“Noisy, Slow Internet, Tiny Rooms, Made Me Depressed”
Review of Causeway Corner

Causeway Corner
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
“Noisy, Slow Internet, Tiny Rooms, Made Me Depressed”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This property has been converted to hotel rooms since I last stayed here while it looks good it is a terrible place to stay because of the noise which never stops even on the 19th Floor!. The walls and doors are not sound proof. You can hear the people next door even when they take a shower. The windows are not sound proof as they are single pane (don't know how they won their claimed environmental award with such windows - total green wash). As a result you have 24 hour traffic noise making it impossible to have restful sleep. The room doors are like paper and the cleaning staff make a racket all the time, why they have to shout constantly is beyond me. The supervisors walkie talkie iare set to maximum volume. You hear every movement in the corridor as guests go to and from rooms and closedoors. Beds are short and uncomfortable. Internet speed is a joke. Rooms could not be smaller if they tried, although bathroom is ok for size. This hotel make my trip miserable and triggered of a depression attack resulting in me deciding to cut my trip a week short - it was that bad!

Room Tip: Ask for above 19 floor might be less traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Davies B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Booked this based on generally good reviews from TA. We had 2 triple sharing rooms. One needs quite alot of creativity to fit in the luggage into the rooms.
The extra bed creaks everytime one moves and they confirm all the extra beds are like that.
The room is made up but trash is not cleared. My daughter dropped her t-shirt on the toilet floor and it was filled with dust.
I was told the room is 310 sq feet but it felt like 210 sq ft. I will definitely pay a bit more for a more comfortable room to sleep in.
But location wise one cannot complain about it.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank MrTembusu
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in mid-October via a package deal booked via ctrip. This place mainly serves as a serviced apartment but has rooms that act as hotel rooms. However, this place does not offer the typical hotel amenities such as 24 hour concierge, room service, breakfast etc. If you only needs a place to sleep, then this is an excellent location as it is 2 minutes away from the Causeway Bay subway station (exit C) and have many stores nearby. Also, if your room number is an odd number, you get an excellent view of the Tsim Sha Tsui harbor front. Note that the building has a 24 hr doorman and has a security card system in order to enter the elevators that have access to the room floors.

Room featured free wifi, many channels (japanese, chinese, english, korean etc), mini fridge, microwave, strong central AC/heat etc. As for many other hotels in HK due to real estate value, the room tends to be relatively smaller than those overseas. My only complaint is that the pillows were too flat.

Room Tip: Their ocean view rooms offer a great view of the Tsim Sha Tsui harbor. If you store luggage, make s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slyt009
Hong Kong
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We stayed for a month here as you can only rent by the month and we are very happy with our choice. This service apt is located next to MTR in bustling Causeway Bay and you can't really do any better by location since HK has the most expensive real estate in the world. Our room is small - but fair by HK standard and everything is modern and well appointed. Staff is friendly and there's 24 hr security at the gate. There's a microwave and induction cooker and simple utensils for us to cook noodles and warm up food if needed. Price is excellent as you rent by the month so if you break down daily, you can't find a hotel at this location at this price. We were even able to store our luggage here for free for 10 days after our departure for Beijing and the luggage was in one piece when we picked it up later - Thanks Causeway Corner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MMWife
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,387 helpful votes
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The room was smaller than it looked in the photos, but adequate enough for our needs. It was very clean and staff clean the room and change towels daily except on Sundays, so do note when planning your trip. Also note that the hotel is undergoing renovation of its offices on the third floor; surprisingly there was little noise, though a smell of lacquer was present on the last two days. Check in and checking out was very fast and efficient, and the staff, especially those manning the first floor lobby, were friendly and helpful. You can also do laundry cheaply in the basement. There is a microwave and kettle, but you need to bring your own coffee or teabags. There is also free wired broadband, but we brought our own router and had wireless setup easily. Restaurants and amenities such as supermarkets are just round the corner. Transport options are also very convenient - the MTR, buses and the Hong Kong island tram, as well as the mini bus to Repulse Bay and Stanley, are just minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking floor, and perhaps a high floor with a sliver of harbour view between two buil...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orator11
Reviewed 17 November 2012

My family and I , 4 persons in group did our own plan tour in Hong Kong. I am delighted that I chosen Causeway corner for my stay in Hong Kong Island.

The hotel located in business n shopping center , MRT of causeway bay . Room are very clean and neat.

Surrounding got very good restaurants and cha chan ding " Hong Kong Typical Small Tea Restaurant " served located set meals.

I particular impressed by the service attitude of the hotel staff. I was caught in the traffic jam on the last day (Friday evening) visit in Hong Kong, from Hong Kong Ocean park Out to hotel n to airport . I might miss my flight back home, I decided to call hotel asked for helps, the hotel manager and staff were very helpful and not hesitate to assist me, the staff helps bring my check out bags and luggage to Airport Express Terminal, finally I able to catch my flight back home safely.

I sincerely offer my appreciation and many thanks to the management and all staffs of causeway corner service apartment. I would highly recommend to all my friends about your esteem hotel .

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Williamwl
Sydney
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed at The Causeway Corner for two week in Aug/Sept 2012. All in all I had a very good experience and have no hesitation in recommending this place. For a bit more money it is a much safer bet than the cubby holes advertised in other websites. The big plus is that the building does have non-smoking floors. Although they cannot guarantee a non-smoking floor at the time of booking they made an exception for me because of health reasons.

The location can't be beat. It is 5 mins to Sogo, Times Square and all the shopping and dining in between. One morning I strolled over to The Excelsior Hotel a few blocks away and enjoyed a huge buffet breakfast there! You will be spoilt for choice in terms of food and shopping in this location! The Causeway Bay MTR station is just across the street from the building.

My room is really a glorified hotel room equipped with a microwave, induction hotplate, kettle and cups and saucers etc plus a good sized fridge. All local calls and LAN broadband are included. Room has it's own direct line. I hooked up my iPad to the Lan cable with a travel router which is really not encouraged by the management but they still sent someone up to help me when I ran into trouble! The service here is first class. The staff are friendly, responsive and things get sorted at the speed of light. The room is also equipped with a flat panel TV, DVD player and even a universal plug. There's a ceiling fan for those who prefer that to air conditioning, which was arctic! The bathroom is a very decent size with a powerful shower, even though hot water was a bit erratic during my stay.

Security is good in the building with 24 hr guard and key card access. There are two gyms around the corner in Elizabeth House but most contracts are for one month. There's a common laundry room in the building together with His and Hers Japanese baths......a real treat if you are here in the winter! There's also heaps of storage in the room.

All in all it has been a good experience. If I had to be picky I would say that they could improve on the housekeeping. If it were not for the tatty towels, stained bedding and unclean cups and saucers which I found on arrival I would have given them 5 stars. These are minor niggles because all I had to do was wash the cups and saucers again and finish with alcohol wipes. As for the towels and linen you can get housekeeping to change whatever you don't like. The room does not have a proper kitchenette sink so everything was done in the bathroom sink with hand wash liquid soap! The maid will only clean the room if the sign is put out. This was a real boon for me not to have maids banging on my door every morning!

Room Tip: If you're a non smoker, don't forget to ask for a non smoking floor. I was in 801. The a/c...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo