“Drinking Sugar Cane Juice with Silvana is SWEET!”

Hong Kong Foodie Tasting Tours
Ranked #6 of 71 Food & Drink in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Owner description: Recommended by the Hong Kong Tourism Board and led by true Hong Kong locals from this gastronomic mecca, Hong Kong Foodie Tasting Tours offers unique, small-group walking tours to explore and experience Hong Kong's culinary culture. Our mission is to lead hungry souls from around the world to wander off the beaten path in search of Hong Kong's favorite foods. We have researched throughout the city, tried many eateries, talked to restaurant owners, before putting together itineraries featuring many of the locals' most-loved foods. Along our journey, you’ll also get a taste of Hong Kong's other flavors - its history, culture, architecture and many hidden gems. We are a member of Global Food Tourism Association, Travel Industry Council and Hong Kong Association of Travel Agents. All our Foodie Guides are licensed. Join us on a memorable and unique experience of Hong Kong! For more information about the tastings, check tour availability or book a tour, please visit our website.
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were in Hong Kong for a long weekend in January 2014 and had heard there was 'decent' food in the vicinity. Rather than simply trust our noses, we signed up to explore the city with the experts of Hong Kong Food Tasting Tours.

Our guide was Silvana and we embarked on our adventure with a group of ~8 at about 1:30pm. From there, we visited 5-6 venues for AMAZING foods, and got many more recommendations and tips for the duration of our stay.

The wonton - superb. The pork barbecue - thrilling. The tea tasting - heart warming. The dim sum - naturally, out of this world! And the sugar cane juice - so SWEET! I have to say that the snake soup recommendation we followed up on later was also spot on (snake, too, tastes like chicken).

Hong Kong can definitely be thanked for the fantastic food culture and cuisine, but without Silvana (awesome, awesome, awesome guide) and Hong Kong Foodie, we never could have tasted our way through such a fun Saturday.

We would strongly recommend this activity to anyone who A) likes food, B) is good to walk the streets for several hours, and C) doesn't mind learning a thing or two.

All reviews
"roast meats"
in 29 reviews
"tai po market"
in 25 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 25 reviews
in 21 reviews
"wonderful afternoon"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 7 February 2014

It was definitely one of the highlights of our 9 day stay in Hong Kong for myself, my husband and our two daughters who are 20 and 17 yrs old. We did the Central and Sheung Wan tour. The food was amazing and we revisited 3 of the 6 places in the tour. The wonton soup was the best. Silvana was an excellent guide, her local knowledge of Cantonese food and Hong Kong was excellent. We expected the tour to focus only on food, so it was an unexpected bonus for us when Silvana also provided information on the cultural history of the area and the restaurants we visited. Would recommend highly! Worth every cent.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this tour with HK foodie tours. We did the Central and Sheung Wan tour with 9 other participants from around the world. Our guide was a charming Hong Kong native who studied I the US so spoke fantastic English. She was knowledgable and friendly and presented all information on the tour in an informative and intimate manner. We were shown through so many interesting parts of the area, food related and otherwise, so it was a great way to begin to understand this pumping city.
As advised, we had a hearty breakfast at about 10 which left us in a good position to get stuck into the food. The directions provided for the staring point were clear and it was easy to find. We were also provided with a booklet with lots of other recommended food spots and a map.
Overall, really well organised, really well thought out, intimate, local food and cultural tour of this area of HK.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have moved to Hong Kong 2 years ago and never had the chance or initiative to visit Sham Shui Po. Came across the Sham Shui Po Foodie Tour on the official site and figured "Why not?". Few of my friends and I went on this amazing tour. To name a few qualities - friendly tour guide, Silvana, was professional and she spoke perfect English; food recommended/tasted was authentic and delicious: my fav are - fresh off the oven delicious pineapple bun, rich HK style milk tea, best ever braised goose & pork knuckle. We walked through the "older" part of Hong Kong and our tour guide shared with us local culture, history and pointed out hidden gems that you would definitely miss if you have gone to this area by yourself! Definitely a great way to learn about Hong Kong/authentic food cultural. I have highly recommended this foodie tour to all my friends and foreigner friends visiting HK! Some of my friends have gone on the Central/Sheung Wan tour and I have heard equally positively reviews from them! Don't hesitate to check out these 2 foodie tours if you are visiting Hong Kong!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I don't normally do 'tours' and thought initially that the price was a little bit steep - but once I'd done the tour, I understood that it was good value for money! I did the Central/Sheung Wan tour.
There was a group of 13 of us, I think, plus the guide, Silvana, who was lovely. Very knowledgeable and friendly. The six venues we visited were all interesting and served some great food (I went back to the dim sum restaurant and the wonton noodle restaurant a couple of days later).
A couple of the places we visited I would never have gone into on my own - just due to the lack of English signage and not really knowing what they sold or how to order!
Don't eat lunch beforehand! You do eat quite a lot of food but it's spaced out a bit and there is a little bit of walking around so you have a few minutes to digest:-))
The sugar cane place, by the way, is absolutely fine. Its decor is original and it's not fancy, but it's in no way unhygenic as a previous reviewer stated. All my group drank their juice and enjoyed it. We could see it being prepared in front of us.
Try to do this at the start of your holiday. I returned to the area and visited a few places that Silvana had mentioned (i.e. a market and the Central escalators) and then dropped in to a couple of the restaurants we had visited. You get a map showing the restaurants the tour visits as well as others that they recommend, so hang on to this, it's useful if you're in the area!
There is another tour you can do to, in the morning, I think. I would've done this if I'd had more time.