served on the top floor (menu and small buffet), so you can watch boats on the harbour while eating. A free afternoon tea was supplied there too, but I was too busy sightseeing to try it, and free cocktails and canapes were served from 6pm - 8pm which I definitely did get to try! Room service was quick and the food was really good, but I'd recommend just eating out in Hong Kong for great cheap tasty food. I was impressed that the night doorman didn't bat an eyelid when I stumbled through the doors at 4am, a bit the worse for wear.
Everything is brand spanking new and very clean, and the pool is just big enough to do laps in - which I loved - but wished it was a little bit bigger.
My one criticism was the staff could be a little bit overly attentive, but I would put that down to them being young and eager to please. Understandable when you realise the staff are part of a hospitality college providing on the job training.
Overall, if I had enough spare cash, I would stay here again. The architecture in the lobby alone is worth it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a club room for the extras.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I am not even checked out yet frm d hotel. Yet I feel so compelled to write this review. I've stayed in so many hotels, and icon hotel easily on the top of my list.
Checked in was a breeze, no hassle, done within 5 minutes
Room : clean, minimalist, great amenities, fre minibar, and chocolate . Comfy bed and pillows
Bathroom: great pressure on the shower, nicely designed.
Staffs were friendly, helpful and enthusiastic.
Swimming pool and d gym: amazing few, pool were a but small, but get d exercise done
I have nothing negative to say about d hotel. Oh well one little thing a bit far frm d MTr. At least it gives me my daily exercise.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We have used a special offer during the soft opening. First I have to say, that the value for money is really good. We have booked the club room, but were upgraded for suite. Harbor view suite is very modern with a great design and view. Breakfast is excellent as well as dinner at the restaurant on the 28th floor. Pool is good with a nice view.
But there are some things that should be noticed:

Contras:
Hotel is pretty far away from the MTR station. It means for you that you have either to work or take a taxi. Working 15-20 minutes in Hong Kong summer time is everything else but pleasant. It is hot and humid, so after 5 minutes you fill like you have used the sauna. Taxi is also pretty a troublesome option, since hotel is new one and not every taxi driver knows how to find it. So if you choose a taxi you would better take a local map with a hotel on it, to show the driver the right location.

Cleaning could be better. Actually they have not cleaned the floor at all.

We have booked the club floor, so we have used the lounge. The quality of food is good, but choice is limited. If you have stayed at Langham Place the difference will be not in favor of Icon.

Despite all this, the value that hotel offers for this money is great. I am pretty often in HK and have seen a lot of hotels. This is one of the few valuable. The question is what they will do after the soft opening. But now I advise this hotel to anyone. You will not regret.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael P
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Fantastic hotel, great in-house amenities and service, very helpful staff, good location. Top class views from rooms, amazing bathroom decor. Free non-alcoholic minibar. Hard to fault this in any meaningful way.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Just got back from a few nights stopover in Hong along, staying at Hotel Icon. I booked it after reading the great review on here, making use of the soft opening 'buy 2 nights get one free' offer to book myself a club 36 harbor view room. The hotel lived up to all the reviews and I would recommend it to anyone.

It's the little touches that make the difference - the personal check-in on the club level was nice, but being shown the room amenities was great, especially when the member of staff showed me they had already provided me with an Australian adaptor, which came in very handy.

The free mini-bar (soft drinks) was superb and always replenished every day, along with M&Ms and coffee pods. In fact, one evening I had a pack of M&Ms before going out and when I returned they had been restocked - this is because housekeeping had been back in to fill up my ice bucket for me. Like I said, it's the little touches that really do go above and beyond and that are remembered.

The free breakfast allowed me to eat in either the club lounge or in the buffet restaurant on level 2. The first morning I used the club lounge and the service was excellent, but I had to choose from a limited hot food menu - I'm not an egg fan, so there wasn't much choice for me. There is a semi-buffet in the lounge for cold food as well. The next two mornings I used the buffet restaurant, which was also great. A good variety of food (western and Asian), both hot and cold and the staff were very attentive - I even got a 'welcome back' from one staff member on my 2nd day eating there.

The club lounge provides cocktails between 6 & 8pm every night, though I didn't have time to make use of it so can't comment. It also provides afternoon tea and I had this on my last day (you can use the club lounge after checkout while waiting to go to the airport). Although there was no much provided, it was lovely and again staff were attentive in replenishing drinks (free soft drinks all the time in the lounge).

Every time I walked through the lobby the staff would say hello, wish me a good day or night, etc. and they were a joy to chat to. I know a lot of the staff are students at the polytechnic, but they were more professional than the staff in some top class hotels I have visited.

All in all, it's a fabulous hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. This will be my number one choice for any future Hong Kong visits and the club level is worth it (free minibar and wifi are provided in all rooms, but the lounge, $100 per day laundry allowance and other 'perks' plus the view make it a must for me).

Room Tip: Club level is worth the extra expense
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

A truly wonderful service and stay at the hotel during August, including a fantastic tour of the 28th floor followed by dinner and drinks in the Above & Beyond lounge.

The staff were extremely polite, efficient, attentive towards us throughout and overall, a very noticeable improvement on the efficiency of the hotel compared to our stay in June. The rooms allocated to us were identical to last time and were enjoyed to the highest level offering us maximum comfort in line with our busy daily schedules.

We would also like to put forward a special thank you to Van Poon Ching Wan, Benny Chan, Nick Tam and Raymond Hou, whom we dealt with on a daily basis in the evenings, receiving nothing but the best care and attention possible.

We hope to return towards the end of October and look forward to another great stay.

A very “BIG” thank you to all staff for a truly wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business