“Amazingly good service at the Icon in Hong Kong”
Review of Hotel ICON

Hotel ICON
Ranked #5 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Toronto, Canada
“Amazingly good service at the Icon in Hong Kong”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I cannot overstate the excellence of the service at the Icon. Tim Chan, Assistant Guest Services Manager went way above and beyond to assist recently when, after arriving in Hong Kong late at night from Canada< I thought I had forgotten to bring my medication - he was prepared to actually accompany me to the local hospital so I could get a prescription and have it filled in spite of the lateness of the hour. The in room check in feature was lovely as well for weary travelers. The hotel is top notch in every respect. I would stay there again in a heart beat - we had a room overlooking the harbor and the view was breathtaking! Thank you, Hotel Icon

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the harbor on a high floor - more expensive but really worth it!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexis s
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear alexis s,
Thank you for your wonderful review and for saying such nice things about Tim, our Assistant Guest Services Manager. We do hope that you will return, we look forward to your next visit. With all good wishes,
general.manager@hotel-icon.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,581)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had the 36sq meter room with harbor view and access to the executive lounge, totally flawless! The service is great, very good attention to detail, and the rooms are very comfortable. They serve Mumm Cordon Rouge at Happy Hour, that was a nice touch; other hotels typically now use sparkling wine instead of Champagne. Breakfast in the executive lounge is great as well, has good continental choices and a number of cook to order dishes.
We will return when in Hong Kong and visit other Icon hotels worldwide.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear snemrava,
Thanks for your post. It was great to read that you found our little touches delightful and had a wonderful stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back to stay with us in the future, do drop me a note if you need any help with a room in HK.
Johannesburg,South Africa
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Hotel Icon is everything it promises and more. We stayed 3 nights in November 2013. Fantastic view of the harbour. Excellent service. Good access to transport, Walking distance to Avenue of Stars, many shops and restaurants. Regular shuttle to Ferry Pier. And and and. In addition - the facilities available even after check-out. We checked out in the morning but our flight was only after midnight. We had full access to all the Spa facilities as well as resting space and refreshments until eleven at night.

I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough.

Best things to do in a short time - Big Bus, The Peak and Stanley

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra for a harbour view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Justagirl2812
Dear girl2812,
Thank you very much for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you very soon.
Please email me directly next time and I will make sure you get a great room at a special rate.
Kind regards,
Exmoor National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

A lovely Hotel located in Kowloon, near the waterfront. Fantastic bedrooms and a lovely Market Place buffet style restaurant. Very much a training hotel for the hotel school. Very willing service and a good location. Ferry to Hong Kong Island nearby, as is the mega Harbour Shopping Mall. Lovely outdoor pool and a gym with a view!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear bardswalk,
Thanks for reviewing ICON.
Much appreciated, do keep in touch and let me know when you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.
With best wishes,
Brisbane
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Their are countless reviews about how amazing this hotel is. I'm willing to go further and explain why my husband and I think Hotel Icon is our No. 1 favourite hotel, worldwide. Big statement, I know, but it's true.

1. EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR MONEY

Hong Kong is an expensive place to stay. Sure, there are some mid range places and cheapies out there, but you get what you pay for, and if you want some luxury and a good location in this highly populated city, you generally pay through the nose for it. We've stayed at the other big name 5 star hotels in HK (and around the globe) but I prefer Hotel Icon over them any day. Why? You get 5 star luxury for a reasonable price. Hotel Icon is not ostentatious, so if you are looking for rooms dripping in gilt, velvet and faux antique furniture, best look elsewhere. This hotel has a contemporary understated elegance with impeccable attention to detail. It's new, it's fresh and it does things differently. We like it a lot.

2. EXCEPTIONAL STAFF

This is a training hotel, but don't let that scare you away. In truth, it's a bonus. The staff are here because they want to be here, and are studying hard for formal qualifications and a successful career in hospitality. I'm sure they strive everyday to be the best they can possibly be. Their happiness is your happiness. They genuinely want to make sure you have a great stay. Sure, there may be the occasional blip on the radar, but these exist in every hotel. Overall, Icon's staff and management are star performers who go out of their way to provide service with a smile. A Gold Star goes to staff in the Above and Beyond Club, who truly live up to their namesake.

3. EXCEPTIONAL FITOUT, FACILITIES AND VIEWS

We booked a harbour view room on a high floor with Club privileges. It cost a bit more, but as it included breakfast in the morning plus cocktails and canapés in the evening at Above and Beyond, this more than compensated for the higher rate. We loved the room design, the comfortable bed, the free mini bar (yes, free), the gorgeous bathroom and all the little touches that set this hotel apart from others. The swimming pool was huge and barely used, and the gym was also of world-class standard. I'd like to make special mention here of the spectacular views of HK island across the harbour, from our room, the pool deck and the Club lounge. Wow, wow and WOW! We used to live on HK island and I always though the views from there looking over Kowloon were great. But it is actually more spectacular from this angle. Pay a little more and get the room with a view. It is worth every cent.

