“Too many Chinese tourists and poor toilets and loud air-conditioning”

Holiday Inn Express HONG KONG KOWLOON EAST
Ranked #83 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Too many Chinese tourists and poor toilets and loud air-conditioning”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel is supposed to be brand new when I first stayed there but there were so many problems with the hotel:

The toilet won't stop flushing if you hit the lid by mistake;
The air conditioning is loud;
You can smell cigarette in a non-smoking room;

Also the hotel was populated by Chinese group tourists that a lot of the extras such as travel adapter and laundry bags - and they can be really noisy and disturbing. I heard door slamming and kids singing and running out loud in the corridor.

The free breakfast is not a buffet - it's a set. It's actually taste very nice - it's good if you are in a hurry.

I don't think I'm willing to pay more than HKD 800 for something like this.

Room Tip: Check your room before settling in. If you can't tolerate cigarette smell, get a room on 23rd fl...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CPHBear
Dominique B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express HONG KONG KOWLOON EAST, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear CPHBear

Thank you for sharing your experience at Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the inconvenience you encountered while staying with us.

Regarding the non-stop flushing and the noise generated from the air conditioning, we have already rectified the problems with our technicians. We also reminded our housekeeping staff to pay attention the smell of cigarette in non-smoking rooms when servicing the rooms.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards
Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
guangzhou
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel is great if you have time to spend on the metro and you are not in the rush. The rooms are clean and big, the service is fine the price is good for HK. But you must spend min half an hour to get into town. Around the hotel there is not mutch to do. The "seaview" is basically means when you look out from your window you can see the sea in between two residental tower so dont go there for the view either. The breakfast is a disgrace. All together I can only recommend this hotel for people who go to HK often, need a clean room to sleep in and thats all.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dominique B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express HONG KONG KOWLOON EAST, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Zsofiaw

Thank you for your valuable time on sharing your experience at Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East. We are glad to hear that you are satisfied with our rooms, service and pricing.

Our hotel is located atop MTR Tseung Kwan O station, we provide an easy starting point to travel freely around the city, only takes 20 minutes to reach Causeway Bay. There are 3 shopping malls nearby the hotel, also only a 20-minute drive to Sai Kung town for a fresh seafood lunch, dinner or boat cruise, and many more surrounding areas are worth to visit.

Please accept our sincere apologies with regards to the breakfast experience you encountered. We understand that it was not up to your expectation. The set breakfast is to offer travelers an uncomplicated breakfast experience at good value. Please rest assured that we are reviewing the breakfast with the restaurant management and currently working on improving our breakfast experience.

Thank you again for your comments and we are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards
Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Holiday Inn Express Kowloon East came up when I was confused selecting Hotel for my visit to HK this early April. Read about other comments saying about small room, but when I was arrived there, the room is considering spacious in my opinion compare to other Hong Kong Hotels at the same price. There are soft and firm pillow in bed. Clean and almost no smell of cigarette in room, even though my room is on smoking floor due to no more non-smoking room available when I was there. Bathroom is clean and fresh with complete amenities, and if it didn't you could ask Hotel staff to deliver any incomplete item to your room (there was no mineral water on my 2nd day and they delivered those in 5 minutes without much difficulty). The Receptionists are also helpful and efficient. Those are what made me happy with my choice to stay in this Hotel. There are also Lift with direct access to Pop Corn Mall below and MTR station is within walking distance from the Mall. The location is also nice, if you don't like the frenetic of HK cities, and wish for good night sleep, this place is just perfect for you. Breakfast come with 4 choices of set menu: Western, Chinese, Healthy and Vegetarian Menu. It would be a bit boring for you who stay more than 4 nights, hope they can improve on that...Overall my stay was wonderful, would plan to stay here again when I visit Hong Kong.

Room Tip: ask for higher level of rooms if you want better view
MELBOURNE
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Nice room with good bed and clean but small but effective bathroom. Breakfast is a bit average but love the free wi-fi and good access to MTR but this hotel is along way from just about everything - but nice price , nice room , nice staff

1 Thank vicTRIPvic
Singapore
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed here in March and the location was super convenient! 3 mins walk to the popcorn mall that connects 2 other shopping centres and 5 mins to the MTR station. The only draw back is that the room is a bit small and the bathroom sink area is kinda tiny. Would be good if Holiday Inn Express can have king size beds. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more :) not to mention, they have free breakkie which is gd!

• Stayed March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Stayed at this location bewteen March 26- April 05. Loved the direct access to the Popcorn mall and Tseung Kwan O MTR station. I've been staying at various hotels in Hong Kong, and probably I feel this Holiday Inn is one of the more satisfying stays I've had. The rooms feel really fresh and spacious... very comfortable stay. This location does not provide any in room amenities such as: shower and bath gel and refridgerator. Although it wasn't a big issue to me, but these little details may be significant to others. But I would prefer to have a fridge in my room. Holiday Inn by standard in the United States offers buffet breakfast, at this location in Hong Kong it offered set meals. We were given vouchers to redeem for breakfast each morning, although never happened to wake up early enough each morning. One thing it probably irritated me was that, one morning a foreigner guest was having breakfast in the restaurant, alongside with her meal she asked for a dish of fruits that was served. Therefore I thought it was okay for me to ask for a plate of fruits as my partner would've appreciated it. The server advised me that my voucher was only valid for one set, and fruits wouldn't be part of it. I understood that totally, but I was dissapointed to see inconsistency within their service. I value very customer service very much as myself, I work in the travel service industry as well. Overall, the stay was nice and comfortable and at a Hong Kong standard.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daaaviddd
Ichikawa, Japan
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This hotel is located in now developing suburb of Kowloon. It is situated above a shopping mall. And number of malls are connected by air conditioned bridge. You can buy all of the goods in the city except high end branded items.
Staffs are trained very well. They are able to satisfy your needs and more.
Since hotel is new, rooms are very clean and efficiently made. But my room had no fridge.
As HI Express, you get a free breakfast but at this hotel you have to choose from 4 prefixed breakfast menus. I was not impressed with this system. I would prefer more choice.

I recommend this hotel to anybody that has business on Kowloon side.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business