“Best Spanish in town, a hidden gem in LKF”
Review of Mesa 15 - CLOSED

Mesa 15
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Spanish cuisine has been booming in HK in the past couple of years! So many new tapas places opened all over the city, and I remember I had my first Spanish dinner in HK in the old Mesa 15 on Hollywood Road about 3 years ago - that was the moment I started to fall in love with Spanish food. Last week I went to the new Mesa 15 in LKF for the 1st time since they moved there a year ago. The deco is stylish, bright, lots of windows, with an open kitchen. We kick-off with a watermelon gazpacho (free), which is super chilled and refreshing. Ham was as good as usual but the wow factor came from the toast with fresh tomato - we have to order one more portion! Starters we have mussels, scallops, and ox tongue - all of them were delicious! Especially the mussels were so fresh and sweet with a rich tomato and chorizo sauce - we licked the plate. Main course we ordered paella with red prawns and ribs, suckling pig and baby lamb. The paella was so good that I think it was even better than the one I had in Barcelona! The rice was perfectly cooked and full of favour. The suckling pig was awsome! Thin crispy skin, fatless, tender and juicy meat, flawless. Dessert we have starwberry cheese cake to share. I think their food is even better than the old location. Service was very friendly that I could feel they served us with lots of heart. Chef came to greet us after main course, which was a nice touch. This dinner reminded me how great Spanish cooking can be. Highly recommend this restaurant - surprisingly not too busy in the middle of LKF - a real hidden gem.

There are newer reviews for Mesa 15

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Having tried various "Spanish" restaurants such as Fofo, 22 Ships, and Boqueria, decided to try Mesa 15, which is now in Lan Kwai Fong. I have to say this restaurant is seriously underrated compared to the above 3 restaurants.

We started off with scallops, sea urchin and fried calamari which were all excellent. We then moved onto our mains of pork loin and suckling pig. Both were extremely well cooked. The skin of the suckling pig was so crispy and definitely the best suckling pig in town with very little fat and very tender meat. Dessert of amaretto chocolate cake (very rich) and Greek Yoghurt with fresh figs were a great ending to a good meal. They also have an extensive wine list as well. After our dinner the chef came over to ask how the food was which is a really nice touch. Service is also good.

We will definitely be back soon and recommend people to try Mesa 15.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Mesa 15 has shifted to a new location in LKF and a new restaurant by the same team, called Numero 15 has opened at the Hollywood location. The restaurant is more casual and focuses on tapas.
After a great experience at Mesa 15 some time back, we decided to check out Numero 15. Sad to say it was very disappointing. The service was nice and friendly, but that was the only positive note of the evening. Unfortunately, they had run out of their signature dish - Alejandro's Fried Chicken. We had the mixed cold cut platter, bread with tomato, chorizo croquetas, mushrooms, fried cheese sticks, chorizo sausage, ox tongue, mini wagyu burgers and mini lamb burgers. The food was just about passable. Nothing worth writing home about.
We had to wait a very long time between courses (it was a busy Saturday night) and then also our food arrived on the table absolutely cold.

2  Thank Kanwalkwilltravel
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Food is balanced - a little fussy. Foams and bubbles!
Good Spanish wine selection. Nice decor - service is very good.
I found 4 tapas restaurants within a 2 min walk.
Give it a go!

1  Thank petitebrioche
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We had spent a longish holiday in NZ and were on a stopover in HK. We are complete foodies but get quickly bored with chinese food. So we just happened to walk past Mesa 15 and it just looked a perfect way to treat ourselves to some fab european food.

We opted for the chef's tasting menu which included a matched wine flight. The whole evening was a delight. The food was simple but beautifully cooked, and really showcased modern spanish cooking. The wines were excellent. The service was really good. To cap it all the chef came out and had a chat with us for 5 minutes half way through to check how to were enjoying the food and to ask our preferences for the next few courses . For a complete evening 10 out of 10.