I'd also like to give top marks for the stunning foyer (yes, it really does smell as good as it looks), Green restaurant and the general cleanliness of the hotel's public spaces. Bravo.

4. EXCEPTIONAL HONG KONG LOCATION

There a quite a few Tripadvisor reviews that mark down the location of this hotel, because it is not right in the centre of the shopping/dining precinct. I beg to differ. Hotel Icon is located very close to the action of TST and surrounds, and we actually found this slight distance to be of benefit. HK streets are often highly congested with traffic and a multitude of pedestrians. So busy at times that it can be quite overwhelming. We loved that you could step outside of Hotel Icon and still feel relaxed, as the surrounding area is not overly contested. I would almost describe it as 'peaceful'! We enjoyed the short walk to all the local hot spots, or you can easily catch the hotel shuttle if you don't feel like exploring on foot. MTR stations are close by and are a fast and efficient way of travelling further afield in Kowloon or over to HK Island. Or, HK taxis are as cheap as chips and will get you where you want to go quickly and efficiently.

So, there you go, we LOVE Hotel Icon. I've recommended it to friends and family and we don't hesitate to recommend it to you too. Forget the other overpriced HK 5 star hotel giants a miss and try Hotel Icon next time you are in Hong Kong.

We are planning a trip there later this year, and we hope to bring friends along for the experience. I can't wait to come back to Hotel Icon!

Room Tip: Go for a harbour view room with a high floor and Above and Beyond Club privileges.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mumneedsaholiday
Dear Mumneedsaholiday,
You cannot imagine how much your comments mean to us. It is so encouraging to read when our guests have a memorable experience but we will not sit still - we will constantly try to improve upon what we do.
We hope to see you and your husband again at the hotel soon and do let me know if I can help with future stays.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We loved our stay at Hotel Icon. The room was large by HK standards, the finishes were nice, the bed was comfortable, the view was spectacular. The bathroom in the room and the products were really very nice and overall the stay was more than we expected - very nice. We really enjoyed the pool and gym with the view out to Victoria harbour. The breakfast buffet was really one of the best I have ever had. There is a lot of staff so you are well taken care of. The lobby is airy and beautiful, including the wonderful indoor green wall.

Our room was not cheap (New Years holiday time period) but relative to other hotels with a similar sized room in Hong Kong the Icon is an incredible value. You are dropped off easily from the Airport Express courtesy bus. You can easily walk to adjacent Hung Hom MTR and train station, or walk to TST or take the free hotel shuttle into TST with stops by the Peninsula as well as the Star Ferry. Hotel staff was also very helpful in securing taxis and explaining where we wanted to go (while HK is very bilingual many taxi drivers are not).

Only minor areas for improvement:

We were in a non-smoking room but there were smoking rooms on the same floor so you could smell smoke in the hallway from the elevator to your room. Most hotels segregate floors as all smoking or all not. To be fair, I was told at check-in to let them know if it bothered me but I didn't call and move over a minor annoyance.

Service - I would first say service was excellent for Hong Kong and much better than we experienced at other establishments. Your initial service from a waiter, bartender, etc. is always great at the Icon. After that if you want a follow-up drink or additional item be prepared to wave your hands or speak up because staff does not follow-up or check on you, we found this to be true both at the pool bar, breakfast buffet and lobby bar. That said, this is the norm in Asia - there are a lot of Western guests at the hotel so one way they could respond to those needs is the Western practice of checking-in and following-up with a patron and asking if they want more to drink or eat. Like everywhere in Asia, cocktails and other drinks take much longer to prepare than you make be used to in Europe or the states.

Overall - we loved our stay and will stay here again

Room Tip: Even city view rooms have a view of the harbor from certain angles
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear christopherkoontz,
The team and I are very sad to read that your service experience was not as you quite rightly expected it to be. I am sorry for the disappointment you were caused and that your stay was not as perfect as I would have wished it to be. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon and please know that I am always available at general.manager@hotel-icon.com.
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 17 January 2014

What an amazing experience! The level of service here is beyond amazing. Staff remember little details and are able to anticipate your needs. Everything that is done is done with a smile. The hotel itself was beautiful, i especially liked the design of the bathroom. The fact that items in the minibar were all complementary was also a nice touch. I ate at the Market during breakfast and the spread was great - many types of noodles, dim sum, western, japanese choices etc. Checkout was smooth. Despite there being a queue, i never waited more than a few minutes for my queries to be attended to. The hotel also runs shuttle services to Tsim Tsa Tsui station and is also the drop off and pick up point for the airport shuttle that comes from / goes to Kowloon station.

Room Tip: Pick the harbour view room. The view at night is stunning.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear lakecomo28,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful impression of your stay at ICON.
The team and I thank you so much for your compliments and we send our best wishes.
Please don't hesitate to contact me directly for future booking.