“high level at every level”
Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #5 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at the Icon in January 2012. It was excellent in every single way. The design of the hotel is absolutely stunning. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and they are so well equipped: DVD player, printer, all kind of different plugs for computers, beautiful bathroom, very comfy beds, perfect roomservice, Bose ipod docking station, ..... Anything that makes you feel like home!
The Above and Beyond club is also very charming.
I'm sure my next stay in Hong Kong will be at the Icon again !

1  Thank annoukhasselt

Reviewed 17 January 2012

This is a stylish hotel & loved the sweeping staircase but what I liked most is the service! The staff are all very attentive & YES, you're not seeing double the minibar is FREE! :)
Special thanks to Karen Ng @ GREEN. Our morning was always pleasant because of you! Maybe next time, GREEN will have more choices (of food) for breakfast. All we had every morning are croissants, not that it's not yummy :).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel ICON for 5 nights in November and we absolutely loved it. The rooms are plush, comfortable, modern and beautifully appointed - the bathtub was do deep and luxurious, I didn't ever want to get out!

The young staff (who are recent graduates of the Hong Kong Polytechnic hospitality program) are earnest, pleasant and eager to help.

Location wise, it's a bit out of the way but the free shuttle bus and proximity to the MTR made it a great base for exploring Hong Kong.

We hope to stay at Hotel ICON again and again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Keshira haLev F
Reviewed 14 January 2012

First, let me tell you this hotel is stunning. New, modern, absolutely beautiful. From the large, open and modern atrium/lobby to the vertical garden to the sweeping staircase. All beautiful… And that's where it ends.

I checked in at 12:30am and there was only 1 person at the front desk helping guests. There were 2 other parties in front of me so it took about 20 minutes before I was helped.

I booked a more expensive Icon 38 Harbour View room and even though the room was stunning it did not have a nice view of the harbour we all know (if you put your face against the window you can barely see the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, nothing to the right of the Convention and Exhibition Centre). The problem is that the Icon 38 Harbour View rooms are on the side of the building between the regular rooms and the harbour view rooms. The regular harbour view rooms should have a full/direct view of the nice part of the harbor (Bank of China building, IFC). It was too late and I was too tired to complain so I left it as is.

As I mentioned my room was beautiful. The Icon 38 Harbour View rooms have a nicer setup than the Icon 36 rooms. The bed directly faces floor to ceiling glass windows which looks out at the harbour. Behind the bed is an open and very spacious bathroom. The bathroom contains a soaking tub as well as a very large rain shower.

The next morning I had a buffet at the Market (a restaurant in the hotel) which was extensive and very nice although a little pricey for what you get (almost Las Vegas pricey but with a lot less food/variety). The restaurant looks great however.

After breakfast I wanted to buy a specific SIM card so I asked the concierge about the nearest location of the SIM card operator. He told me to just go to a 711 and buy a SIM card there. I asked him again and he refused to point me to the location instead directing me to a 711 store which he said was just outside and to the right of the hotel. Of course the 711 was not really right outside of the hotel and when I finally found the 711 they had a more expensive SIM card.

Check out at noon was a complete opposite of check in, very quick and smooth.

The hotel rates have also skyrocketed since I stayed at the Icon and as a result are not a bargain anymore.

Stayed at the Icon mid November for 1 night.

Room Tip: Do not book a Icon 38 Harbour View room if you want to have a complete/direct view of Victoria Harbo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank GXS
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Check-in
A spacious lobby with 70-foot ceiling, a unique wall garden, and a winding staircase to the floor above greet the arriving guest. The check-in process is quick. You have to get used to signing electronically.

Room
The room size is reasonable and is comparable to similar high-end hotels in that area. It has all the expected amenities and then some – free wireless Internet and mini-bar. The mini-bar is modest: mineral water, soft drinks, and assorted snacks. The room design is thoughtful, from a desk flip-up panel that has all the plugs, a cordless phone that can be used throughout the hotel property, to a toilet seat that won’t slam, HDTV with beautiful pictures, and light switches that make sense.

