“Good hotel but member's benefits limited to spouse” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East

Ranked #64 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
“Good hotel but member's benefits limited to spouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Though we knew this hotel is distant from the main tourist areas, we were happy to book this hotel for two nights, as we have been very happy at other Crowne Plaza hotels in the previous stops before Hong Kong.
The standard layout of all Crowne Plaza hotels is exactly what we found at this hotel in Kowloon East. Arriving with our luggage via MTR, on a raining day, we were so relieved that we could go straight through the shopping mall and direct to the hotel without any problem. The view in our room is fabulous, the King bed and pillows are exactly how we wanted. Being Platinum member, we were welcome with fruit and a bottle of red wine ready in our room and also had free access to quick WiFi which was really helpful.
The bonus of staying here is the quietness around our room, hallway or even the lobby; only hear noise when we left the hotel and entered the adjacent shopping mall. Travelling on MTR in
30 minutes to busy tourist places was not a problem.
We had dinner on our first night at the hotel's Chinese Restaurant which gave us really good deal on set menu, good food. The only disappointment was that it took more than one hour to have all of our orders arrived our table.
The downside of our first experience in this hotel is the benefits to Platinum member different than other Crowne Plaza hotels that we have stayed.
Before coming here, the previous week we stayed at other two Crowne Plaza hotels in China. At those places, as Platinum member, my husband and I were upgraded to Club floor enjoying the Club Lounge for both my husband and myself. We were also given access to free breakfast either at the Club lounge or at the main breakfast floor.
But when we arrived this hotel, we were not on the Club floor and had no access to Club lounge etc. Worse, the Reception staff told me that I could only have one free breakfast each day. I had to tell the receptionist that I am not going to have breakfast on my own and leave my husband out. Wherever we go, we stay in the same room and enjoy the benefits offered always to two of us not just one.
So instead of my two days stay with breakfast offered only for one person, the girl told me that I won't be given breakfast on the first day but she will accumulate my breakfast of two days into the second morning when my husband and I can enjoy the free breakfast together !!! So, we only had the breakfast on our last morning stay before checking out.
This is a totally opposite to all other Crowne Plaza hotels that we had stayed in China a week prior to coming to this hotel.
Every IHG hotel I go to, there are always two drink vouchers given to me and my husband, as normal practice given to Platinum members. Again, the girl only gave me one drink voucher. The
next day, after a long day walking in the heat, we arrived back to the hotel. I had to go to the reception meeting another staff, telling her that every Crowne Plaza hotel or other IHG hotels that I stay with my husband, I always received two drink vouchers. Why given me only one? I won't enjoy drinking in the lobby lounge bar without my husband. The staff reluctantly gave me another voucher. When we went to the lobby lounge, the staff there gave us our drink but no nibbles as usually given at other IHG hotels.
Surely the staff should know that one extra breakfast or drink voucher for the spouse shouldn't be limited to just one person?
This is the only unusual treatment to Platinum members different than other Crowne Plaza hotels and other IHG hotel brands that we have been to.
We come to HK frequently and thought to try out this hotel, despite of the distance which wasn't a big deal, only need to change MTR once. As we will return to HK again for longer stay in January 2014, we would like to stay here again, if all the benefits given to Platinum member are given to both me and my husband, not just to me. It's a bit ridiculous to give benefit to just one person (My husband is also IHG member). Why other IHG hotels upgraded us to Club floor but not this hotel? Why the breakfast and drink voucher only to one person when we always book room for two wherever we go?
Perhaps we have been having great benefits for Platinum from other Crowne Plaza hotels, we assumed the standard would be the same here. This is the only downside that we are not sure whether we would want to book for our longer stay next January.
Reason for Visit:holidays
Next Destination:Singapore
ProsRoom Cleanliness, Sleep Quality, Amenities, Recognition for IHG® Rewards Club Members
ConsLocation, limited member benefit to spouse also ihg member

Room Tip: Request for higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Carlos S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear MCh0i

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Hong Kong. We are delighted to hear that the tranquility of the hotel environment and the convenient access to the Mass Transit Railway suited your travelling needs.

