“It could have been better”

Day and Night Hotel
Kunming, China
“It could have been better”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed in Day & Night Hotel for 3 nights. I would have said that it was a pretty good experience if I hadn't met some of their employee (or boss).

The first day, I arrived early in the morning so I asked for an early check-in. They told me that it was possible, but the room was in another floor because the one I payed for was still occupied. As the boss owns several guesthouses in the same building, he putted me in "Singh Guesthouse". I accepted and I took that room.

After two nights here, I asked to visit the room I was supposed to have at the beginning (the room I actually payed for!) in Day & Night Hotel. I found that this room was much bigger, much newer, and much better equipped that the one I had. Naturally, I asked to change to that room as it was available... Surprise! The employee (maybe he is one of the bosses) asked me to ad 50HK$ per night to have this one! I tried to negotiate to get what I had paid for, but he didn't accept any of my arguments. Moreover he has been quite disagreeable (not far from rude!) with me and all the other customers who tried to obtain anything from him such as a receipt... which he refuses to give for “god knows” which reason.

To conclude, the rooms are small but seems to be pretty nice, even if I didn't even sleep in one of them! The price is quite cheap for Hong Kong standard (as long as they don't ask you to pay more than you already did). Unfortunately, I remain a bit disapointed because of this lack of service and professionalism. I finished my Hong Kong journey in another hostel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris4487

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We booked the hotel through internet from 4-9 August 2013. Due to emergency situation I have to delay our arrival and my wife and son went earlier than me. The flight was so late they showed around 23.00hrs midnight.

When she showed the payment receipt on her cell phone, the man on the front desk borrowed her phone cell, browsing curiously for quite a long time looking for something as if he was suspicious of the booking confirmation showed to him.

So there were my wife and son. An alien woman with a teenage son, perplexed in the middle of the night in a foreign city. And the man on the front desk showing no mercy told her that she was late and no room for her...

Later I found out the hotel policy written at the bottom of the booking receipt:
"This booking is Non-Refundable and cannot be amended or modified. Failure to arrive at your hotel will be treated as a No-Show and no refund will be given (Hotel policy)"

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank irwanpr

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Novosibirsk, Russia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Ultra-small rooms - bed and narrow passage - store your suitcase under the bed and pack it on the bed - no other way to do this. But in the same time: room has all you need - a/c, fan, tv, sconce, hairdryer, private shower. Also this property has good wifi in all rooms, microwave oven, hot water dispenser on the reception.
Very good location near the shopping malls and 2min walk from subway station. Bus stop for bus N21 (from/to HKIA) is right in front of hotel.
What's to say more? Yeah, There is long queues to elevators in the building. They require key-deposit on check-in (about HKD20), but no one will return you this money if you will check-out in the night :)
Anyway, good value for the money for those who need to stay in HK for one or two nights.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hotel is pretty decent in this price range. supportive staff but rooms as per booking was not honoured on arrival causing inconvenience.
very close to malls and central and so is the primary choice for all travellers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I had read several reviews about this place before staying so had a pretty good idea of what to expect. Most of what you read is true...the place is very difficult to find as it's on the 9th floor above a market. The market is full of leering men that would be a bit creepy if I was travelling solo. The door to the hotel didn't even have a sign when we got there so you think you're ringing someone's apartment. The rooms are really clean and surprisingly have pretty much everything you need...except space! My boyfriend kept knocking things of the nightstand as there's no room between them. The bathroom is TINY! If you are of any size at all, you would have a very hard time maneuvering in there. The staff aren't overly cold but make it seem like they're going out of their way to do anything extra. The major plus of this place is its location in the city. It's an easy walk to pretty much everything we wanted to see. I would stay here again if on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Samut Prakan, Thailand
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Overall, this hotel was a great place to stay. It's located inside the Chungking Mansions. However, upon my arrival into the Tsim Sha Tsui area by airport express van, due to the particular drop off point, I had a bit of trouble finding the hotel's location but eventually after alot of hard work, I came across it.

Bottom line, the interiors of the rooms are EXTREMELY clean. That's the one true thing I noticed the entire time I remained in HK. As one of the previous reviewers wrote, for those who may be griping about how they don't want small rooms, no lodging without breakfast etc. you should probably pay a little more for those kinds of amenities.
However, for myself, it's a trip and thus high priced lodging is usually never my objective but for others, I know is.
The staff were very nice and quite helpful in many ways in the duration of stay.
The hotel has a hot water boiler and a microwave if you want to buy something at say a 7 Eleven and bring it back to your room. There is also a computer at the front door for those who wish to check emails and whatnot.
The air conditioning worked great although I didn't really need it that much anyways, and the ceiling fan worked as well.

The bathroom is very tiny with not much wiggle room to pass through. The shower will almost always have nice hot water (but was sometimes a tad cooler since I'm assuming others had used it at a particular and more recent time).
You will have to ask for a towel since they were not provided upon first arriving at my room and there was also no soap to use.
* Luckily I had read reviews via another website and decided to bring my own towel and soap so I was all set!

Finally, there's a TV, small refrigerator *(great for buying large bottles of water to keep when going out on daily excursions, as well as other snacks), and a nice warm blanket in case you get cold.
The other unique element about this hotel was that it was truly security minded. One must enter a code just to open the front door. Then after passing reception, there's yet another door that has to be accessed and another after that (but all using the same code).
Then you also get a turn key plus a key card to power the room.
Bottom line? I found that the hotel to be extremely safe to stay in.
I enjoyed staying at this hotel and would recommend other single travelers to do the same. The other great thing is that thing called 'location'. From the hotel and walking out to the main street? What street is it? None other than the infamous Nathan Road and the also very close Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station.
From the hotel the location was great as many of my day trips were simply accessed by this very road either by walking to a particular point or simply by jumping onto the MTR to get wherever I wanted to go.
* The only thing I will say and that was a minor disadvantage was that the elevators are frequently jam packed and one may have to wait a bit before catching a ride down to the ground floor. Going up there were almost no problems though. One can use the stairs to get down although they can look a little seedy sometimes and not very clean.

In conclusion? I'd certainly choose to remain here again if and when I return to HK (which I think I will at some point simply because the trip was really cool in general).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeff206
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 March 2013

So this time it was HongKong and we all know the hotel rates are soring high. Day and night hotel is just everything that you would want as a budget traveller. For those who complain of room size, more comfort, star service, may be the holiday inn next door with few extra hundred dollers is what you should consider. For travellers like me, Day and night it goes like this:
1 - Excellent location. Your are actually connected to the entire HongKong from this place Tsim sha Tsui by metro, bus, ferry, walk. Its your choice. :-)
2 - Cleanliness and safety - No second thought and doubts. Very very clean, and safe for famlilies. I stayed with my wife and inlaws.
3 - Yes you have to work your way to the lift passing some hawkers selling you everthing on earth but a stern yet polite NO with a smile keeps them away.
4 - Choice of food for those who love Indian and Pakistani food.
5 - The hotel staff, the owner they go a step ahead and help you in everthing that they can make your stay comfortable..

So overall, This hotel DAY and NIGHT in Chunking Mansion is a BIG YES for me and I will stay there for sure next time.

Room Tip: Block D lift Que is long sometime as it is Busy. Used Block E lift and once you pop out of the lift...