“Bad Customer Experience”

Ranked #45 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 15-18 Oct 2013.

My feedback on this hotel is as below:
1) Signboards directing guests from Tseung Kwan O mtr station to the hotel can be misleading. Need an additional signboard in front of Kiehl's store to guide guests to turn left instead of going straight and getting lost (like I did).

2) On my first day at the hotel, I received a letter from the Business Development Manager (Trinette Lee) stating "we appreciate your valuable comments to improve further". I have not heard back from Ms Lee or anyone else with regards to my feedback on point #1 above. No acknowledgement that they received my feedback at all. Not impressive.

3) In my haste to check out on my last day, I left a 125ml jar of moisturizer in the bathroom. I went back 2 days later to check with their Lost & Found but to my disappointment, they told me that housekeeping did not record anything found in the room on the day I checked out. I find it hard to believe they would miss out a 125ml jar. It is clear that it was either discarded or taken for personal use. Very, very disappointed indeed.

4) The week after I checked out, I received an automated email requesting feedback on my stay with them. No matter how I tried, it was impossible for me to submit my review. The "Write a review" button wouldn't work (but strangely, the "Join our Rewards Club" button works). I then went to their hotel website to attempt submitting my review. I was asked for my details and even after submitting my details, I was told that they don't match the hotel records and requested me to call them for the feedback. Needless to say, I couldn't be bothered.

There is one thing that I really liked about this hotel though. The pillows are really fluffly and comfortable. But would I go back to this hotel just for the pillows considering their less-than-desirable service mentioned above?

Not if I can help it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank eleenpor
Carlos S, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear eleenpor

We appreciate your time to highlight your experience and comments about your stay. We are most regretful to learn the unpleasant experiences you have encountered.

Please rest assured that your previous comments to Trinette have been relayed to our management team once received. They have been reviewed and addressed with the departments concerned so that such experiences in the future do not recur.

Regarding the directional signage, the hotel name is indicated on MTR Exit C sign board. Upon entering PopCorn shopping mall, there is a ceiling signage which indicates the direction to the hotel entrance located right behind the mall’s Customer Service Counter and a floor standing signage to show hotel’s entrance.

Referring to the technical problem on submitting your review on our IHG website, we have informed the IHG technical team for their follow up.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Best regards
Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East

Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

At SGD59 per pax per night at a 4 star hotel, it was indeed a steal. I would probably be paying twice as much somewhere in a central location. The location was ideal for hiking at the Dragon's Back. Just take the MTR all the way to Shau Kei Wan, followed by bus 9 to To Tei Wan. The hike starts about 1km uphill from the point where we alighted. With the efficient MTR system, it was easy to get around. We could even head back for a shower after our hike before our food hunt in the evening.

Taking the bus from the airport took us a bit longer than expected (not recommended during peak hour), thus we took the MTR and Airport Express to the airport on the last day of our trip. It was easy to get around despite having our luggages with us. We took the MTR to Central (25mins), checked in our luggages at the in-town check-in service counter before going for our last round of wanton noodles at Mak's Noodles and egg tarts at Honolulu and Tai Cheong in the vicinity.

A bizzare incident happened on the last day when we checked out. We were told to pay for a meal which never had at the hotel. Apparently, someone quoted our room number or the waiter misheard the room number at the point of billing. My hubby and I had to wait for the staff to bring down some documents from the restaurant to double check. It was apparent there are some loopholes in their system. Hopefully they will learn to tighten the system. Perhaps making sure the person who quoted the room number is indeed an occupant of the room?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My first time in Hong Kong for a few years. On the down side this hotel is a long way from town. That said transport links to town are very good, staff are fantastic And the hotel makes a good base for doing business in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here on a recent trip. It is not exactly central but it takes 25 minutes on the MTR to get to Central Station, maybe that's a long way for some folks but the station is connected to the hotel and the entrance is less than a minute's walk through the shopping mall. The MTR is one of the best subway system's I have experienced with trains every 5 minutes or so. Great rooms and excellent service. The pool is good for swimming laps.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IanLGordon
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights with family in 3 separate rooms. Check in at 9pm was less than satisfactory it took over 40 mins to get rooms even though i booked 3months in advance. Reception tried to have us on different floors. It was only corrected when i complained that I was a club member and booked in advance. Breakfast is really good lots to choose from. Rooms are well decorated and clean. If you are travelling with children I would not recommend this hotel, its far from the city and its impossible to travel on the trains with a stroller. Taxi drivers dont want to take you into Hong Kong island from this hotel or vica versa. The Chinese restaurant within this hotel claims 5 star service however on our visit on a saturday night at 7.30pm they had no peking duck or bbq pork..The waiter was less than friendly. $100 for Wi Fi is a bit steep. Most of the staff are friendly however their English is very basic. A very modern Clean Hotel but it is not child friendly, more for adults only. $300 is taxi fare to airport no shuttle bus.. if you want to go on tours this hotel is not on the pick up, you have to go into Kowloon $100 by taxi.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It was our first time staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Group. We booked the Deluxe room type and requested via email for higher floor room before arrival. When we check-in the concierge staff advised our room have been assigned on the 39/F, which was the highest level among the Deluxe room type. We were very glad for the arrangement. But then he offered another option which was upgrade us to the Corner View room with broader view of the city, located on 32/F! We were thrilled! Just that we preferred watching tv straight infront (in which the tv position among the 2 room types were a bit different) so we decided to stay at Deluxe room. But then.. concierge staff Horace further suggested if we do not mind waiting 1-2 hours, we can be upgraded to the Suite located on the top floor (45/F) which was currently cleaning up! OMG.. how good could it be.. like winning a lottery >U<. Of course we took the offer and spent a relaxing time in the swimming pool while waiting. Even we did not have our room card yet but we can still enjoy the hotel facilities by presenting our names, very thoughtful.
We got our room 4511 around 4pm. The room was.. fabulous. Very big, separate living area and cosy bedroom, extremely spacious closet, luxury bathroom, big broad window with view of the whole Tseung Kwan O town. There was even a HK local guidebook for the room guests! Seriously the suite was far too big that we actually wasted the living area, only sat on the sofa watched tv for 10min during the stay. Simply because the bed was extremely comfy.. very big very comfortable both of us had very good sleep which charged us up totally. We headed down POPCORN mall for casual dinner at night, and had a drink at the lobby cafe using the free drink coupon from joining the hotel group membership.
Another good thing from this hotel was its check-out time is 12pm!! Nowadays many hotels set their check-out time at 11am, which is a bit rush. Even my sister was surprised because she thought check-out time was 11am and when she realized we got an extra 1 hour to relax in the room, she was even more satisfied about this hotel =U=
Staff were all very pleasant and helpful, and I particularly appreciated how the hotel cares all customers' requests and needs. My email request was entertained and followed up in thorough way. Room was clean and tidy meeting luxurious standards. I am sure even without the upgrade, all the other rooms of the hotel must be as good as it can be!
I will definitely choose the Crowne Plaza hotel & its groups whenever have chance in my future trip or short stay. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Tho Corner View room offers a bigger and curved shaped window for broader view of the Tseung Kwan O...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sennenni
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed for two nights as its value vs money appeared o be very appealing, it didn't let me down except the fact that I had to take the MTR (Subway) for about 25-30 minutes one way to reach HK central or Mong Kock nevertheless the station is 1 min away from the lobby, other than that it was a pretty decent stay with very modern rooms and comfy beds and pillows.
There is a pretty good mall right next to the hotel for shopping.
The staff are pretty helpful, when I arrived they already had every thing ready and it was a pretty fast check-in with a room upgrade because of my PC membership status.
I would say it was a pretty pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Go for high floors if you reckon a nice view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo