“great choice in Kowloon”

Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong
Ranked #110 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Los Angeles
“great choice in Kowloon”
Reviewed 7 October 2007

Stayed here for 7 days during the busy HK Jewelery Fair (late September). I prefer to stay on the Kowloon side (where this hotel is located), albeit HKCEC convention center is opposite on HK island. Really cannot fault this hotel for anything. I stayed on the club level which was nice. These rooms have apparently been upgraded beyond the standard accommodations, so I can’t comment on the regular guestrooms. Nice evening hors d'oeuvres and continental breakfast in the club lounge. Don't know how much extra this privilege costs, as I was on business...but I would imagine it could be a worthwhile supplement (esp. for 2 people) if priced at or below US $50/day. The greatest thing about this hotel is their location. While I don't do my shopping on Nathan Road (don’t fall for the hecklers on Nathan Rd…although SAM’S TAILOR SHOP (yellow sign on Nathan Rd) is very good and reasonably priced), you are literally right across the street from the MRT (tube) station. Alternately, you can walk to the Star Ferry (10-15 minute casual walk) and take the scenic route to HK island via the harbor ferry. Buy an Octopus card and you'll be all set for boats, trains and Airport Express. There is a minimum initial deposit of HK $150 required, but you will blow through this quick enough if you do any amount of moving about during your stay. It's also nice that they allow you to cash out at the end of your trip...in case you have extra money left on your Octopus. Only complaint is that in-room internet is not free (not even in Club level rooms). Again, since I was on business, this was not a big deal to me...but I resent any hotel that feels it necessary to nickel and dime its guests to death. Most Holiday Inn's have free internet, so not sure why this one is an exception. There are 2 PC workstations in the club lounge with free i-net for those without laptops. Staff attitude is generally very polite, although at times a bit stiff (I'm referring specifically to the club lounge staff). This is a nice hotel, but certainly not the Ritz or Shangri-la...so please drop the fussy attitudes (there was one lady at the club lounge desk in particular who was a real piece of work...they should force her to undergo attitude adjustment therapy of some kind.) I wrote this off to typical Hong Kong arrogance, so no big deal to me. Housekeeping staff was superb, as was the concierge. Just beware of high hotel prices during conventions. I think my executive club room was priced around HK 1600 (quite good!)...however, I recently looked into booking the same room for October and the lowest rate is nearly HK 3600! Forget it, for that price I will take my business to the Intercontinental! I will say that this is the second nicest Holiday Inn I've seen...only behind the Ploenchit (sp?) Road hotel in Bangkok (The other Holiday Inn in Bangkok looks dreadful). But nice or not, no Holiday Inn is worth USD $450 per night!

• Liked — location and value for money
  • Disliked — no major complaints
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank LAjetset

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2007

The Holiday Inn Golden Mile was booked through our travel agent as an overnight stopover after a holiday in Europe and I'm pleased to say it was excellent.
Our flight arrived into Hong Kong at 7.30am and after the crowds, disorganisation and dirtiness of most European airports coming into the Hong Kong airport was a revelation! No queues, helpful and plentiful staff and so clean. We caught the airport express train (so easy) and then a shuttle bus to the hotel. We were there by 8.30am and we could check into our room straight away. We were offerred an upgrade to a newly renovated room, which cost 250 hk dollars and we are glad we did. The room was beautiful compared to everything we had stayed in in Europe. It was large, with 2 double beds, fluffy fresh towels, an iron and ironing board(a real treat as no hotels we stayed in, in Europe had this), a free safe and cable tv. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The view was of the building next door which was awful, but I'd read on line this was the case. The hotel gym was well equipped and the pool on the top floor was clean and refreshing. When we could drag ourselves out of the room the location was great, an easy walk to the ferry terminal, shops and underground. The day we were there was Chinese National day and an extra treat was a fireworks display over the harbour.
We also found the staff very accommodating, friendly and efficient. We also loved that you can check in for flights from the airport express train station rather than drag bags on the train and off again.

• Liked — hotel room
  • Disliked — view from room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank amber28
Ireland
Reviewed 13 September 2007

We have just returned from a 3 week trip to China. Our stay in Hong Kong was the final leg of the journey. We had been very happy with all accommodation during our stay and the Holiday Inn did not let us down. From the very minute of our arrival we were treated with great respect and courtesy. Our flight from Beijing to Hong Kong had been delayed by 5hours and on hearing this the reception staff checked us in with great speed and ensured that our luggage was taken to our rooms immediately. The reception staff (especially Cindy) were all extremely friendly and helpful and all had very good english. We had 2 connecting rooms which were very spacious, spotlessly clean and had lovely fresh good quality fluffy white towels in the bathroom. Breakfast next morning was buffet style and every food you could wish for was there. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, all types of hot western food, chinese food and continental food. The breads, rolls, croissants etc were all very fresh and all food was continuously replenished right up to 10am. We used the restaurant 1 afternoon and the lunch memu was very extensive and again buffet style and food was great - especially the desserts. We stayed 3 nights. We would highly recommend this hotel. It is very well located. The hotel is has a 3* rating but I would say it is nearer to 4*.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Irishtripster
philippines
Reviewed 13 September 2007

You can be anywhere in a matter of minutes when you stay in this hotel. Everything is accessible. It is near the subway, convenience stores, restaurants,near the ferry, bus and taxi stop, the post office, near the shopping malls, near the Museums and near the bay! .

Room service was quick. The hotel staff very helpfu! They even found a way to open my son's toy in the middle of the night! ;) I highly recommend this hotel for families and business travelers. :) :)

We had a wonderful 3 nights stay in this hotel To quote my son, ' I love this house mommy!' :)

• Liked — location and service :)
  • Disliked — the stained carpet on the hallways of the 6th floor :)
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank mommyofbuzz
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 August 2007

When looking for a good stopover on way home, our travel agent suggested the Golden Mile, in Hong Kong. We got an excellent package deal which included a wonderful sightseeing tour, one free dinner and airport transfers. Fingers crossed we booked, and were not in any ways disappointed. My first impression of the hotel was ..wow...the staff were polite and friendly, and our room was much bigger than expected. I was prepared for the view of neighbouring apartments, and the rubbish that falls on to lower rooves, so saw it as a piece of culture in how other countries live. The room was a delight, large and clean with all amenities...and a comfortable bed! Location was excellent for the harbour and ferry, and shopping on Nathan Rd. I even had my hair cut and styled downstairs at the salon which was superb. Our included dinner was delicious. While food was reasonably priced, we did learn to drink only water at meal time and buy our drinks from convenience store and take back to our room to avoid exorbitant prices. Hotel staff were approachable , friendly and always smiling and willing to help. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, we could not fault it.

• Liked — Location, room size and amenities
  • Disliked — the view
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Judenz
Southport
Reviewed 18 August 2007

The Holiday Inn Golden Mile is a perfect destination hotel. Not only is it located in the Heart of Kowloon on Nathan Rd, it also has it's own mini shopping mall too, as well as four delightful dining experiences and a rooftop pool with bar, oh and a gym, if anyone really wants to continue their fitness on holiday.
I booked an executive room, so admittedly my experience is is based on their top rooms, which are spacious, you have a mini fridge and bar aswell as the chance to buy a cuddly Holiday Inn Golden Mile Panda bear for only £2.00!!. Free bottled water is given everyday in the room as is a clean bathrobe and slippers(perfect for the pool). Also if you stay on the executive floor, you have your own personal check in and free breakfast lounge and internet use, as well as free DVDs to watch in your room. I honestly felt like I was a queen for the week, and at a fraction of the price. Really very happy with my stay

• Liked — The staff were fantastic
  • Disliked — The foreign touts at Nathan rd entrance
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 July 2007

You're paying for the location...plain and simple.

The hotel is moderately dated. You can immediately tell that there hasn't been a good renovation in years. The lobby is dim, the hallways are used, and the room we stayed in was clean but old. Nothing is falling apart but everything is used. The redeeming factor is that it's not dirty!

The gym is pretty large and houses all types of equipment. I used it on a couple occasions, and it was sufficient.

The lobby is always busy. The bar/restaurant seems to be a pretty hip place for people to hangout, although we didn't try it. The check-in was semi-chaotic but we were given our rooms momentarily. Also, cabs will know of the hotel but they won't be able to drive you the entrance since cars are parked there left-n-right. You'll have to wheel your own luggage in and the porters will not notice you until you're already in the check-in line and don't really need their assistance anymore - but they'll insist on taking your bags.

The hotel is located a block away from the train station - super convenient. It's close to the harbour, it's surrounded by shops and restaurants (but where in HK are you not!). It's also the stomping grounds of many black market specialists - they hand out in front of the hotel day-n-night.

Again, nothing about the hotel to brag home about. Its best feature is its location. We didn't spend any time in the hotel aside from the several sleeping hours at night, so it fitted our agenda well. If you're expecting some posh hotel just because its the neighbor of The Peninsula...think again.

• Stayed June 2007