“Poor service”

Hotel Jen Hong Kong
Ranked #61 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I had booked Hotel Jen via an internet booking company for our recent stay in Hong Kong. The price was good and the hotel reviews looked positive so we were looking forward to our stay. However, when we arrived at the hotel tired after travelling all night we were informed by the front desk receptionist that they had not received payment for our booking from the internet company and tried to make us sign an agreement so that they could charge our credit card their walk in rate if the problem with the internet company could not be cleared up. Needless to say, we were less than happy about this and did not want to pay the ridiculous walk in rates after getting a good deal in the internet. The two ladies at the front desk suggested we try to contact the internet company to try to solve the issue with them but when we asked to use the computers at the lobby they said "those are for hotel guests only"! So we were left with the option of leaving our luggage there and trying to find an internet cafe nearby in an area we had never been to tired and in desperate need of a shower I should add. We just smiled and politely declined as we had already decided we would not stay somewhere with such poor service and instead took the tram to Central, found an internet cafe and made reservations elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Jen Hong Kong

Reviewed 5 November 2009

I just stayed there a few nights ago. The actual hotel is small but very nicely decorated.

The drawback is its location. Its in a local residential area , far from the central area. There isn't even an MTR (subway) station nearby. There isnt anything in walking distance to go to. Not a starbucks, a bar/lounge, or any other attraction a foreigner would like to be around.

The hotel does indeed offer shuttle service to station and popular destination, but you need to schedule your day around it. No feasible.

If you want to see HK properly, you're better off staying in Kowloon or Wanchai on the Hong Kong island.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2009

This was an unexpected find. Cheap by UK standards, but absolutely first class, with excellent service, food etc. Pay extra for a harbour view - it's worth it! And upgrade to a Jen Room and get free drinks at happy hour, private Jen Guest lounge on 26th floor, later breakfast, mini bar allowance etc etc. It's a bit further out than most hotels but there's a free shuttle bus and the trams are a very short walk away.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alanrus
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Location:
I should have stayed at a more central hotel than this one for the purposes of my business trip. I was only in HKG for a short while and it is only for this reason I give the hotel an average rating. It is not for a business person on a short trip. You WILL need a cab for this one unless you are visiting HKG as a tourist. I had to lug around a laptop and a bunch of other stuff for presentations. I felt like I Love Lucy trying to fit myself past the tram turnstile (I work for a charity so I had initially tried to save $ by using public transport-it didn't last). If you are a tourist I would totally recommend this hotel because (as I found out later) it is in a very "Chinese" part of HKG. So you really do get the experience of visiting a foreign land. I was right smack in the middle of the dried fish and pharmaceutical markets.
Room:
The hotel is clean and very modern. My room was clean and it had a fantastic little desk area for me to work out of. The wifi was not free I think $10 for the day. There were outlets for me to charge my cell and laptop. I thought room service closed too early but it did seem like the downstairs bar was very popular. I did not have time to explore much of the hotel. The staff was attentive and kind, although they didn't speak as much English as I had hoped or needed.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Vanessa M
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I will only echo the excellent reviews already posted for this hotel. Highly recommended... No MTR stop yet (although two are under construction within a minute of the hotel) but the tram (HK$20 flat fare) which is far more interesting stops nearby and will have you in Central in 10 minutes or so.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pauladamsuk
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I booked our ten day stay in HK much earlier in the year and worked my way through a lot of hotels recommended by TA before settling on the Jen (pronounced Yen) Hotel in Western District. It was an excellent decision and the hotel proved to be one of the most welcoming and comfortable we have ever stayed in.

Go for the middle-price Jen rooms as the best deal; in with the price are a full buffet breakfast (with western favourites like bacon, eggs and beans as well as a good cold selection or eastern rice/noodles and soup), free wifi to keep up to date with the news at home, a daily allowance of $HK100 from the minibar, enough for a couple of beers and a coke, and at six o’clock the pleasure of watching the harbour traffic from the 28th floor with a glass (or two) of white wine and a tasty plate of nibbles.

The room is not huge but so well designed that you hardly notice; our beds were supremely comfortable, the spacious shower hot and powerful, the ironing facilities and electronic safe came in handy as did the tea/coffee facilities. The blind shut out the light well, the a/c was efficient and little touches like the low-level light you could switch on to find your way to the bathroom in the night was much appreciated. Noise? Almost none with thick carpets in the corridors and a heavy door too.

Reporters have mentioned that the hotel is a “bit far out” … well I don’t call a ten minute shuttle ride to Central (Star Ferries or the Airport Express/MTR/bus station) “far out”, but beware, it leaves ON THE DOT of the hour. The trams run along Des Voeux Road which is parallel to Queen’s Road and at $HK2 they are still the best bargain in the world. By the way, buy your octopus card as soon as you can ($HK150 with $HK50 refunded when you hand it back); you can use it on any form of public transport and it saves fiddling around with change. I even bought a cup of coffee with mine on the last day to use up the last $HK20!!

All in all with its modern décor, friendly and knowledgeable staff, good food, comfortable rooms and excellent value, I have no hesitation of recommending the Jen Hotel to any Hong Kong travellers.

Foodie tip: Turn right out of the hotel and walk east along Queens Road for three minutes to the local market; take the lift or the escalators to the third floor and eat where the locals eat. Better and cheaper than Temple Street and not a tourist in sight. The freshest fish, meat or poultry and vegetables you can find and if (with a couple of big bottles of local beer) you manage to pay more than $HK60 a head, you were being very piggy!

ps - I've just read the report before mine and cannot understand why they complain about the (admittedly restricted) breakfast in the SkyLounge when there was a feast of food in the second floor restaurant!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank waysidemen
Reviewed 19 October 2009

After reading some good reviews about this property I think I was expecting a little too much.Let me start with the room which had a different lay out because the wash basin is in the room and on your right when you enter (had never seen anything like that) not that it was a problem just different , the room (Jen room) itself is big enough,the TV was a good size and the view of the harbour was uninterupted and looked very nice specially during the night.It is a little far away from the MTR (you can take the tram to get to where you want but that again takes longer to get to any place) if you return late at night then the only option is a taxi from the closest MTR station which will set you back about 25 HKD/trip.The most disappointing bit was the breakfast (at the Sky lounge) it would frequently run out and you have to wait for some time for staff to replenish the food there was only one attendant ofcourse the single reception staff(they have two receptions-one on the first floor and one on the 27th floor) would help when more people were eating.The scrambled eggs were 'runny' and had no flavour plus choice of fruits were limited to three and again would finish quickly.The staff attitude was inconsistent some of them were always happy to help but some did'nt seem to happy if I asked many questions (again maybe I am wrong but it just felt that way).Having a 7/11 and a mcdonalds next door does help but the hotel is a little away from most touristy places(but if you are looking at a quieter place to stay then this is good)the shuttle service is good and always on time,it takes you to the most important stops and you can start your tours from there. The A10 bus service from the airport takes you literally right till the hotel's doorstep so another plus there.Overall an average hotel and I would probably use them again if the proce was as good.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo