“Good atmosphere, quite good food”
Review of Plaza Mayor

Plaza Mayor
Ranked #2,943 of 8,222 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
hong kong
“Good atmosphere, quite good food”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We've been to this little Wanchai restaurant twice now and enjoyed both visits. If I have a criticism it's that the menu is a bit meaty for my taste, but then the Spaniards are inveterate carnivores so I shouldn't grumble. Our table of four ordered jamon Iberico -- the acorn-fed variety --, chorizo in red wine, prawns in garlic, clams in garlic and mushrooms in garlic. The latter three were all good and zesty, especially with bread to mop up the juices. You have to order the bread separately, by the way, which I thought was a bit off.

I always believe in ordering at least one new dish per visit, and this time it was a tuna stew, which turned out to be patatas bravas with a few chunks of tuna in a rather gloopy sauce. Not a successful expreiment.

You pay for the atmosphere in this buzzy pleasant restaurant with a central glassed in kitchen where the chefs carve the jamon, but I daresay we'll go there again when the mood takes us.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank patinhongkong

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Just average”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Tried this restaurant recently. Design looks good, cosy. Glass enclosed kitchen. Kind of split dining room. Appetizers were good, Serrano ham, garlic prawns , mushrooms, croquettes, cheese all good. Unfortunately things went down hill from there: the hot dishes were pretty disappointing. The meat balls lacked flavor and were too dry, the tortilla with chorizo was dry and lacked flavor. The foie gras was almost Indian in style. Overseasoned, no chance to enjoy the foie gras flavor; out of balance. Because of the split dining room the service was haphazard. Total bill 1400 for 3. Unfortunately would not go back.

• Visited July 2013
new york
“Back to Madrid!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The tapas are excellent and authentically prepared. The atmosphere is precisely like Spain, small bar and tables along the length of the restaurant. If weather permits, sit on the back patio and enjoy 2-for-1 happy hour and lots of baskets of the hot and crusty bread to soak up the various tapas!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank travellertseng
Hong Kong, China
“My love of all things Spanish gets satisfied here!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Away from the crowded and noisy Soho and LKF, this homey yet professionally managed Spanish restaurant is a delight to visit every time. Located in a small, dimly lit lane in Queen's Road East, it has a relaxing vibe to the otherwise overly bright and stressful HK. From it's refreshing Sangria, the tasty Tapas, to the great selection of Reds, I get it all here and to perfection! My favorite Tapas, cooked Chorizos and Gambas pil pil with bread are sumptuous and I always leave wanting more. The owner takes personal interest and makes you feel special. One of the best, least commercial, Spanish restaurants in HK.

• Visited March 2013
“Wow what a little oasis of Spain in Wanchai”
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Tucked away this hard to find spainish jem is worth the search. After my fourth visit here I had to do a write up of this place otherwise I would not be doing it justice.

I usually come here for the lunch special of $99HKD which changes daily. Assortment of small tapas of lite crispy squid combined with delicious mouth watering meatballs along with salad and chorizo at a bargain price.

In the past I have had Galicia octopus which transcends me back to northern Spain. The paella for two is superb and my favourite Tortila de patas rocks.

This place is usually always half empty for lunch which mean no queues. Spanish music in background provides a quite but authentic atmosphere with attentive service. What a jem of a place 5 stars for me.