“Disapointing hotel - beware of scam if booked through Orbitz”

The VELA Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #496 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed at the Vela hotel in August and it has been a nightmare ever since. I will review the hotel later, but warn anybody: DO NOT book this hotel through Orbitz. I did and was charged the HKD price in USD - Orbitz is bullying me to pay $1,055 US dollars. That is the HKD rate - USD price should be between $100-$130 USD. I hope nobody falls victim to this scam. Problem is Orbitz and Vela hotel have been stonewalling my inquiries and rejecting my efforts to settle this for the honest, standard rate of the hotel.

The location of the hotel is very convenient but the rooms are dirty and have not been updated in a very long time. Another time this summer I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Central and that hotel was infinitely nicer than the Vela for about the same rate. Plus, you would not be doing business with scam artists and crooks.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank the_kuang

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We've stayed in this hotel just recently and we were left with mixed feelings.
Just when we entered the hotel we were not sure that thats the place because nobody approached us and welcomed us. Just after 5 minutes when we already sit on the chairs close to reception, we had to be the one to tell them we have booking to check in to their hotel. Service is not nice.

Good thing they upgrated our room for free, so we can have our double bed because all the small rooms were unavailable or had Twin beds.

When we entered our room we were surprised because it was huge according to HK standards and it had some kind of panoramic view,but it was dirty...bed had some hair on it, bathroom has towel that was left by previous guests(colorful children towel), honestly, it felt like they never wash floors becaus you cannot walk bare feet you will feel sand and dirt sticking to your feet.
We were not really comfortable even sleeping on their bed being afraid that its dirty and we might get sick.
Good thing in the room there was complimentary two bottles of water every day, free tea, coffee, snacks. There is a teapot, sp you can make some hot water. And fridge for you to keep some foods. Tv had some international channels,but not too much, it was enough for us though.
Free slippers were provided by hotel, i guess so we wont be feeling how dirty the floor is :):):)

The hotel has some 7/11 not so far away, on the first floor there is bakery,never had time to try it.
Door to door there is karaoke bar just in case you want to have drink or two before you sleep.

Location is kinda far, so if you dont mind walking at least for 20-30 minutes to train then this hotel is perfect for you, make sure to bring comfortable shoes! There is also some tram you can take,but we didnt know how to, so we just walked.

Overall experience was ok, but I dont think we will stay again, cleanness for us is determining factor.

Room Tip: Try to ask for upgrate, so you can get bigger room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed in Hong Kong for 9 days and decided to stay in the Vela as it was the few hotels that offered two double beds in one room. We are a family of 4 with young children. We did not want to have two separate rooms. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The best part is the value and the location as the hotel is very conveniently located close to Causeway Bay subway and all the bus and tram routes. There are some nice restaurants around the area and a food market not too far from the hotel to get fresh fruits. You can either go to the shopping market to bargain for trinkets and souvenirs or you can goto SOGO department store for the high end shopping. The downside of the hotel is the room is very small and there is little sound barrier. Overall it comes to value and the fact we rarely stayed inside the hotel except to shower and sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank adhp02
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Although location wise I couldn't say it's very good, but it's about 5 minutes walk to Times Square so its alright.. But we had trouble with the taxi driver not knowing where it is when we first came.

But check in was fast, rooms is spacious - compared to Hongkong hotels with the $120 price tag. Beds are not 5 star, a bit hard but it's alright. A word of warning for family travelers, the bathroom and bedroom are separated by a hazy glass only - so you can almost see through (about 20% visibility).

Breakfast is lousy though, I ended up skipping almost all of it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Instz
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Spent a saturday night in this hotel with my wife. It is in Causeway Bay and 8 minutes walk to Times Square, one of the landmarks in HK Island. Around there, you find lots of interest and good for shopping. There are numerous shops and big sales chains. There is also a underground station for MTR.

The hotel also offers breakfast, lunch and dinner at relatively good price when compared to restaurants in this area. The room is not fancy but that is what I expect. Clean and the bed is very comfortable with free wifi in room.

Location-wise, it is OK. In terms of room rate, it is reasonable when you are in Hong Kong!

Room Tip: Find a room facing the racing course. The view is quite good.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank KanMacau
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This hotel is trying to be chic, but somewhat failing. Its a bit of a hike from the Causeway Metro station, (exit A). Check in was slow, but the two chaps did not really look like they knew what they were doing or looked as if they cared for that matter. Reception is small and dingy, due to the darkened glass, which makes everything look dull and uninviting. I booked this on Agoda, at short notice, and it was no surprise to pay over the top for a room at this late notice. The room rate was circa 140 pounds sterling (room only), which for the standard of this room was far too much. As I am a regular visitor to Hong Kong, I have stayed in bundles of different hotels and I know what is available else where and what is value and what is not. Inside the room, the flooring is wood, which unfortunately looks dirty and tired already. The bathroom was okay, again a modern effect which is not really working and the bed was very low, with very poor quality pillows. On my side of the bed, there was no bedside cabinet either? The room view was good, overlooking Happy Valley Race Course, but as we were on the 6th floor we were very close to the flyover a couple of floors below and the noise level was pretty intense, until we pooped in our ear plugs and all was well in the world. It will take you about 15 minutes to walk to Wan Chai.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank AdrianinChina
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My room is the one facing the racecourse. Someone here states that the rooms on this side gets a lot of noise from highway but maybe I got so used to the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong by the time I checked in here, I didn't quite notice.
I must admit, the outside and lobby is nothing much to look at so I was very apprehensive at first.
The service is great. I had a massive headache in the middle of the night and called the front desk, before long, he came with the staff supply of paracetamol. Great service.
The room is European standard: spacious, nice little kitchenette with microwave, kettle, etc. Fully equipped, I do really like it here.
The staff don't speak much English though, so I guess that's why some of the reviews here are bad. I speak Cantonese and I find the staff very very helpful.
The room is so big, you can sleep 4 people there.
The only thing I didn't like was the bathroom. It is full glass walls with very little frosting. We travelled together with friends so the guys have to go out when the girls were showering.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends