“Good value and comfortable with a good location”

Hotel Madera Hong Kong
Ranked #31 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Basic hotel with small stylish room that fit the bill for what we needed. Shocking view of a dump below from our room but great view from the roof bar. Staff were quite friendly. In hindsight I'd probably spend a bit more and stay in a better room or at a better hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vospero

Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed for FOUR nights with family and friends in June 2012, in Madera Hong Kong .
We have fond memories of our stay at this hotel and thank all the staff for making our trip such a wonderful one.
The check-in was fast and quick and we were pleased to be upgraded to the Signature Floor on Level 27 . The Room was super , chic and decorated with latest technology , namely - motorised Double blinds , blue-ray player, Mood light dimmers etc . Mini bar was thrown in free for first night , and Game-expert , which is a Game zone with playstation and xbox 360 being complimentary for the entire duration of our stay .
The staff was ever smiling and helpful , ready to find any info for us with their ipads.
High Speed Data Access Internet is available in the entire hotel , including our rooms and is totally free for use.
Breakfast was not available because there is just a coffee shop in the hotel but we have nothing to complain as there are plenty of eating options nearby .
MTR ( local train ) station is few 2 minutes walk from the hotel .
Not only me but all my family members and each of our friends are happy with our stay .
We would gladly come back again .

Room Tip: You will love it !!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Nav_42
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel had quirky and modern decor and the rooms were very new and nice but was lacking in other areas. The cleaning service was very poor. They would just make the bed and not really do anything else. They offered free internet and snacks/drinks in the room but the snacks and drinks are never replenished so eat/drink sparingly! The bed was pretty hard but the size of the room was very comfortable. We booked a room with free breakfast and the Cafe 1997 on the 3rd floor was tiny but very adorable. We could get a free coffee and a pastry (very limited with only 6 choices). The location is good if you don't prefer being near the water. It is walking distance to the Temple Street Markets and a lot of sub stations. The customer service was excellent and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. There is no shuttle service but is easy to get to from the airport. Overall, good price for the quality of the room but if you are looking for a hotel which offers more amenities like a full restaurant, business center, or pool, this place is not for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wookiefurball
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in a superior twin room on the 6th floor and visited Mongkok, Ap Lei Chau, Causeway Bay, Central, Ocean Park, The Peak, Apliu Street, TST, etc.

Location & Accessibility: This new boutique hotel is easily recognizable on Cheung Lok Street. No problem with taxi drivers. No probelms getting taxis, buses, mini-buses. A 5 minute walk from exit B1 Jordan MTR.

Hotel Lobby & Design: Reception is pretty small but nicely decorated, there is a smallish gallery on the ground floor with a touch of old Hong Kong, great for pictures. Nice boutique feel, overall.

Vicinity: There's a traditional HK teahouse (Victory Restuarant) opposite the hotel that serves great breakfast/lunch at affordable prices. Love the luncheon meat with egg rice... Plenty of eating joints and there are a few convenience stores, medical halls, pharmacies littering the area so everything is pretty convenient. Use the underpass at Saigon Street (parallel to Cheung Lok Street) to get to more good food stops and Temple Street Night Market just across the road.

Service: Personally, I felt hotel service was above average. Everyone was really helpful and nice, advising on the weather conditions and passing us umbrellas :) Especially the door man / concierge guys. Housekeeping was tip-top. They were always greeting us and smiling.

Rooms: Nicely decorated in contemporary style and everything is clean and new. They provide full range of toiletries and an all-you-can help yourself mini-bar (chips, coke, beer, water) that gets replenished daily. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. For the price you're paying the room size is decent, compared to other hotels in the Mongkok/Nathan Road area. By the way, layout and size of superior and deluxe rooms are exactly the same, except the deluxe rooms are situated on higher floors....

Cons (for us): The hotel is totally non-smoking and they do not serve breakfast (or actually they do on Level 3 at the Cafe but mainly pastry and stuff) and there was no room service for our late night supper but then again, there are plenty of food joints a stone's throw away.

My overall take is that for the price we paid we got a good deal, we've stayed at other hotels in the area and paid more for less. Even local friends who visited us here shared the same view. Well, catch it while it's new as I think it's only a matter of time before they increase their prices....

Cheers!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank FnE_Traveller
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Hotel have nice and creative decorations which make the small space have better look, in room have comfort facilities, new looks, but room size seem small.

Hotel located on convenience area and easily to access other area by public transport, banking, shopping and other.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Tasa-Siri
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My stay at this hotel was so great, I actually signed up for an account at TripAdvisor just to write my first review!

My mom and I stayed in a twin room for 2 nights. The room size is decent, compared to other hotels I've stayed in HK. The bathroom is clean and modern, and the shower's water pressure was fantastic! (I think these rooms would be good for couples or close family members, because you can still see what's going on in the bathroom behind the translucent glass walls.) The wifi was fast and stable, and there are plenty of electrical outlets around the room to plug stuff into. Being on Nathan Rd and less than 5mins away from the Jordan station was also very convenient.

I thought the service was decent. The staff at the counter were always nice and greeted me when I entered/exited the hotel. I also had some large packages to wrap and they didn't really have the right tools to help me with that, but they did recommend where nearby I could go get some, while they stowed my stuff.

There's no hotel breakfast, but it's not a huge deal for me, since it's HK and there's food everywhere. The air ducts (or plumbing from another room?) did make some periodic strange noises, but overall, everything else about the hotel made up for it.

There's a very cute hotel cafe on the 3rd floor which was great for just hanging out, waiting for visitors. And a neat museum on the base floor to wander around in.

The best part about the hotel was the rate. It was cheaper than a couple other places I've stayed at (mainly ones that keep popping up on internet hotel searches for this price range and star grade), and the newness and MTR location are key. There were no reviews for this hotel when I first booked it, so I'm quite happy with the chance I took. I figured, it's a new hotel, it should be nice :)

I would definitely come back to this hotel, but I'm kind of afraid that I had paid a "new hotel" promo rate, and that it'll go up a lot the next time I come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank capsacin
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Paid 1210 HKD/per night.
Extra 550 HKD for late check-out (for keeping the room few more hours (!)

Pros: new, modern and not so small rooms (for hong kong standards), 5 minutes walk to jordan metro station,
Cons: Late answers to emails when making the reservation, not so clean rooms, nothing for breakfast, the woman staff at reception never smiles.

Overall, i would not stay here again, would pay few Euros more and would stay somewhere i feel more welcome.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buk81
Laura T, Senior Business Development Manager at Hotel Madera Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

As the hotel operator, we are very serious about every customer’s feedback, be it positive or constructive. A great deal of effort is put into establishing effective action steps in striving constant improvement.