“Tasty Great Service”

Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I'd been recommended this place by a colleague and was not disappointed. The food is reasonably priced, the staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is pleasant. They will cater for couples to large groups and the restaurant is conveniently located on Staunton Street, so close to lots of bars for pre or post drinks. Lots of choices on the menu, the lamb sheek kebabs were really nice. Lots of wine to choose from at good prices. Will go again....

1  Thank mrww79
There are newer reviews for Le Souk

Reviewed 29 July 2014

had a staff party here good tasty buffet they organised for us we were a bit noisy as was around 80 persons but the restaurant was fine and as it was a monday we got a good package, lamb ribs were to die for

1  Thank david t
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our second visit in a month, and like the first the food is first rate, well cooked , well spiced and presented.

The table was a little small and slightly squashed under the bar area, but nothing too bad.

Grilled sardines were fresh,the lamb shank meltingly tender and the lamb meat ball tagine as good as any we have had in Morroco.

The service by our hatted waiter, the boss?, was attentive. The prices for SOHO are very reasonable.

This place is definately on our list of regular eateries.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I’m a sucker for Middle Eastern food. So when I heard that the crew behind Sahara have a sister restaurant we hot-footed it super-speedy-styley down to Le Souk for a hummus-hoovering.

There’s nothing flashy-pants about Le Souk. And that’s what I like about it. It’s rustic and authentic and with atypical Moroccan décor and traditional folk music floating around my peripherals, I feel almost transported. It helps too that the waiters all hail from this part of the world so they know their stuff. They’re a warm and welcoming bunch with abundant energy it seems and this creates a really sociable and friendly atmosphere.

The menu offers diners a range of dishes from Morocco, Egypt and Lebanon. If there’s hummus in my eyeline, I’m on it like a car bonnet. Le Souk has an option of either grilled chicken or lamb hummus so we order one of each. Also on our starter order is 2 x halloumi ($60) and 2 x Kefta ($66). The generous bowls of hummus arrive with baskets of rotund pitta, steaming hot. We hastily break the pitta into bitesize mouthfuls and slide it into the hummus, scooping up mounds of it as well as chunks of meat en route. Creamy, smooth and both the chicken and lamb have a subtle char-grill flavor – deee-lish. There are several slithers of halloumi and it comes with a nicely dressed green salad. The minced beef kefta left me a little cold, not just because they weren’t warm; the spices that were supposed to be contained within had obviously abandoned ship unfortunately.

The main courses are mostly tagine but fear not, if you aren’t a slow-cooked-meat lover there’s mixed grills, stews, sheesh kebabs and even a cheeky paella. By Hong Kong standards the prices are pretty reasonable ranging from $90 (for a vegetable tagine) to $290 for an Egyptian mixed grill platter. After our hefty starters I order myself a chicken sheesh kebab thinking I’m being “healthy” but when it arrives I realize that there’s nothing Spartan about these guys. My plate is laden with sheesh and an enormous bowl of cous cous. Flavours are good and the cous cous is immaculately cooked; soft, bouncy and airy. I only wish they could have used about 1/3 of the oil that is coating the chicken. Across the table the rest of my peeps are eating lamb tagine and “Cous Cous a Le Souk” (Roasted lamb shank, beef Mergez and veggies with cous cous - $160) – it looks fabulous but I’m too replete to kidnap any.

There’s no room at the Inn for dessert but in case you’re wondering they serve the traditional Baklava ($40), and a banana and fig filo ($45). If there was just the smallest corner left in my tum I’d be gorging on some of the former but it’ll have to wait till next time.

Full to the brim, we all start to wilt from the oncoming food-coma. As we order the bill, our chirpy and friendly waiter offers us a free drink and for just about the first time EVER, we politely decline.

For those that love Middle Eastern fodder, this is most definitely worth a visit. It’s not the best I’ve been to in Hong Kong but on the whole; great service, super-reasonable prices, excellent hummus and a great atmosphere I will most definitely be visiting again soon.

For more restaurant reviews in Hong Kong visit my blog - Eat My Musings (Google it!)

1  Thank Chief M
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We went there 2 nights ago. The restaurant is really charming. The waiters were always with a smile and are really efficient. The food is just delicious for a fair price. Do not forget to try the drinks too. We paid around 630 HKD for starters, main dishes and cocktails for 2 people). We will definitely go back!