“UN ANGOLO DI PIEMONTE AD HK”
Review of La Piola - CLOSED

La Piola
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I'm Italian and I live in Asia and HK since many years, I love food and wine and from time to time I have been also involved in some F&B activity as consultant and business developer for Italian companies exploring the Asian markets, all this to say that I know when a restaurant is good or not.

I went twice to La Piola in the past two weeks , I met Marc, Enrico and Stefano, rispectivelly the Assistant Manager , the Manager and the Executive Chef.

The first time I was with some Japanese suppliers, and with the help of Enrico and Marc we enjoyed a business lunch with happiness and joe for a delicious food.

Enrico, 100% Italian is a great entertainer and even able to fluently speak Japanese so ... he really put us in a very confortable atmospher teasing us with delicious food and offering some dishes as well !!!!

We start with a mix of salami, coppa, ham and several regional Piedmont cheese , we enjoyed a great Nebbiolo wine .

We had fantastic Agnolotti ( piedmont dumpling) , and a tartar of FASSONE meat ... really AMAZING !!!

Yesterday I went with my business parter and we had again the agnolotti and a crazy artichoke, nuts and parmiggiano cheese salad .

Chef Stefano Rossi is a great young Chef but with already many years of experience in top level restaurants in Torino , arrived in HK since the opening of La Piola has been able to train and educate a great staff of assistants in the beautiful open kitchen, I'm sure that Stefano will be able to surprise us with an amazing career and new dishes with respect of the traditional Piedmont cuisine.

Yes, price it was not exactly popular but on the other hand the raw materials are freshly and directed imported from Italy, who is familiar with the HK life knows that the rental fee are simply crazy, the food was great same as the wine ... so how can I complain ?

I will be back again!

4  Thank DOMENICO A

Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is a classic case of a bad restaurant relying on first time (non-repeat) buisness in a good location.

They will claim that the food is prepared to "Italian tastes". Uhhm uhm I have travelled throughout Italy and never had such tasteless awful food. It's just bad food. So here's a rundown of what we had:

The star: The Barbera wine by the glass - a lovely wine
OK: The starter of Parma ham and Mozzarella cheese
The BAD: The main of NZ lamb rack - no one should do this to NZ lamb. The baked potatoes were soggy and tasteless and drowned in oil, the lamb had no seasoning, was undercooked and tough. It was just awful. I was hungry, so I ate about half the lamb after loading salt onto it to give it some flavour, but I feel sick now. Also bad was the beef agnolotti with soggy, thick 2-day old parmesan basket. They claim the pasta is meant to be "al dente", but I know the difference between "al dente" and undercooked. Undercooked pasta tastes like grains of flour in your mouth.

When we were asked if everything was OK, I gave honest straightforward feedback about the food (basically I said that the pasta was undercooked, the lamb was unseasoned and undercooked and the potatoes were soggy). The staff were defensive, the chef couldn't be bothered to come and confront us himself and we were given numerous excuses by a person who presented himself as the assistant manager, essentially blaming our tastes for not liking the food. Well it was awful. Really awful. Just shut up, paid the bill and left. Never to go back.

My wife cooks Italian food immeasureably better than anything I ate here. Maybe I am spoilt, but my wife is an amateur cook and technically she is a far better cook than the chef at this restaurant. At least she properly seasons (and cooks) meat, her baked potatoes are crispy and tasty, and her pasta is properly cooked. She would never serve stale food either.

Go here for a glass of wine but go elsewhere for food. Just not worth it - it's really bad and there's no desire to take customer feedback on board and improve.

6  Thank JnAlP
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have been meaning to write for some time after being a regular visitor for such time now this place needs to be shared ;)
Consistant quality its what all restaurants woud like to be famed for and this is one. From the fantastic wine selection where you can really spoil yourself for choices of wine by the glass or the famous aperitivo Spritz (being a Brit this was introduced to me), the Spritz is now a favourite of mine.
The team has done a great job since opening over a year ago with a good rotation on the dinner menu and the selection offered to all guests in the bar area every evening cannot be beaten.
It is also great to see the same staff there long term who recognise and remember your favourites. La Piola is one that must be ticked off in Hong Kong.

5  Thank IWM-HK
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We arrive for brunch after reading great reviews here. Leaking air conditioner on your table which you sort of expect in HK. Anyway it wasn't too busy so that we moved to another table.

We ordered looking forward to a nice afternoon brunch. First thing they said their was no sea bass so we ordered the pork instead. It took a good 30 minutes before entrees came, our glass of red wines didn't come yet. We ordered two salads neither had dressing when queried waiters they said vinegar and olive oil bottles on the table was the dressing???

We order a mixed cheese and cold meat platter but this didn't come with any kind of bread which again we needed to ask. Finally the wines came. Veal Cappacio was pretty plain was too think for raw meat and should be paper thin not steak like tartare.

People next to us we're constantly waiting for drinks and kept asking. Eventually they left.

On to the mains....after we asked for the mains when entree was finished the waiter comes up to us and says there is no gnocchi which is what I ordered. What is going on how can you not have this pasta/potato in an Italian Resturant!!! Gnocchi doesn't take long too make by hand.

At this point I just said I will share my wifes meal as the waiter was trying to force me to eat what they wanted to make which was homemade pasta but they had no idea what the name was.

Another 20 minute wait for our mains.

Mains arrive, my wife asked for vegetable with her pork but she got mash potato instead. Some one order Rissotto but got liguine instead which they then tried to pass it to us.

Large riggotini pieces was stuck together.

To make matters even worse we found out during our meal the owner/managet at the time was in the Resturant having wines with some other people totally oblivious to what was going on.

The bill was very expensive to say the least.

As my wife said never again...have to totally agree. Appauling lunch.

5  Thank Fredflinstone5
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I had the chance to discover La Piola on my last trip to HK, and to tell the truth the italian spirit you can find there is to be compared to the atmosphere you can find in traditional bar and restaurants in Northern Italy's Piemonte! In the Heart of HK Central, the place looks like a mix of modern and traditional spirit. At the open street bar, a wide range of italian liquors and spirits is available, and what a surprise to find a large typical SPRITZ to be enjoyed outside Italy!!! Congratulations to the bartender!! The service is warm, friendly and efficient, and when u get the chance to get up to the first floor to have your diner, the open kitchen shows you what you can expect to enjoy in your plate later on. The vision of the traditional pasta Lab reminded me my italian origins so i decided to try the Plin in parmiggiano crust which was just like i imagined! A bottle of Barbaresco to go with it, a tiramisu to finish, then down to the bar again to have a last Limoncello , I finally had the visit of the Piemontese owner to have a word in italian with him... Well to make short, U like Italy, U like Piemonte, U like good food, good wine and good vibes, i'd then recommend u to try La Piola, it's really worth the value...

3  Thank Thomas L