“Bravo!”

128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 309 helpful votes
“Bravo!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Actually, I planned a visit to Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts at home, when after booking a hotel I was looking through the What’s on list. I knew that within the program of Hong Kong Arts Festival there was a performance of Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” at the time of our stay. So, the 1st thing I did on checking in was to make ticket reservations. The Academy turned to be an imposing avant-garde building with a garden. And the performance was in the Lyric Theatre upstairs.
As I read in the announcement: “Come and laugh – for the 1st time or the umpteenth – at Wilde’s dazzling wit, eat the cucumber sandwiches especially prepared for Lady Bracknell and – yes – be shocked to hear of a baby found in a handbag”. I wasn’t shocked to hear of a baby found in a handbag, as I know the play practically by heart. But I did feel a shock! Emotional shock, because all the performances I had seen before sounded heavy and ponderous, and here, for the 1st time, Wilde’s brilliant dialogue was delivered with exactly the right lightness of touch it was created! It was really a stunning production by London’s Rose Theatre Kingston. Bravo!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Irina M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
3,610 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11,992 helpful votes
“Lyric Theater at the HKAPA - nice evening out for performances in HK”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We occasionally attend performances at the Lyric theater at the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts (HKAPA) in Wan Chai. The Lyric theater is a decent little theater with good acoustics because of the small and compact seating. There are three levels of seating and most seats are comfortable enough for shows. The HKAPA have local performances quite regularly and are bring in international performances several times a year such as Abba, Chicago, Cats, Stomp just to name a few.

We recently watched Stomp a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed our experience at the Lyric Theatre in Wan Chai. It was a good experience, consistent with other performances we've seen there over the years. What we like about watching performances at the HKAPA Lyric Theatre is that there are many bars/restaurants to have a meal/drink at just a few minutes walk, along Jaffe, Lockhart and Luard Streets in Wan Chai. Combined they make a nice evening out, more enjoyable for locals and expats but perhaps for visitors as well.

Visited October 2011