“Sneaky elevators”

Ranked #5 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Danielsville, Georgia
“Sneaky elevators”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times over the last year and I love it. Great service, decent location, good prices. I booked a suite the first time and it was spectacular. This time I booked a normal room but I was upgraded to a small suite for the same price.

The staff is always eager to help, the mini bar is free, yes I said free! And they will stock it with whatever you ask for.

Location is nice, close to shopping and restaurants, everything is within walking distance.

Go ahead a spend the extra few dollars for the harbor view it is worth it. And take the time to go to breakfast on the second floor, one of my favotites.

The only thing I could find wrong was the elevators had hardly no chime when they arrived on the floor so if you are talking or have background noise like the lobby you had to pay attention. And they always seem to stop on the ninth floor even with no one there.

Room Tip: Harbor view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Reaganspopy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,503)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just returned fron 5 day trip to Hong Kong and would strongly urge anyone doing the same to consider staying at this superb hotel. There are no negatives. Rooms and bathrooms are excellent especially rooms with a harbour view - very definitely worth the upgrade. The gym and outdoor pool on the 9th floor are exceptional and once again the views are stunning. Above and Beyond, the restaurant on the top floor has a well deserved Michelin fork and spoon award - delicious Chinese food and the prices aren't silly either. Nick Tam makes one of the best cappuccinos ever. Hotel Icon is only a stones throw from huge numbers of shops and yet more superb restaurants - we tried Spring Deer, Nan Hai No 1, Sabatini and were not disappointed. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade to harbour view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I recently had the pleasure of spending 5 nights at Hotel Icon.

Our plane arrived early Monday evening during the recent Typhoon Vincente, luckily we had booked the Hotel car to collect us from the airport as category 8 means taxis are not insured and buses/trains were out. Our car driver picked his way through the debris and very wet roads to deliver us safely to the haven that is Hotel Icon.

The fantastic Hotel staff rushed out to greet us and escort us safely inside and collected our bags. Once inside Raymond took control explaining the seriousness of the situation without alarming us. He then escorted us to our room on the 26th floor (Club 36), explained all we needed to know and left us feeling welcome and relaxed while outside the tempest grew.

The room had the most amazing view across the harbour to the spectacular lights of HK island. It was spacious, clean, modern, with the most comfortable beds, crisp linen, fluffy towels and up-to-date amenities. Deep bathtub, groovy shower with rain or handheld shower heads. Free mini bar with chocs and soft drinks (no alcohol - didn't matter as Club room has free cocktails for 2 hrs each night in the sumptuous Above & Below Lounge). We found the room very quiet, no neighbor noise at all, air con was quiet and very little to worry us during 150km/hr winds!

As we were advised to remain inside for at least the next 12hrs we headed for the 28th floor to Above & Beyond Lounge. Typhoon had now reached Cat10 and it was clear we were in the best place to watch it happen around us.

We hadn't made a booking at the restaurant however the staff did their best to arrange a table, following, cocktails in the lounge. We enjoyed the crispy skin duck and chilli prawns - delicious.

As morning broke it was evident by the lack of traffic on the roads the typhoon while abating was still posing a threat and it wasn't safe to emerge so we booked into the Angsana Spa - possibly the best massage I've ever had.

As mentioned in previous posts the hotel is run by the Polytechnic University. The staff are young, energetic, friendly interns and post-grads who cannot do enough for their guests, always smiling and making you feel at home. So refreshing from the stuffy establishments who trade on their names only.

During our stay we were asked to complete a couple of research surveys for the students and researchers from the Uni. We were happy to participate, even reviewing a 'concept' room the hotel was trialling with new products/amenities to make guests stay even more comfortable.

We visited the Marketplace Restaurant for breakfast each morning and also for their buffet dinner. While breakfast was included in our room rate we found the buffet dinner expensive and were disappointed the staff were packing up and clearing away half an hour before close. It makes guests who do eat late feel a little harried. We didn't eat at Green but it looked great.

We had a busy time in HK and at the end of each day were glad to return to our room - our haven from the vibrant yet busy streets.

Throughout our stay the staff always asked us if we required assistance in planning our day, gave us some great tips - really doing their best to make us feel so special :)

The comments regarding location initially worried us when looking for a hotel, however with the hotel shuttle leaving every 20 mins, dropping off behind The Peninsula Hotel or at Harbour City, taxis at the doorstep and really a very easy 10min walk down Granville Rd with some great shops to Nathan Rd we found the location not an issue at all. We even headed to the Temple St night markets, caught a taxi there for $HK25 and easily walked back to hotel after midnight without any issues.

Hotel Icon is a great concept in a great location and we will certainly be back - very soon.

Room Tip: With breakfast, morning and afternoon tea and evening cocktails included in the rate I'd certain...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelTails17
bishkek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

Delightful, pleasant, nearly perfect, and the location is not an issue like others have complained. Breakfast is good but some of the warm prepared food is tasteless. Otherwise this has been my best hotel experience.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank nanooki
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

I guess that anyone who reads any of my reviews must just think that i get lucky with my choices of hotels as i am about to add another rave review for the Icon Hotel that cannot be beaten. This is an interesting project run by the university for students studying hotel and business management so with that in mind the hotel is staffed by interns and a mix of employed people straight out of uni. Because the staff are being monitored on the their performance the standards are impeccable and if you can get past the fact that you will be asked to fill in surveys and questionnares regularly then you will reap the benefits of full 5* treatment. The rooms are amazing and every amenity is well thought out. I took a 26th floor club suite with harbour view and wow what a view. The dining expererience is top quality and the market buffet rivals anything in Las Vegas. The Icon is a must for business and tourists alike and set in down town Kowloon everything that you want is on the doorstep. This was my first visit to Hong Kong and i fell in love with the place and definitely with the hotel. A special mention to all the young staff and especially Lauren whome nothing was too much trouble and helped me out on numerous occasions. A truly wonderful stay at the Icon.

Room Tip: Harbour view suites
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank markhusted
Scharendijke, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in June, based upon the high ratings from the Tripadvisor website. I travelled from mainland China by train from Guangzhou to the Hung Hom station, but even when the hotel was opposite of the street I found it hard to reach it by foot. The signs where not clear and I had to walk in the pouring rain to the hotel.

At the reception they told me that I was early and got a room on the 7th floor, I asked them if they could give me a better room but unfortunately I had to wait 3 hours before housekeeping would have finished to clean the higher rooms. Since I was wet because of the walk to the hotel I still decided to wait in their Timeless room. Even though I asked for a high level room at my reservation, I found it unfortunate that there was no room available at check-in.

The timeless room was nice, with television and nice coffee and I got a chance to take a shower. Once waited 3 hours I went back to the reception and got the room I wanted in the first place.

The room was very nice, with great view. And although the minibar items where free, I found the minibar not very well equipped. What I liked about the room was the view overlooking the skyline of HK and the bathroom with separate bath and shower.

One the first evening I want to go for dinner in their restaurants, but found out that it was very crowded so decided to go outside.

There was one department which I think had the best service and that was the concierge. The very nice gentlemen behind the desk gave me great suggestions to visit and to shop for suits.

All by all a good stay, but when you do not like a crowded hotel I suggest you to go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Rlouwerse
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Pros: Good sized room, clean & comfortable room with sleek & modern design, free shuttle to Harbour City, plenty of small shops/ restaurants nearby. For the club floor: choice of breakfast at above & beyond restaurant (amazing view) or the regular buffet area (which is also good), complimentary daily afternoon tea and free flow wine and cocktail in the evening. Great value for money!

Cons: A bit off the main area (about 15 mins walk to Tsim Tsa Tsui station)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family