“World Cup not available! ”

Novotel Century Hong Kong
Ranked #115 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
“World Cup not available! ”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

You would think that coming to Hong Kong and especially staying at a hotel which belongs to an international network, being able to watch World Cup games would be a given! Especially during the round of 16. Well this is definitely not the case! Apparently the channel broadcasting the World Cup is a subscribers only therefore the hotel did not think of paying a subscription in order to cater for clients' needs during such an important football event!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andri P
NCHKGR, Director of Rooms at Novotel Century Hong Kong, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Andri P,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

About 65% of the matches of this years' World Cup are being shown on a local free view channel with the remaining 35% being on a paid subscription. Of the 65% nearly all were/are being shown in our bar which in addition to showing the match has speacial F&B promotions. Alternativly the channel is available to watch in the comfort of your room.

I regret that the round of 16 was chosen by the network to come under the paid category, I am happy to report that 2 of the 1/4 finals, both semis and the final are available on free to view and are available either at our AK's bar or in room.

Best regards
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Scotland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Please don't be put off with the situation of this hotel. It's actually really convenient for everything but on first impressions you may be disappointed and anxious. Hong Kong is chaotic and the area the hotel is in looks dubious. It's NOT!!! It is very safe. We arrived very late but the check in was quick and efficient and the lifts took us to room 2321 on the executive floor. The room was small but once we got used to this (we had just come from Dubai where our room was gigantic) it was perfect. Spotlessly clean and comfortable. Great bathroom with plentiful towels changed daily, excellent toiletries, a turn down service and fresh bottled water delivered every evening . Our room was very quiet and on the corner so we had a pleasant view of the river and the playing fields- along with the high rise buildings that make Hong Kong what it is. We didn't realise we were on a smoking floor but there was a portable a/c unit outside our room which got rid of any smell of smoke. We had complimentary breakfast included and it was perfect and the views from the breakfast room were amazing. We also enjoyed complimentary afternoon tea and cocktails! The pool and an excellent gym are on the 6th floor. The gym in particular had plenty of cardio and weight machines. Towels were available. The pool was a good size and spotlessly clean with sun loungers and soft seating surrounding it. The hotel staff were most helpful and charming and greeted us every morning with a cheery hello. The hotel is an easy 10 minute walk by covered walkways to the Convention Centre and the Star ferry terminal. There are plenty of restaurants and snacking eating places on the way to the Convention centre and directly across the road from the hotel there is a "7 -11" supermarket and a Pacific Coffee Company(similar to Starbucks or Costa) that stayed open very late. It is also an easy walk to get to the main shopping centres but no covered walkways to assist you dodge the traffic and the sun. There are two restaurants in the hotel - one Italian on the 1st floor which we didn't visit - and a very good Chinese restaurant in the basement which we did eat in and it was well worth the money. The express airport bus stops outside the hotel, runs every 20 minutes and is free between the Hong Kong station on the MTR and the hotels on its route. You can check your luggage in at Hong Kong MTR station and get the train to the airport. This is not expensive and quick and direct, We would happily stay in this hotel again and recommend it to you.

Room Tip: Room 2321 on the top floor is a corner room with good views but it is on a smoking floor. The floor...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
NCHKGR, Director of Rooms at Novotel Century Hong Kong, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Nin4,

Many thanks for leaving a very thorough review of your stay.

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the cleanliness of your room as well as the helpfulness of our team.
I have shared your kin d comments with our Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Chinese restaurant located in our building and urge you to try our excellent buffet restaurant - Le Cafe - and Pepino - our authentic Italian - on your next stay with us.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back on your future visits to Hong Kong.

Very best regards
Scotland
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

No view over to Kowloon unless you count a glimpse between buildings but a great location if you need to get to the Exhibition Centre. The walk is on raised walkways well away from traffic.
Rooms are a reasonable size for HK and very clean. This time we booked an Executive Room. Nice to have the Executive Lounge for breakfast. All the Executive rooms are on a high floor so away from Street noise.
Staff at reception very friendly and helpful. You can leave your suitcase for a few days if you are travelling to Guangzhou and back again - very useful.
Nice bar with good snacks. Buffet restaurant is good. In the past I have tried the Chinese restaurant in the basement. Very busy so you need to book in advance but good food.
I will stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear CJSinScotland,

Really appreciate you taking the time to write a thorough review of your stay with us.

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass on your positive feedback to our premier lounge and front desk teams, as well as to our Director of F&B. The staff will be glad to see their efforts are bearing fruit.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Best regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel has exceeded my expectation as checking in and out was a swirl and food served in restaurant for buffet breakfast was also awesome. We stayed in the executive room and the lounge service was excellent as staff even recognized and addressed me by my name even after 11/2 years after I last put up in the hotel.
Cleanliness of room was also five stars for a four star hotel. The only offset is location is quite a walk from the subway station. No a big deal for us as there are lots to see as u walk along back to hotel.
I must say the fitness centre and swimming pool is also where u can spend time if u have already done all your shopping.
Overall experience one word AWESOME.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bernie N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your return visit with us.

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your feedback along to the Director of F&B regarding the breakfast, however I am especially pleased to let our ladies at the premier lounge know their efforts are bearing fruit.
Our Executive Housekeeper will also be very glad to hear that the extra effort him and his team have been putting in is also really paying off.

I look forward to welcoming you back (hopefully in less than 1 1/12 years!).

Very best regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I always remember that I am back in Hong Kong when I check into a hotel. Its just purely business and no smiles. Maybe its Hong Kong, but for once, I'd wish they say "Good Morning" or "Hello, how are you today?" to you.

For check-in, I carried my own bags into the lobby. I approached the Le Club counter and i always wondered what the Priority Welcome for Gold members meant. The guy at the designated counter was just like any other counter. A short awkward silence later after our eyes met, I said Hello, I would like to check in and handed him my passport. Eyes down on the computer, checking the PMS system, and a few awkward seconds later, I asked: "Do you have my reservation?" "Yes" came the curt reply. Clack clack clack on the conmputer, a few seconds later, I asked: "What benefits do you have for Gold members at this hotel?" "We have internet free for members". Click click click on the mouse... I asked again: "Do you have any upgrade privileges for Gold members" "Yes, we are very full, but we can still upgrade you to a superior room". Thank goodness, some good news.

Well... that's it. Welcome to Hong Kong. ;-) The upgraded room was still small but okay by Hong Kong city standards.I decided to skip breakfast at the hotel as there were good cafes around serving authentic Hong Kong roasts, and morning breakfast.

Internet was decent, just that the Wifi required re-logins all the time, they don't log you in automatically if you return after a day's work - a hassle coz, their system are not very smartphone friendly either.

Pleasant was the jasmine tea aroma scent that they disperse throughout the lobby.

This hotel is all about location, not service. It is a 7-10 minutes walk to the Hong Kong convention centre and the Wanchai MTR station.

Upon checkout, I tried another staff at the reception. When I approached, I am glad that I didn't have to break the ice by talking first. And the first sentence was: "How can I help you?". Ahh... no Hello, no Good afternoon.... Quintessential Hong Kong business efficiency. ;-)

Room Tip: Book during promotions when you can get cheaper rates, or if you are Le Club Gold and Platinum membe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AsiaSeasonedTraveler
NCHKGR, Director of Rooms at Novotel Century Hong Kong, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear JustMeSingapore,

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review on your stay with us.

Please accept my apologies for the rather perfunctory arrival that you experienced. We strive to create a welcoming and friendly atmosphere for all our guests, I am happy to report that all our front line staff will be attending Accor wide training to improve guest service skills focusing on that first impression.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the number of dining options available in close proximity of the hotel in addition to our closeness to the MTR.
It is especially good to hear that you noted the scent that we circulate in our public areas. This is something we are constantly aiming to perfect and it is good to see our efforts are bearing fruit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Century when I am confident you will enjoy the warm experience Accor is known for delivering.

With best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

In Hong Kong everything is on top of each other, this hotel you really feel that. It is sandwiched inbetween other skyscrapers on all four sides. Everything about it is claustrophobic and cramped. The room was ridiculously tiny, especially bearing in mind the amount you pay. Our view was of a block of flats with laundry hanging off it, which in some ways was interesting to watch people going about their lives. I wasn't overly impressed with anything, it is very standard modern hotel, typical chain with nothing to set it aside from anywhere else.

Location wise, it is amazing, right next to Tsim Sha Sui metro station, and a few minutes walk to the double decker tram stops and the ferry pier to get across to Kowloon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rastnim
NCHKGR, Director of Rooms at Novotel Century Hong Kong, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Rastnim,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I regret that you found our rooms small and cramped, we do try to maximise the space that we have by adjusting our room layout and I thank you for your feedback. For those that enjoy extra room I do recommend our executive premier junior suites which offer a separate living space for guests to relax in.

I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed our location/proximity to a number of transportation options.

I hope to welcome you back on your future visits to Hong Kong.

With warm regards
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is just what you expect nothing more but nothing less.
No bad surprise. I go there with a free spirit.
Good location.
You can walk to the Star ferry just a few minute walk to go to Kowloon, get the Tram just a few second walk take the MTR at Wan Chai station.
Everything is in walking distance

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear capitainfrenchy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am pleased to see that we met your expectations, although we aim to exceed the expectations of our guests, and you found our location ideal for access to various public transport.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your future visits to Hong Kong.

Warm regards