As complimentary internet access, welcome drink and an upgrade to the next room category are the standardized IHG® Rewards Club benefits for Platinum Elite members, the supplement breakfast benefits that was complemented during your stay was an extended special courtesy from the hotel due to your Elite status. In light of the situation, we are pleased to hear that an alternative was arranged for accumulating your complimentary breakfast benefits for enjoyment on the day of your departure.

As we do always, please be assured that constructive comments like yours are very important to us, and with that we are able to improve and strive to be the brand for you, creating Great Hotels Guests Love. For more information on your associated benefits, you may visit our IHG Rewards page for more information. http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/gb/en/enjoy-rewards?cm_sp=OSMGL-6C-GB-EN-EJ1-I-MAN-MemberBenefits-Default

We would love to have you back with us as our distinguish IHG® Rewards Platinum Elite Member in January. Once again, thank you for your valued comments and continuous loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Best regards
Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
cochin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Nice and clean rooms, though a little small, food is ok, not that great,the best part of this hotel is location, as it is in the same building of a shopping mall and also the metro, which helps a lot when u r in hong kong.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Canterbury, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Having travelled to Hong Kong before I researched where would be a good place to stay and get around this great city.

Although Kowloon East may seem a bit out of the way this hotel sits on top of a subway station. Hong Kong's subway (MTR) is superb - fast, air conditioned, efficient and very clean indeed. A three day pass, including return express train to the airport is cheap so I would recommend anyone to purchase an "Octopus Card".

Back to the hotel. We arrived late after a 10 hour fight and we were dog tired. The desk staff member was so helpful and courteous and made us feel at ease. The hotel is less than one year old and the room was top rate and at a very reasonable price.

We so loved the 25m outdoor pool and enjoyed the restaurant on the 47th floor. It offers a great view of the city and has an outdoor area which we enjoyed. I would advise making a reservation for dinner as we turned up on a Sunday evening only to find all tables booked. The restaurant staff were very accommodating and found us seats at the bar where we had dinner. Perhaps not the best seat in the house but we were grateful for the caring nature of the staff.

The room was top notch and set a standard that some USA hotels should emulate.

Room Tip: Get a high level room as I read that noise could be a problem at a lower level but I really don'...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

The Crowne Plaza is well situated little outside the city center and part of Tsuen Kwan O business mall / living district. But the MTR Station attached to the smart shopping centre directly below the hotel can transport you almost anywhere in Hong Kong within a short period of time. Our rooms were very clean, modern spacious and comfortable and had all the amenities expected. The staff were very alert and friendly and ensured our stay was perfect. I enjoyed the well-equipped gym, the Touch if Class Spa and all the great choice of dining facilities in the mall besides. All this for such a real good rate too.

Room Tip: try upper rooms above level 20, but not a must
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 140514am3
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel that we will come back... Actually, we stay for two nights first and have hold for eight more nights as a refundable booking to check this out as lots of comments was saying this hotel is far and some issues. After staying this two nights I would have to say no problem and very good. Location is just next to mtr station with ramp and cover access all the way. Room is big and tidy and very good for us a family with baby.

Look forward to stay the rest of my eights nights... And some sort of upgrade will be great for my next stays... Plan to come in Christmas again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Renochau
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The crowne plaza property is very nice. We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights. There is a mall attached to the hotel which is then connected to the metro station. This is extremely handy as the hotel is located slightly located away from main attractions. The metro is extremely easy to travel on and the frequency of the trains was outstanding. The airport is around 40 to 45 min away and a regular taxi fare is around 300 hong kong dollars one way.
The hotel does not have free wifi in the room however you can access free wifi from the lobby. We took the room package with breakfast which was a good deal. The bar on the rooftop was lovely with a good view. The staff were very helpful and friendly. And the best part is they speak english (98% of them atleast)!
Overall experience was good and would stay there again if I returned to Hong kong.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank joannedcosta31
Lahore, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Brand new hotel with modern rooms. Set in a leafy suburb, a sharp contrast to the concrete jungles of central, causeway or tst. Located next to the mtr so commuting was easy. Also adjacent to three large malls. Effecient service.
It's far from lantau so a long commute to disney and the airport. Also, its popular with conference groups so the lifts can get busy in the evenings.

• Stayed August 2013