Dining
I have tried two restaurants in this hotel: the 28th floor “Above and Beyond” and 2nd floor “Market”. The view from “Above and Beyond” is fantastic. If you happen to have dinner around 8 p.m., you will have a front row seat to the laser light show. Food is exquisite, and service is superlative for both.

Exercise
The hotel has a well-equipped gym and pool overlooking the Victoria Harbor. The view is absolutely stunning. Bring your exercise or swimming gear! Otherwise, just bring your favorite drink, sit by the pool, and enjoy the view!

Neighborhood
The hotel is about 10 minutes from the nearest MTR station and about 20-25 minutes from the Star Ferry. The hotel has a shuttle service to the Star Ferry every 20 minutes. It is next to the busy and vibrant Tsim Sha Tsu area, with lots of restaurants, small parks, and shops nearby. Nathan Road, one of the most exciting roads in Hong Kong, is about 10 minutes away.

This hotel has my thumbs up, way up, in every aspect. Highly recommended.

3  Thank AviatorYW
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed at the Icon for 5 nights during the Toy Fair. Wifi is free, as are local calls and the minibar, very convenient. the view from the room is good, and the view from the Gym while you're on the treadmill is spectacular. The hotel is brand new and as such the rooms and facilities are nice, but it was designed very poorly. When you leave the room, all electricity in your room is shut off automatically. So the hotel is in effect telling you you're not allowed to charge any device if you don't sit there and watch it charge. VERY big problem for me. The rooms have no wired internet access, only wifi. So i could not use my older laptop to do work. The shower is not enclosed, so when you're taking a shower its very cold in there and you just want to get out of the shower as soon as you can. Every time you want to watch TV, you have to turn it on and negotiate through a 5-minute series of menus just to get to the television.

6  Thank U2NyR
HotelICON, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. Other travelers value your opinions to help them make decisions and they are highly valued by myself so that I can do whatever possible to make improvements for our guests. I apologize that the stay did not exceed your expectations because of the lack of information provided by the team upon checking in regarding the INCOM power supply and complimentary wired and wifi features of your room.

We continue to inspect our guest rooms thoroughly and train our staff to explain the features of the room on a daily basis, however we understand you checked in at the front desk and declined a room escort where all the features would have been explained.

For the benefit of yourself and other guests reading your review I’d like to clarify a few facts:

1) The INCOM system ONLY turns off the lights, TV and Air-conditioning system when you leave the room, none of the hard wired sockets are affected so your laptop or mobile device, or phone will charge constantly.
2) It is my pleasure to inform you and fellow travelers we offer both complimentary high speed wireless and hard wired cords are available on request for all of our guest rooms and throughout the hotel, so we hope you will come back and bring your older model Laptop. A tent card in your room explains this however I have arranged to provide a more detailed in room technology card that better explains the unique features of the room including how to navigate the TV,
3) I sincerely apologize that the shower room did not meet your expectations. All of our ICON 36 guest room shower cubicles have a heavy duty mat outside the shower to make sure water spray is absorbed, yours might not have been adjusted properly. I will look into this issue and get it resolved.
4) All hotel guest rooms have a thermostat control that can adjust the room temperature if you were a bit chilly on exiting the shower.

Thank you for your feedback and for the opportunity to respond to your valued comments. We encourage you to come back and enjoy our brand new hotel a second time. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Richard Hatter

Reviewed 13 January 2012

The hotel is quite new and the design is just gorgeous. Every detail is well thought and very tasteful. Some features we loved especially: the pool with harbour view, the vertical garden at the lobby, the view in the room (harbour view room), the circular bathroom. The top floor Above&beyond restaurant and lounge is very romantic. The settings are just perfect. The staff were very attentive and helpful at any time. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are definitely worth to pay for. Wake up with the gorgeous view!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends