“A great hotel with helpful and friendly staff”

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Ranked #60 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Surrey, UK
“A great hotel with helpful and friendly staff”
Reviewed 1 March 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at JEN Hotel for Valentines and we were very happy with our stay. I was concerned that the hotel was not close to the MTR, however the tram link was quite close. The hotel also has its own bus that can drop you off at key points in the city. The room we stayed in was not huge, but it was very clean and had a great view over the harbour. The staff were always polite and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purplealientraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 13 February 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Jen for the Christmas week- we got a great price as part of a package with the flights at Lastminute.com. Transport-wise- there are free hotel buses into town which were very useful- you can get to the Metro that way, and then to the airport on the Metro, or vice versa. The tramline runs very very close to the hotel, so that was handy. It's not near a Metro station itself, though.
We liked the look of the hotel- quite glam and certainly clean and business-like. For a small extra cost we'd upgraded in order to get a harbour view room- this also included wi-fi in the room, and as it turned out, breakfast buffet in the mornings and from 6-8pm complimentary cocktails/snacks in the bar, although that wasn't advertised- they also gave us coupons to get free juice and water from the bar, and an allowance of several drinks from the minibar daily- water, juice, and beer. Because this was welcome but unexpected, we were nervous about taking advantage of this offer- the English of the staff is good but not very conversational, so they didn't explain it very well. We saw a few other people asking anxiously about it, as well. The breakfast buffet wasn't fabulous, especially later in the morning, when things tended to run out. It was all we needed though- a little something to feed us through the morning. The breakfast staff WERE a bit overzealous about removing plates etc. before you were quite finished. The cocktail offer was great in principle, but in reality there was usually just one harassed person trying to make drinks rather unwillingly- you could tell the drinks were free, as you had to press a bit to get each one, which was a bit embarrassing- you felt as if you were taking advantage. Cocktail snacks a bit rubbish and rather sparse. But hey, free. The cleaners were good, although tended to hang around in the corridors until you left for the day, which meant you felt a bit pressured to leave. Our room was small but nice, with a fab sliding door between the bedroom and the rest of it. Gorgeous carpets in the corridors. On our 3rd night, a large family moved into the 2 rooms beside us and made a terrible noise at night- after the 2nd night, we complained, and they were v. nice about moving us to another room away from the noise. Chocolates every night beside the bed! There were computers available in the bar if you needed to use them, though we took a laptop along. You could check your tab online if you were buying drinks from the bar or using the minibar a lot. The rooftop pool was a big selling point for me when we were booking, but a bit too chilly at nights for me to have even one swim. A little gym upstairs we could have used if we weren't so lazy. Good area- you could just walk into town centre, couple of gorgeous bakeries on the street- fab view from the bar over the town, and you could go up and smoke on the roof by the pool if you liked- they had smoking rooms, but I wouldn't want to smoke in the room- the windows don't open, so it would just become a smokebox. Overall, a really nice hotel I would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Free cocktails!
  • Disliked — Free cocktail service
  • Stayed December 2008
4 Thank Helen A
Hampshire
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The Hotel Jen is at the western end of Hong Kong island but with a 2 HK$ (20p) tram service in the next road and cheap taxis always at the ready, the fact you are not in the centre of everything is no real problem. We booked a Jen room which means you get something a little larger than the typical minimalist HK hotel size and a little extra for a bay view is well worth it. Breakfast was included and we also had use of the top (28th floor) sky lounge which has fantastic views and where we could have breakfast if we wanted. Our package included some free add-ons (cocktails in the evening and a mini bar plus laundry allowance) which made the extra we paid excellent value for money. And, there was no charge for using their internet connection with their PCs. What a delight!

The room had a nice feel to it with some good design touches and all arranged conveniently. No bath but a great shower. The bed was very comfortable and the oak sliding partition gave extra privacy within the compact design.

Breakfast was good with the usual western options plus Chinese alternatives if you wished. One advantage of eating in the main restaurant on Floor 2 rather than in the sky lounge was that you had a chef who would cook eggs to your liking.

We gather than this was once a Novotel but the revamp with the new owners has definitely lifted the quality and style. And what you see on their website is what it actually looks like. Be aware though that the rooftop pool, which looks great, is closed in January and February so we didn't have the benefit of that facility. The gym is small but functional.
The staff were friendly without being intrusive

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BiggerAl
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Such a good surprise in the HK hotel scene, where a good bedroom can costs easily more than 300 Euros... At hotel Jen, i've had a good deal for 900 HKD per night which is around 85 Euros and i've been very satisfied.
The hotel is in an interesting local district very typical with a few chinese markets and a lot of traditionnal shops which are so hong kongese but Sheung Wan is at walking distance from the busy and ultra fashion district of Central (35 minutes) or you can reach it by tram in less than 15 minutes.
But the location is not the only advantage because this hotel has an interesting design and moreover, it's very clean. The decoration is simple but very modern and very comfortable with a comfy day bed in front of the large window overlooking the streets of Sheung Wan, the bay or the mountain depending of the room category you'll choose. Even the standard room is nice enough and spacious enough for a nice stay.
About the staff, all of them are smily but don't expect something as good as FS or Mandarin Oriental but for this price, it's more than good.
Sincerely, in this category, this is the best hotel to stay and i'll be happy to choose again this hotel at any time i'll go to HK.
However, just an advice, if you're a bit shy, don't choose the "Jen" category because these rooms have the bathroom in the same space of the bedroom but these rooms are more trendy...
A very good adress to remember if you want to have a nice stay in this expensive city.

• Liked — nice design, good staff, attractive location, amazing value...
  • Disliked — nothing special
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank RCBLHKG
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Different people value different aspects of a hotel when they travel, so I’ll just list what I liked and what I didn’t. Then you can see whether there’s stuff that will bug you out, or stuff that you just simply don’t care about so this will be a great hotel for you.

The pluses for me:

The room was one of the most quiet I’ve ever stayed in, anywhere in the world. What bliss to NOT hear slamming doors, noisy neighbors, TVs, and cleaning staff shouting at each other in the hallways.

Found the ironing board and iron very useful for last minute touch ups.

The shower was hot and powerful.

Hair dryer was excellent as well, I hate those weird contraptions that are stuck to the wall, and emit the weakest lukewarm air. This is the type of powerful hair dryer I’d use at home.

The room had very clever use of space. It wasn’t a very large room, but the designers made it feel airy and comfortable.

Plugged my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone straight into a jack, so could listen to all my own music through the TV. Excellent.

I didn’t find the location that much of a problem. I prefer to be away from the touristiest areas anyway.

Bellboys were friendly and efficient, especially one guy from the Philippines on the morning we were leaving.

The minuses for me:

Each light switch came with this really bright diode that stayed on at night. Someone had drawn black marker all over it, so I assume it bothered other people at night too. It was so bright that in the end we ended up sleeping with the blinds up, so as to not notice the tiny pinpricks of light that somehow managed to light up the whole room.

They only change linens on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, unless they’re “soiled”. There was a sign to that effect by the door. Many hotels have a cardboard or plastic sign that you put on the bed if you want your linens changed, but this is the first time that I’ve seen a hotel have this sort of set arrangement in place. I’m not a neat freak or anything, we’re staying in a hotel in Taipei right now, and we only request that the maids change the linens once every three or four days, depending on how we feel. I just think that it would have been nicer if the choice had been left to the guest, rather than the hotel.

The worst thing for me was the service at breakfast. Waiters were trying to take our plates whilst we were still eating, and took plates away even when we were still using them. We didn’t even eat that much or take that long, but it felt like they just wouldn’t leave us alone!

I thought it was just bad luck on our part, but we saw this poor business guy having to shout at a waiter, “I ALREADY told your colleague TWICE what my room number is!” The breakfast staff were very intrusive and in your face, and I found this to be an annoying way to start the day. And although I normally never have the buffet breakfasts because I tend to eat very little in the morning, I still thought that the spreads should have been more generous and refilled more often. How ironic that had they not upgraded us, we wouldn’t even have gone to the buffet breakfast!

All in all, I’d probably stay here again, but would skip the harassment that breakfast turned out to be.

Oh, and I was going to write all these comments down onto the comment card, but when I had left the hotel I noticed that the guest comment card wasn’t even pre-paid. I was about to go to the airport and had too much stuff to do to go hunt down a post office in all the rush, so I never did it.

• Liked — the modern room
  • Disliked — somewhat translucent bathroom door
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cat666
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Jen while in Hong Kong to attend a family wedding. We booked a Jen room and were greeted with amazing views of the harbour each morning. We really enjoyed the location of the property as there were many shops and restaurants within walking distance. Housekeeping was sometimes slow in getting our room made up, and the beds were a little hard (as they usually are in Asia), but we had a great stay during our time there. My only real complaint would be the toiletries that were provided - they made you smell like your junior high janitor. So, if you're thinking about booking a stay here, do it. You won't be disappointed with the array of "daily life" activities surrounding the hotel. Just make sure to bring your own soap and shampoo.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — toiletries
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank baby8684
Singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Was given a very good rate hence decided to give the hotel a try. Initially concerned about the location as there's no MTR station within sight, but alas my fears were unfounded! Hotel Jen is located in a smashing neighbourhood full of local eateries and McD and KFC and even a wet market nearby! Best of all, its only 10 mins by bus to Central for everything posh and luxurious!

Hotel has everything I need without being OTT. Luxurious bedding, free wifi (which is EXTREMELY IMPT IMO), dvd player, decent restaurant, fantastic seaview (ok not the pretty harbour who cares), pool and a gym, which is extremely rare for mid-range HK hotels. The hotel also has in place plenty of green features such as electricity auto switch off once key card is removed from slot.

My only gripe is the Jen Lounge which although is pretty, lacks in service. During both times I was there, the only staff on duty felt sloppy, and breakfast was simply not inviting. Croissants and other breads were cold and hard, so I suggest its wiser to eat at the cafe.

The hotel also offers a hourly shuttle bus service (mornings and evenings only) to 6 locations, so you can conveniently use it for macau ferry transfer, mtr connection or even pick-up/drop off to HK station for mtr to the airport. Brilliant!

• Liked — Free wifi, bed, location
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family