“An ICON indeed”

Ranked #5 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“An ICON indeed”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I'd first read about Hotel Icon about a year or so ago, so I was looking forward to giving it a try and I must say, I was not disappointed at all. Although Hotel Icon isn't located in the most convenient of places, it is still not far from the main Tsim Sha Tsui stretch and the hotel does provide a shuttle service every 30mins. Even if you wanted to walk, it wouldn't be too far.

Upon arrival, I was ushered to the check-in desk, where despite some initial confusion between the Front Office staff, the usual procedures were dispensed with rather quickly. I was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a Club Room on the second highest floor of the building, and even though it didn't come with the usual Club benefits, I was most grateful regardless. I had picked an Icon 36 Harbour and the view was excellent. I suppose being upgraded to the higher floor Club Room did help but if all their Harbour Room boasted a similar view, then it was worth it.

The room itself is very modern in design, although the long entrance corridor seemed a little unnecessary. Though not very big, they did utilize the space rather well, creating a rather cozy feeling. A complimentary mini-bar was very much welcomed, not a feature found in most hotels. Easy to use smart TV and printer in the room was an added bonus, as was the Blu-Ray player. The bed was rather comfortable and came with a decent pillow menu.

The bathroom was interesting in it's design. I'm not a big fan of faucets that have weird angles and are so low to the sink, and this was no exception. Although the bathtub isn't very long, it made up for that by being a deeper sunk in tub. The tv in-built into the small bathtub mirror was an interesting feature. As for the shower area, I would've preferred a door, as the water did have a tendency to splutter out a little, but that was a minor issue.

The hotel grounds are well designed and had more of a boutique feel than traditional 5-star hotel. The pool area was rather nice and the gym looked out to the harbor, a nice feature. The hotel's Angsana Spa is a sister brand of the renowned Banyan Tree, and it must have been decent as each time I walked by, it seemed to have guests walking in and out.

As my room package included a buffet breakfast at The Market, I was keen to try it out. The selection was pretty good, nothing particularly special but on the whole, well prepared. I did find it odd that the staff would come with the bill within about 5-10mins of sitting down, particularly since I had already given my room number and they should have been able to see if the breakfast was complimentary or not. This was a minor issue though, as I just had to initial on it.

I must praise the service of the restaurant manager on my first morning though. I wish I had remembered to take his name. Having had a bit of a cough, I requested from him if it was possible to get some juice at room temperature. He explained that all their juices were kept cold for freshness but that he would try to have a cup placed in some hot water, so as to reduce the coldness of the juice. About 10mins later he returned and although the juice was still a little cold, it had indeed been made easier to drink. Just a few minutes later, I accidentally got some honey on my hands, so I asked a server for a wet tissue, and out of nowhere, he popped up and whipped out two little packets from his pocket! If that was not attentive service, I don't know what is. I've had the good fortune of dining at several fine dining establishments and even at some of those places, I had never experienced such good service. I was so grateful that at the end of my meal, I sought him out to express my gratitude. Pity he wasn't present on my second morning of breakfast.

Overall I had a pleasant experience at Hotel Icon and it is to my understanding that the hotel acts as both a for-profit establishment as well as a training ground for students of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. If this is a student run hotel, then I can think of a number of other 5-star establishments who should send their staff here, perhaps they might learn a thing or two. I'd say there's a very good chance I'll be back to Hotel Icon on my next trip back to HK.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Daryllee84
Richard_Hatter, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Daryllee84,
We love doing what we do and are so incredibly happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope to be able to look after you again in the not too distant future.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me to make a booking.
general.manager@hotel-icon.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,583)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

My favorite hotel in HK and a bit like my home away from home and I always stay there when in HK (every 6 weeks)I love almost everything about this hotel : the view on HK is breathtaking, the rooms are perfect, bathroom also, service is always nice and really helpful. Décoration also. Everyone always so kind to me . The one only thing i kind of dislike is the fragrance they use in the lobby, too strong and not delicate. The right address to stay in HK.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear ceb75,
Thank you on behalf of everyone for the great review.
We look forward to all your future visits.
Do let me know if you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.
With kind regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This property does it right. This is a very well trained staff that is focused on the guest experience with genuine caring. The amenities are equally outstanding. The gym is well equipped with a lovely view of the harbor and pool (very functional for those swimming laps). The bars and restaurants are well run, and the food is quite good. The breakfast buffet is a great way to start the day, and the same restaurant has a dinner buffet frequented by guests and locals. Rooms are well appointed, modern and comfortable. Business travelers are provided a large, functional desk space, and the wifi is complimentary and fast. A lovely touch is that while most hotels charge ridiculous prices for mini bar items, all of the items in the mini bar at this property are included in the price of the room. Finally, the location in Kowloon is within walking distance of Nathan Road shopping. We took cabs to business meetings on the Hong Kong side and the ride was all of 15 minutes. Would recommend for business, families and those looking for a little pampering in the busy confines of Hong Kong.

Room Tip: The Club floors include access to the 28th Floor club that has a very nice afternoon tea.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mark F,
Thanks for reviewing ICON.
Much appreciated, do keep in touch and let me know when you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.
With best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I had a couple of nights here to break up the trip to Australia and I really enjoyed the hotel.

I got a good price by booking online and prepaying and chose a Club Harbour View room. The club rooms are worth paying a little bit more. The club check in is done up on the 28th floor, breakfast is included either in the lounge or in the main restaurant, afternoon tea is served and there is a great cocktail hour (6-8pm) in the evening in the Above and Beyond bar. The food is excellent.

Well equipped modern gym with superb views across to Central, good pool and the spa is lovely.

All the staff were charming and efficient.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank drwibble
Dear drwibble,
We hope to be able to look after you again in the not too distant future.
Feel free to email me directly for any future booking.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had a fantastic four days at Icon in a Harbour View room. We could have sat for hours just watching the river and the lights, all enhanced by a free minibar! Staff could not have been more helpful and friendly if they'd tried! Food was wonderful (but starve yourself before ordering the Peking Duck set menu in Above and Beyond - the quantity of food is big!). Afternoon tea is worth sampling in the Green.

Don't let the location put you off - there's a hotel shuttle that'll take you to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station or near Star Ferry, running every twenty minutes, and operating a pick up on return.

A lot of hotels could learn from staying at the Icon!! Thoroughly recommended!

Room Tip: Go for Harbour View.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NickBraddon,
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful impression of your stay at ICON.
The team and I thank you so much for your compliments and we send our best wishes.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you need any help with a room in Hong Kong.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were very fortunate to have stayed at this wonderful hotel twice last year, firstly in September for three days and in October on our return homeward. We loved everything about the hotel - good location, lovely decor, good dining options and facilities within the hotel, and in particular outstanding staff.

Throughout both our stays staff were wonderful. They we friendly, efficient, accommodating, professional and really made us feel well looked after. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them and our enquiries were always met with a smile.

We had a harbour view room on one of the higher floors which we would recommend, offering stunning views across Victoria Harbour. Our room was very spacious, not just by Hong Kong standards, with modern stylish decor. The bathroom was also a good size with a large bath and separate walk in shower. We also appreciated the free mini bar which was restocked daily with drinks and little snacks.

We also made use of the great hotel facilities. The complimentary shuttle service runs every 20 minutes and takes you to some great shopping areas and the MTR station. We had very late flights on both visits and were very appreciative of the guest lounge which is available to guests once they have checked out. We were provided with a card to access this lounge with nice big lounge chairs, complimentary tea, coffee and water. We could also access the good shower facilities at the gym/pool area next door which was very welcome before a long flight.

We included the buffet breakfast with our accommodation and were pleased we did so. There is a wonderful selection of both eastern and western dishes available. From baskets of dumplings and dim sums to an organic egg station with scrambled eggs and omelettes made to order, loads of fresh fruit and pastries as well. The best breakfast buffet we have had. We also had a buffet lunch at The Market which was equally as generous in its offerings, including a good range of seafood.

We ate at Above and Beyond twice and enjoyed the wonderful views of the skyline from the top of the hotel and the food equally. Our window seat was a great spot to watch Symphony of Lights, the nightly laser light show. We also ate at Green on the ground floor and enjoyed the food there as well.

We really enjoyed our stays and don’t hesitate to recommend this hotel. We’ll only stay here on future visits to Hong Kong!

Room Tip: Harbour view room on higher floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear andreaandsam,
We are humbled by your compliments and are truly delighted that you enjoyed ICON in your own special way.
We will never sit still and will constantly strive to improve what we do.
Please let me know personally if you are coming back and I will do my best to reserve a nice room for you.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Wonderlul location, great views, comfortable room, fabulous modern design and attentive customer service. I will definitely be staying here again and spending more time relaxing by the pool.. that is after my massage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TravellingBell
Dear TravellingBell,
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Please don't hesitate to get touch with me to make a booking.
Kind regards,